bodysoaps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
so i’m just going to be straight out honest. I’m in year 11 and i know for a fact that if i stay in my parents house until uni or when i’m married, at least one person will be dead. Let me explain my situation. i’m gay and do not follow my parents beliefs. due to my faith, this is not an excuse, if they find out i could actually die. i turn 18 in november 2019 and i will be in my second year of college.

I live in enfield. I want to move out to the outskirts, like broxbourne. There are many studio and one bedroom apartments/flats from £500-1000. I cannot work until college, and even then it will be a saturday job in retail like hnm or select. I have no clue about ANYTHING to do with legal stuff, my mum controls everything. i know that i have national insurance number but my mum has it but won’t let me near it, probably until college.

I just want to know everything to do with renting and benefits and housing costs pls. pls help!!!!
Humat852
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by bodysoaps)
so i’m just going to be straight out honest. I’m in year 11 and i know for a fact that if i stay in my parents house until uni or when i’m married, at least one person will be dead. Let me explain my situation. i’m gay and do not follow my parents beliefs. due to my faith, this is not an excuse, if they find out i could actually die. i turn 18 in november 2019 and i will be in my second year of college.

I live in enfield. I want to move out to the outskirts, like broxbourne. There are many studio and one bedroom apartments/flats from £500-1000. I cannot work until college, and even then it will be a saturday job in retail like hnm or select. I have no clue about ANYTHING to do with legal stuff, my mum controls everything. i know that i have national insurance number but my mum has it but won’t let me near it, probably until college.

I just want to know everything to do with renting and benefits and housing costs pls. pls help!!!!
Heyyy I'm GUESSING you are muslim? If being gay is forbidden, right first off they are your parents they surely have done more than you can imagine for you, secondly turn to god honestly ask for guidance and be patient. Thats the most correct things you can do rn, as you are still a teenagr, just focus on your studies and gcse's rn. And maybe ask a cousin for advice, or like someone who you trust? As you are fairly young, you need time and think things through properly. ALL i can say to sum up, is DO NOT go against your parents wallah. IT IS A BAD , VERY BAD THING to do, you will NOT like it if your parents never talked to you again.
bodysoaps
Rep:
?
(Original post by Humat852)
Heyyy I'm GUESSING you are muslim? If being gay is forbidden, right first off they are your parents they surely have done more than you can imagine for you, secondly turn to god honestly ask for guidance and be patient. Thats the most correct things you can do rn, as you are still a teenagr, just focus on your studies and gcse's rn. And maybe ask a cousin for advice, or like someone who you trust? As you are fairly young, you need time and think things through properly. ALL i can say to sum up, is DO NOT go against your parents wallah. IT IS A BAD , VERY BAD THING to do, you will NOT like it if your parents never talked to you again.
thank you for the reassurance to focus on gcses but you did not help me at all. i didn’t need advice on having a relation with my parents, i asked my info and advice on moving out and housing costs, etc. do not post on this thread unless you are going to be helpful, thank you.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by bodysoaps)

is there someone you trust at your school you can speak to? benefits and renting under 18 is difficult, housing benefit is less until you're 25 in most cases. you can get your ni number from hmrc i believe. if you feel at danger because of your parents you need to get help to keep yourself safe.
bodysoaps
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
is there someone you trust at your school you can speak to? benefits and renting under 18 is difficult, housing benefit is less until you're 25 in most cases. you can get your ni number from hmrc i believe. if you feel at danger because of your parents you need to get help to keep yourself safe.
i am not thinking about moving out under 18, but rather at 18. i could try speaking to my art teacher, she treats me like i’m her own child tbh. thank you for the advice.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Honestly youd be better waiting for uni. It's one year. Just keep your sexuality quiet for one more year. You shouldn't have to but you just can't support yourself. There are no benefits for someone your age unless you're homeless/emancipated and that will be very hard to sort out and very disruptive to your studies. If there are flats for 500 you will need 1000 a month just to survive. You will also need 1000-2500 In start up costs saves. It won't happen.
bodysoaps
Rep:
?
(Original post by doodle_333)
Honestly youd be better waiting for uni. It's one year. Just keep your sexuality quiet for one more year. You shouldn't have to but you just can't support yourself. There are no benefits for someone your age unless you're homeless/emancipated and that will be very hard to sort out and very disruptive to your studies. If there are flats for 500 you will need 1000 a month just to survive. You will also need 1000-2500 In start up costs saves. It won't happen.
thank you, I will talk to a trusted adult about it. I honestly do want to go asap, but you’re advice is very wise. Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.53%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (545)
48.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise