Turn on thread page Beta

Have I still got a chance?.. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The GCSE's were extenuating circumstances and you can have that mentioned in your reference / PS / or in a letter direct to admissions, don't give up untill you have spoken to the admissions depts at a few unis and they have given you some info, like drubert said, if necessary complete your Alevels have a gap year and apply with your grades in hand, just make sure you use your gap year wisely.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdhey89)
    I hate to say it, but you really don't stand a chance for medicine. At Birmingham (which isn't even in the top 20 in the subject according to the Times) you need at least 7 A*s at GCSE (my friend wanted to apply last year but that's what they told her), and I know at the university I'm at (Southampton) they have similar requirements. If were to look at Biomedical Science though you may have a shot at that.
    :rolleyes:

lol my brother got 4 A*s and he's graduating for medicine at Cambridge and has just be accepted to continue his postgraduate course there. So 7A*s seems a bit much, if it's true that uni just places too much emphasis on GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xximstrongerthanthatxx)
    you don't even know him!!!!!!! I'd seriously question YOUR intelligence right now.
    I don't see why, with good grades at a-level that the OP can go onto medicine as his gcse's had meitgating circumstances, considering his english was not good he still managed passes at GCSE!!!
    Are you mad aswel? What has me not knowing him personaly got to do with it... You are really really dumb if you think those 'passes' are good enough, espeacily so few. Read other peoples coments, i asure you the vast majority of people will agree that he has little chance.

ReputationRep:
    Low passes for someone fluent in english yes maybe there would be little chance but the fact that they did pass not knowing the language well deserves a pat on the back if you ask me!

ReputationRep:
    HardWork relax mate ;P Thank you guys for these coments I really feel better now There's no way I'm gonna give up and now I believe that I might actually do it even though some of you said it's impossible ;P I really love this country and the people around me and wish to stay at an english uni.. I'm not a genius but I'm not stupid either and know how to work hard (occasionally :P <joke>). I have already set myself a work experience at my dad's practice (as he's a dentist) and will continue to do so throughout my sixthform, so together with good grades, experience, reference;P and HUGE luck i might get in =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam_ire)
    HardWork relax mate ;P Thank you guys for these coments I really feel better now There's no way I'm gonna give up and now I believe that I might actually do it even though some of you said it's impossible ;P I really love this country and the people around me and wish to stay at an english uni.. I'm not a genius but I'm not stupid either and know how to work hard (occasionally :P <joke>). I have already set myself a work experience at my dad's practice (as he's a dentist) and will continue to do so throughout my sixthform, so together with good grades, experience, reference;P and HUGE luck i might get in =)
    Cool, hope you manage to stay that motivated In addition to three A's, an AEA could really help your case. I would suggest one in either Bio or Chem, Bio would show motivation, but Chem would be more practical. Goodluck

ReputationRep:
    you don't even know him!!!!!!! I'd seriously question YOUR intelligence right now.
    I don't see why, with good grades at a-level that the OP can go onto medicine as his gcse's had meitgating circumstances, considering his english was not good he still managed passes at GCSE!!!
    Thank you

(Original post by HardWork)
    Comon sense you idiot, surprised you managed to get onto a course with such low intelligence.
    And I'm expected to take this from someone who can't spell common?! But back to the point, how is it that you feel that you're more qualified to answer the question based on "common sense" alone, whereas I on the other hand, having applied successfully myself and hence having first hand experience of what it takes to get into medical school cannot provide a better answer than you. Do you think I applied knowing nothing about the requirements, or do think that I may have actually done my research first? I'm intrigued :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Cool, hope you manage to stay that motivated In addition to three A's, an AEA could really help your case. I would suggest one in either Bio or Chem, Bio would show motivation, but Chem would be more practical. Goodluck
    have you done a medicine degree?
    I've had friends who have done biology, chemistry and art who've had 3 offers..no AEA'S and AAB at a-level. so i'd shut up, get your facts right and just piss off if you have nothing better to say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex L)
    And I'm expected to take this from someone who can't spell common?! But back to the point, how is it that you feel that you're more qualified to answer the question based on "common sense" alone, whereas I on the other hand, having applied successfully myself and hence having first hand experience of what it takes to get into medical school cannot provide a better answer than you. Do you think I applied knowing nothing about the requirements, or do think that I may have actually done my research first? I'm intrigued :rolleyes:
    Oh stfu its called a typo, it is common sense yes, plus i think i am more qualified than you because both my parents work in the NHS and my uncle is a uni lecturer and admissions tutor. You obviously havnt done much research if you think competition isnt high, jesus hope i dont have the misfortune of ever being your patient

ReputationRep:
    have you done a medicine degree?
    I've had friends who have done biology, chemistry and art who've had 3 offers..no AEA'S and AAB at a-level. so i'd shut up, get your facts right and just piss off if you have nothing better to say
    See above... this is a cheap shot but sorry i gota say it.... Psychology...RE? lol bless.

ReputationRep:
    Oh stfu its called a typo, it is common sense yes, plus i think i am more qualified than you because both my parents work in the NHS and my uncle is a uni lecturer and admissions tutor. You obviously havnt done much research if you think competition isnt high, jesus hope i dont have the misfortune of ever being your patient
    i think someone has the case of the ********edness...the stupidity strain

ReputationRep:
    I'd disagree with the 7A* requirement, I'm sure Birmingham is 5A* but I may be wrong there. Certainly not every place requires 7A* OR four a levels. I'd doubt doing four a levels would give you any real advantage.

