The Student Room Group

whats driving like?

im gonna learn how to drive soon so my dad is gonna teach me how to get the car going and all that stuff. i just wanted to know how your experiences were when you first started driving, is it hard? how long did it take for you to balance your steering? how much did you stall the car? are the theory and practical tests difficult?

this is mostly aimed at manual drivers.

thanks
Original post by ash231421
im gonna learn how to drive soon so my dad is gonna teach me how to get the car going and all that stuff. i just wanted to know how your experiences were when you first started driving, is it hard? how long did it take for you to balance your steering? how much did you stall the car? are the theory and practical tests difficult?

this is mostly aimed at manual drivers.

thanks

It was a very strange experience for me when I first pulled off. However, I eventually got used to it and it became second nature really. The first encounter with roundabouts was a scary one for me but again, I grew to love roundabouts because they're just so much better than *****y intersections :tongue:

Funnily enough, I never stalled the car until my last few lessons before my test. I put this down to nerves :tongue:

The theory test is very, very easy. Just download an app and hammer through the questions. Practical test is fine as long as you listen to your instructor and prepare diligently.
Reply 2
Original post by Blue_Cow
It was a very strange experience for me when I first pulled off. However, I eventually got used to it and it became second nature really. The first encounter with roundabouts was a scary one for me but again, I grew to love roundabouts because they're just so much better than *****y intersections :tongue:

Funnily enough, I never stalled the car until my last few lessons before my test. I put this down to nerves :tongue:

The theory test is very, very easy. Just download an app and hammer through the questions. Practical test is fine as long as you listen to your instructor and prepare diligently.

oh i feel so much better aha, is shifting gears difficult? like you gotta concentrate on the road but the same time hold down the clutch and change gear as you're moving. im so bad at multi tasking hahaha
at first you're really aware of everything you do and it doesn't flow - the gear changes, using indicators, but after practice it all becomes 2nd nature
oh i feel so much better aha, is shifting gears difficult? like you gotta concentrate on the road but the same time hold down the clutch and change gear as you're moving. im so bad at multi tasking hahaha

everytime I shifted gears when I was a newbie I always drifted to the left-hand side for some reason. You get used to it.

Driving is quite relaxing once you learn to... relax. It's just when you get mongoloids around you is when you get annoyed.
(edited 5 years ago)
The very first lesson should all be about clutch control and finding the bite to move off (assuming you’re learning in a manual). The gear changes going to 2nd (or 3rd if on a quiet road) should come into it too.

I went on a roundabout on my first lesson and absolutely panicked, didn’t have a clue what to do at all whilst my instructor was giving instructions like ‘now brake, now shift to 2nd, keep braking, observe to the right, nothing there? Keep going. Stay in your lane.’

I was like “Mate, slow down man!”

It all becomes 2nd nature to you the more you practice, don’t give up after a few bad lessons...it’s inevitable you’ll have them now and again.
Reply 6
Original post by accountant-future
The very first lesson should all be about clutch control and finding the bite to move off (assuming you’re learning in a manual). The gear changes going to 2nd (or 3rd if on a quiet road) should come into it too.

I went on a roundabout on my first lesson and absolutely panicked, didn’t have a clue what to do at all whilst my instructor was giving instructions like ‘now brake, now shift to 2nd, keep braking, observe to the right, nothing there? Keep going. Stay in your lane.’

I was like “Mate, slow down man!”

It all becomes 2nd nature to you the more you practice, don’t give up after a few bad lessons...it’s inevitable you’ll have them now and again.

thank youu
First time driving is a bit rough.
It'll take a few lessons before you start to get smoother and the car stops juddering.
Steering wasn't an issue but balancing the clutch in the gear changes was the main problem.

Once youre used to it it becomes second nature
Reply 8
im just kinda scared about when there are cars parked on the road and you dont know if you should go or not because you dont know if the cars gonna fit while other cars are coming down the other side.
Original post by BTAnonymous
It's just when you get mongoloids around you is when you get annoyed.

Which, when you live in a busy city, is every ****ing day.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY

I live in the countryside and still meet dipshits on the daily
Original post by It's****ingWOODY

well I live near Liverpool, however it's common for my neighborhood to wake up every now and then to find their tyes are missing in the morning so at least we can keep some of them off the roads lol.
Reply 12
Of course you're not competent initially and it's stressful, but with practice it does come and you can use the controls without really thinking. Once you've learnt it's liberating, but there are a lot of idiots on the road (don't be one of them) and it can be a dangerous business.

Nah. It literally becomes 100% natural and you do it without having to think just by the speed/sound of the engine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest