I want to be religious but I can’t believe in it Watch

sambeaz6
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
A part of me wants so badly to believe in a religion and just to have that positive outlook on life, that structure, that set of rules to follow, but I can’t make myself believe in the existence of a God in my head. What should I do?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Ray_Shadows
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
depending on the religion go visit the spiritual place e.g church,temple etc

and speak with someone there
TJ7Notts
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi there. Why is it you want so badly to believe in something you evidently don't? Do you think maybe religion could help answer some of your problems?
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Well your probably not religious then :P

I'm a self defined Christian I suppose, I like the general jist of not being sh1tty to each other and it has some good branding, it really just seems to go pear shaped when other people get involved.
Professional G
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You can't force yourself to believe. It must come to you naturally.
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by sambeaz6)
A part of me wants so badly to believe in a religion and just to have that positive outlook on life, that structure, that set of rules to follow, but I can’t make myself believe in the existence of a God in my head. What should I do?
Research from the perspective of both sides and then come to a decision yourself
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Might I suggest that those things can come from outside of a religion and that it's not necessary to believe in a God in order to have that?
sambeaz6
Rep:
?
(Original post by TJ7Notts)
Hi there. Why is it you want so badly to believe in something you evidently don't? Do you think maybe religion could help answer some of your problems?
Well I like the whole community aspect and that kind of purpose being religious gives to life. It kinda feels pointless to ‘live your life well’ when in the end it’s the same thing that happens to us all.
TJ7Notts
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
To me, it sounds like you're looking to the idea of religion as a solution to some stuff going off - perhaps how you're feeling or something else. There's no harm in trying to believe, but why live your life around something which you think is false? Even if you agree with the values of the religion. My mum, for example, is a christian but doesn't believe some of the events in the bible are true. She thinks it's a load of rubbish that someone could walk on water and make food out of thin air - but she still believes in God.

Maybe you need to do the same - find a compromise between the religious books and what you believe to be feasible, in order to follow a religion while also being true to yourself.
sambeaz6
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Might I suggest that those things can come from outside of a religion and that it's not necessary to believe in a God in order to have that?
I know, but it’s difficult to justify being kind or moderate or charitable or patient when nothing seems to come of however I choose to behave. I’d like to believe in my mind that, by living well, it will all come back to me in the end in some way. Religion feels like a nice template for the way I want to live but it’s the god part that I’m struggling with
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I know, but it’s difficult to justify being kind or moderate or charitable or patient when nothing seems to come of however I choose to behave. I’d like to believe in my mind that, by living well, it will all come back to me in the end in some way. Religion feels like a nice template for the way I want to live but it’s the god part that I’m struggling with
I see. Have you looked into Buddhism (which I'd class as a philosophy rather than a religion)? No god(s) in that afaik
jkfdnas
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
it's possible to have morals without religion you know
RedHawk123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Just follow the template and leave out the God part?
birthdefect
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yo dude I don’t want it to sound like I’m forcing my religion on you but I was on the same boat until I discovered Wicca. If you’re into preserving nature and karma and stuff like that, go check it out. It’s very personal for each follower so for example, I don’t choose to believe in the gods and goddesses AS gods and goddesses; I just believe that they’re personifications of nature itself, and choose to worship that instead.
Good luck and blessed be
)O(
sambeaz6
Rep:
?
(Original post by birthdefect)
Yo dude I don’t want it to sound like I’m forcing my religion on you but I was on the same boat until I discovered Wicca. If you’re into preserving nature and karma and stuff like that, go check it out. It’s very personal for each follower so for example, I don’t choose to believe in the gods and goddesses AS gods and goddesses; I just believe that they’re personifications of nature itself, and choose to worship that instead.
Good luck and blessed be
)O(
Hahaha what??? People who believe in Wicca actually exist?! I’d absolutely love to believe in witches and fairies but I’m not sure it’s quite for me. I’ll look into it though
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I know what you mean, because I've felt the same. Sometimes you just want something to believe in, it's comforting when times get hard. But you won't get the comfort you seek if you don't truly believe.

When I wanted to be religious, I researched different religions to see which was the best fit for me, and I gave up with it because I just thought how stupid is it that there are so many different takes on religion, different theories that people believe 100%, yet not everyone can be right - so the majority of religious people are believing in an incorrect or inaccurate version of reality.. if there is anything real in it at all.
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Frm the beginning, God wanted relationship direct with man, not religion and intermediaries/

God is love, that's why he looks for relationship to properly express and communicate with man.

That's why the gospel says you need to e born again, to receive God's Spirit, to allow him to introduce himself to you.

We all have, I hope you visit and see what a difference it makes!
JaydorIV
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
read the Bible (the word of God) often, it'll help you believe in him.

also just gonna drop this here😄

https://youtu.be/nA7aKv13RaM
Megan_1988j
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Just start going to church. Try it out. I didn’t believe in god. I was going to church with people I support in work and I loved attending. I started going myself. And slowly, the more I listened, the more I participated, the more it made sense to me. If you want to do it, then go. There’s no harm in going.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
You can have a positive outlook on life without religion. You can follow a set of practical rules from any religion you like (apart from the actual religious aspects, clearly). You can be a good, moral person without having a reason why.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (46)
9.22%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.81%
No, but I want to start (177)
35.47%
No, I am unable to (117)
23.45%
No, I chose not to (145)
29.06%