Alevel chemistry buffers Watch

sohaail23
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
In some buffer questions you have to look at which is in excess then find the excess moles and convert it into concentration and then sub the values into the ka formula,

The acid dissociation constant, Ka, for the weak acid HY has the value
1.35 × 10–5 mol dm–3 at 25 °C.
A buffer solution was prepared by dissolving 0.0236 mol of the salt NaY in
50.0 cm3
of a 0.428 mol dm–3 solution of the weak acid HY
(i) Calculate the pH of this buffer solution.

For this question they didnt look at which was in excess, could anyone explain why?
jAlAl12362
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I thought you would need excess weak acid, but if you work out the moles of the acid used you get 0.0214 which is < 0.0236 of the salt.
How is that even possible to make a buffer?
Trapmoneybenny
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by sohaail23)
In some buffer questions you have to look at which is in excess then find the excess moles and convert it into concentration and then sub the values into the ka formula,

The acid dissociation constant, Ka, for the weak acid HY has the value
1.35 × 10–5 mol dm–3 at 25 °C.
A buffer solution was prepared by dissolving 0.0236 mol of the salt NaY in
50.0 cm3
of a 0.428 mol dm–3 solution of the weak acid HY
(i) Calculate the pH of this buffer solution.

For this question they didnt look at which was in excess, could anyone explain why?
The questions in which they present a scenario in which one of the reagents of the buffer is in excess is different from the one which you just posted.

This is a buffer containing a weak acid and it's salt ONLY. It's an acidic buffer, which explains why the pH is 4.91 (2dp) In this scenario the component in excess is irrelevant because the buffer is formed AFTER addition of the soluble salt.

Now if there was a buffer solution containing the components above and something like NaOH was added you would then need to calculate which one was in excess to find out the new pH

hope that clarifies
sohaail23
Rep:
?
(Original post by jAlAl12362)
I thought you would need excess weak acid, but if you work out the moles of the acid used you get 0.0214 which is < 0.0236 of the salt.
How is that even possible to make a buffer?
when i tried i used excess NaY and found the moles in excess and used it in my KA but in the markscheme they never did this
sohaail23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oruese)
The questions in which they present a scenario in which one of the reagents of the buffer is in excess is different from the one which you just posted.

This is a buffer containing a weak acid and it's salt ONLY. It's an acidic buffer, which explains why the pH is 4.91 (2dp) In this scenario the component in excess is irrelevant because the buffer is formed AFTER addition of the soluble salt.

Now if there was a buffer solution containing the components above and something like NaOH was added you would then need to calculate which one was in excess to find out the new pH

hope that clarifies

So this question the buffer is there and these are the concentrations oin the buffer and i just need to find the ph
in others i need to find the the concentrations in the buffer?
jAlAl12362
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Ok, made a mistake.

You use this formula (Ka)*(acid)/ (salt)

You got the concentration of acid given which is 0.428.
All you need to do is work out the concentration of salt which is 0.0236/0.05 Remember c*v= moles just rearrange it.

Add that to your formula to work out H+ concentration which I got was 1.2242*10-5

Do -log(H+).
I got pH of 4.912
Is that right?
sohaail23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oruese)

hope that clarifies
For this question would i need to look at whats in excess? could you explain whether i do or not using your example from before please

Calculate the pH of the buffer solution formed when 10.00 cm3 of 0.100 mol dm–3 potassium hydroxide are added to 25.00 cm3 of 0.410 mol dm–3 ethanoic acid.
sohaail23
Rep:
?
Ok, made a mistake.

All you need to do is work out the concentration of salt which is 0.0236/0.05 Remember c*v= moles just rearrange it.

Add that to your formula to work out H+ concentration which I got was 1.2242*10-5

Do -log(H+).
I got pH of 4.912
Is that right?
Answer was 3.79
sohaail23
Rep:
?
For this question would i need to look at whats in excess? could you explain whether i do or not using your example from before please

Calculate the pH of the buffer solution formed when 10.00 cm3 of 0.100 mol dm–3 potassium hydroxide are added to 25.00 cm3 of 0.410 mol dm–3 ethanoic acid.
Ok, made a mistake.

Do -log(H+).
I got pH of 4.912
Is that right?
http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...n%203%20MS.pdf

Q1 D
Trapmoneybenny
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago

i need the Ka for ethanoic acid though, what's the value they gave ya?
jAlAl12362
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Markscheme says im right, which question is this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (30)
13.1%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
9.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
21.83%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (32)
13.97%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (27)
11.79%
How can I be the best version of myself? (69)
30.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise