Which is more important? Full Brexit, peace in Ireland, or avoiding food shortages? Watch

Poll: Which is more important? Full Brexit, peace in Ireland, or avoiding food shortages?
FULL BREXIT is most important - and I will probably vote Conservative or UKIP (10)
40%
FULL BREXIT is most important - and I will probably NOT vote Conservative or UKIP (4)
16%
PEACE IN IRELAND is most important - and I will probably vote Conservative or UKIP (0)
0%
PEACE IN IRELAND is most important - and I will probably NOT vote Conservative or UKIP (3)
12%
Continued FOOD SUPPLIES to the entire population is most important - and I will probably vote Conservative or UKIP (1)
4%
Continued FOOD SUPPLIES to the entire population is most important - and I will probably NOT vote Conservative or UKIP (7)
28%
Maria ZT
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
If you are in favour of a full-scale Brexit (defined below), please vote on which of the following three issues is most important to you:

* peace in Ireland, as opposed to a return to the violent Troubles

* a full-scale Brexit, defined as exit from the single market, the customs union, and freedom of movement

* continued food supplies to the entire British population, defined as the absence of food shortages affecting at least 100,000 people
username3957186
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How can you exit from the single currency if you never entered in the first place?
Alexty28
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you want a full Brexit doesn't necessarily mean that you will vote Conservative or UKIP, especially as Corbyn wants out of the EU anyway, he just doesn't discuss it.
username3957186
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Irony is, in some areas the margins were very tight, down to a couple of voters. A couple more Labour voting immigrants might've swung the election.
username3883544
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do not want Brexit at all, so a so-called soft Brexit where we remain in the customs union, would be better for the country's economy. I think most people would be content as long as migration decisions return to the UK.
Joleee
Report 1 year ago
what is a 'full brexit'? i'm pretty sure brexit means brexit.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Maria ZT)
Please vote on which of the following three issues is most important to you:

* peace in Ireland, as opposed to a return to the violent Troubles

* a full-scale Brexit, defined as exit from the single currency, the customs union, and freedom of movement

* continued food supplies to the entire British population, defined as the absence of food shortages affecting at least 100,000 people
Not exactly equivalent are they... The Troubles vs Brexit vs Mass Starvation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maria ZT
Rep:
?
(Original post by Satiricon)
How can you exit from the single currency if you never entered in the first place?
Good question, even if you asked it in an ill-mannered way. I meant to type "single market". I've edited to correct my error now.
Maria ZT
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alexty28)
If you want a full Brexit doesn't necessarily mean that you will vote Conservative or UKIP, especially as Corbyn wants out of the EU anyway, he just doesn't discuss it.
That is why I put options in the poll for those who won't vote Conservative or UKIP. It is, though, a poll for those who want a "full Brexit". (Personally I don't; I want Britain to remain in the EU.)
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Not exactly equivalent are they... The Troubles vs Brexit vs Mass Starvation.
Sure, but they can be ranked by preference. I suspect many Tory and UKIP voters want a full Brexit more than they want to avoid a return to the Troubles across the water or a little bit of starvation in the "wrong" parts of a few British towns, confined to areas they profess to know little about, and where if pushed they would guess that inhabitants probably shop at Lidl and blow their noses into their chips.
(Original post by Joleee)
See the question for the definition. See any current affairs publication for discussions on whether Brexit should come with or without staying in the single market, the currency union, or both. See anyone without guano for brains for why "Brexit means Brexit" is a tautological statement from which few thoughts of any utility can be derived.
Axiomasher
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I suppose we could just all do what Lord Lawson is doing and move to France.
Axiomasher
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Joleee)
I think that's the one all covered in red sauce.
Maria ZT
Rep:
?
(Original post by Axiomasher)
I suppose we could just all do what Lord Lawson is doing and move to France.
If Brexit happens, moving to France will be easy for British citizens born in Northern Ireland. All they will have to do is get Irish passports if they haven't already got them, which are EU passports entitling them to live wherever they like in the EU. But for British citizens born in Great Britain who have no claim to any other citizenship, things may well not be so easy, because they will lose their EU citizenship. A British person from Belfast and another from London may find they have to go through different immigration channels in Calais, including if they are only going to France for a short visit.
Lit teacher
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
More than 3000 people were murdered in the Northern Ireland conflict. (By comparison, the total number of UK terrorist victims in the last 17 years is 126). Thousands of fully armed British troops patrolled the streets, and more than 500 were killed. Bombs were planted in mainland Britain too.

But hey, blue passports eh?
Joleee
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Axiomasher)
I think that's the one all covered in red sauce.
i was thinking the same thing! lol
Brittany Sills
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hydropumping the refugees
Alexty28
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Maria ZT)
That is why I put options in the poll for those who won't vote Conservative or UKIP. It is, though, a poll for those who want a "full Brexit". (Personally I don't; I want Britain to remain in the EU.)
**** I misread the option, now I am embarrassed.
sambeaz6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wealth inequality and poverty are the biggest issues right now, and they’re always brushed aside. It’s unacceptable the conditions some people in the UK have to live in, especially in the North, and there is so little support for poor families who are renting looking to escape from poverty. It really is disgusting how so many people get away with tax fraud when they already have millions in the bank, yet the government has clamped down on disability benefits for, no less, people in employment looking for the help needed to keep working.
sambeaz6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sambeaz6)
Wealth inequality and poverty are the biggest issues right now, and they’re always brushed aside. It’s unacceptable the conditions some people in the UK have to live in, especially in the North, and there is so little support for poor families who are renting looking to escape from poverty. It really is disgusting how so many people get away with tax fraud when they already have millions in the bank, yet the government has clamped down on disability benefits for, no less, people in employment looking for the help needed to keep working.
So I guess food shortages is the closest one to what I think
Maria ZT
Rep:
?
So far, the votes are running as follows:

among those who will probably vote Con or UKIP:
Full Brexit (6) > Food Supply (1) > Peace in Ireland (0);

among others:
Food Supply (4) > Peace in Ireland (2), Full Brexit (2).

I think I wrote the question a bit wrong and that some of the "others" may be Remainers, whereas in fact the question was only supposed to be for Leavers. But never mind.

So far it's looking like this:

* Tories want a full Brexit even if British people starve and Irish people get shot;

* (Leaver) non-Tory non-UKIPpers think avoiding starvation is most important, and that Brexit is only about as important as avoiding a return to Troubles in Ireland.
hannah00
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
end to uncontrolled immigration.

Wages will never increase in this salary, when companies have a talent pool of 200 million+ to recruit from. Many of whom have better grades and education backgrounds than the average brit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.13%
No (216)
76.87%

Watched Threads