Medical schools are careful not to over-emphasise GCSEs but they're still important. Make sure your teacher writes a heart-wrenching 'mitigating circumstances' note, get three high A's and focus on other aspects of your application - work exp, extra cirriculars, UKCAT/BMAT prep if possible (looking at their format and style).

How come your only doing three AS? It's usually four, or maybe your college doesn't offer it/won't let you because of your GCSEs?

I'd go for it, even if you don't get in with AAA you should get offers for biomed/biochemistry so you stand a chance from there. You could always take a year out to beef up your application and show you actually have the grades..

..definitely not hopeless

ReputationRep:
    I believe if you read through all of my previous posts you won't find any mention of competition not being high, I merely disagreed with your point that three A levels weren't enough, I think you'll find that all university offers are based around three, not four/five. And surely the fact that competition is high means that I was obviously a better applicant than many others (60% get no offers at all) and hence am not an idiot at all. And how does the fact that your parents work in the NHS mean that you aren't talking crap, how long ago was it that they applied to medical school (that's assuming that they are doctors and not any other part of the multi-disciplinary team). If you don't believe me on my initial point, I suggest you phone up your admissions tutor uncle and see if he can set you right, as I'm clearly failing in that respect

ReputationRep:
    See above... this is a cheap shot but sorry i gota say it.... Psychology...RE? lol bless.

I've recieved a's in both those subjects, and are going on to do a degree in clinical physiology with cardiology..so..i'd shut up if i were you, i could end my career on par with a medical consultant and it's a 4 year degree.

as for parents in the nhs..well done, so..erm, how does that qualify you to be proffessor of medical admissions..and an 'uncle' as a uni lectuere, lol my second cousin is robert winston..so therefore i know more about medical admissions

tosspot

ReputationRep:
    I've recieved a's in both those subjects, and are going on to do a degree in clinical physiology with cardiology..so..i'd shut up if i were you, i could end my career on par with a medical consultant and it's a 4 year degree.

as for parents in the nhs..well done, so..erm, how does that qualify you to be proffessor of medical admissions..and an 'uncle' as a uni lectuere, lol my second cousin is robert winston..so therefore i know more about medical admissions

tosspot
    Notice that we both made the same points here, reckon that's saying something :rolleyes: Btw repped you aswell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex L)
    Notice that we both made the same points here, reckon that's saying something :rolleyes: Btw repped you aswell

yeah..i think its quite immature he's throwing my a-levels back at me, as if they're inferior lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninety_nine)
    I'd disagree with the 7A* requirement, I'm sure Birmingham is 5A* but I may be wrong there. Certainly not every place requires 7A* OR four a levels. I'd doubt doing four a levels would give you any real advantage.

Medical schools are careful not to over-emphasise GCSEs but they're still important. Make sure your teacher writes a heart-wrenching 'mitigating circumstances' note, get three high A's and focus on other aspects of your application - work exp, extra cirriculars, UKCAT/BMAT prep if possible (looking at their format and style).

How come your only doing three AS? It's usually four, or maybe your college doesn't offer it/won't let you because of your GCSEs?

I'd go for it, even if you don't get in with AAA you should get offers for biomed/biochemistry so you stand a chance from there. You could always take a year out to beef up your application and show you actually have the grades..

..definitely not hopeless
    Thanks I love u for saying that dude.. Im actually doing four AS's this year- bio, chem, phys, and USE OF MATHS. Use of maths is equivalent to AS maths and is stretched over two years, but to be honest i hate it and i regret that i havent chose the normal math.. I usually get what i want and medicine is the only thing I want to do so:cool:

ReputationRep:
    yeah..i think its quite immature he's throwing my a-levels back at me, as if they're inferior lol
    Do we even know what he's doing? Or what stage of education he's at? Because quite frankly I cba to read through all his above posts again, I feel my head might explode reading all that crap again

ReputationRep:

tosspot
    Congratz on the A's! My 5 year old brother got A's in them aswel! He was so chuffed, you could meet up sometime and talk through the course content in a few mins! Anyway i cant be ****ed to sit here and play this game with some silly kid who thinks they know it all, ah well atleast i had a laugh at the thought of a RE and Psy student on par with a consultant. Im off to bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam_ire)
    Thanks I love u for saying that dude.. Im actually doing four AS's this year- bio, chem, phys, and USE OF MATHS. Use of maths is equivalent to AS maths and is stretched over two years, but to be honest i hate it and i regret that i havent chose the normal math.. I usually get what i want and medicine is the only thing I want to do so:cool:
    i'm doing use of maths..don't bother mentioning it thougt cause i only did it to improve numerical skills. BTW, try and get work experience thats not handed too you, eg from your dad, in interviews they'll look down on this, question motivation etc Try getting non dental experience too, just write to LOADS of hospitals, care homes etc, if you choose to take a gap year use that year wisely, save up for uni and get experience.

Remember, don't do medicine cause it sounds good, do it because you want to make a difference...really question why you want to do it, if you find a good reason that'l be your motivation to get those grades

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.