Pi Day Watch

ImperceptibleNinja
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm tempted to say, 'which is still more decimal places than you'd ever need for practical applications', or something like that, but I'll shut my inner phycisist up, because that's actually pretty cool.

Incentive to to go university to do maths: There are enough people who get properly excited about Pi to have proper parties celebrating it. I've never been to a Pi party before, but last night was quite epic.

Does anyone know where I can find the Seahorses song, 'Something Tells Me'? That has itty bits of Pi in the backing vocals. 'tis cool.
SsEe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
3.141592653589793238462643383279 5028
84197169399375105820974944592307 8164
06286208998628034825342117067982 1480

I learned it years and years ago. Used to know about 150 digits but if someone requests a recital you rarely get that far so the last few have dropped off.
ukebert
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

I'm sure I can remember it to that number of places.

Jake22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
Incentive to to go university to do maths: There are enough people who get properly excited about Pi to have proper parties celebrating it. I've never been to a Pi party before, but last night was quite epic.
Really? There are masses of undergrad math students at my university (huge maths faculty) but I don't think that there are many who are very interested in maths, probably not enough for a party.

Saying that, I don't think that any of the people who are interested in maths are interested in Pi day.

The other reason I don't like it is because I think it enforces a negative stereotype of the maths enthusiast as a wacky numerologist interested in learning lists of numbers.
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jake22)
Really? There are masses of undergrad math students at my university (huge maths faculty) but I don't think that there are many who are very interested in maths, probably not enough for a party.

Saying that, I don't think that any of the people who are interested in maths are interested in Pi day.

The other reason I don't like it is because I think it enforces a negative stereotype of the maths enthusiast as a wacky numerologist interested in learning lists of numbers.
What? You mean maths isn't just working out the 92837498237498372984th digit of pi?!

*gives up*

Incidentally, my teacher made me learn it to 61 decimal places.
Overmars
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ImperceptibleNinja
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

I do agree that it encourages misconceptions about maths and the people who study it a bit. Our party didn't take itself too seriously, if that counts for anything. If someone had walked in and told us we were a bunch of very sad, strange people, we probably would have paused, then gone, 'Yes... we know. But check out this apple pie!' :cool:
bon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lusus Naturae)
I particularly liked:

"While there are many infinitely long numbers in maths, pi is the only one in which an infinitely simple idea - the circle - unfolds into an infinitely complex value. This paradox drives many people to distraction."
agreed

who has actually been 'driven to distraction'!? :confused:
bon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
nope
qgujxj39
Report 10 years ago
Did you know that pi is supposed to be pronounced "pee"?
ImperceptibleNinja
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tommmmmmmmmm)
Ooh, excellent. I can feel mathematically inspired every time I go to the toilet.
qgujxj39
Report 10 years ago
Although it makes the old jokes about apple pi and the like redundant, it opens up a new wealth of possibilities :p:
ImperceptibleNinja
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't really like how you'd have to re-think pi parties to fit in with this pronounciation.
SimonM
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by insparato)
Pi day is my birthday . Its the 22nd July because its 22/7 which is the diophantine approximation of Pi.

Diophantine approximation? I thought that in mathematics diophantine refers to "integer equations".

Also, I know it to 40 decimal places (don't put that much time into it, just enough to keep the brain ticking over (learning the squares is of more interest to me))
qgujxj39
Report 10 years ago
I only know it up to 3.14159
Jake22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Although it makes the old jokes about apple pi and the like redundant, it opens up a new wealth of possibilities :p:
I think one of my favourite Pi related jokes is as follows:

Why did the maths student go to Hull, Coventry and Slough with baked goods?

Because his teacher told him to take pie to three dismal places.

*drumrollcymbal.wav*

*groan*
qgujxj39
Report 10 years ago
*drumrollcymbal.wav*
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well... if we're Greek, yes. Last time I checked, I wasn't. :p:
Zhen Lin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Modern Greeks pronounce Euclid like "Efclid". The miracles of sound change!
Steffiewoo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
added a link to a paper chain with loads of decimal places of pi in it
and had pi written on my hand, forehead, neck
all in all was a fun pi day
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?