Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 31
Size:  65.4 KB

i) Loss GPE = 0.59

iii) Calculate the kinetic energy of the glider at this velocity of 1.8 m s^–1. kinetic energy = 0.41 J

(iv) Explain why the answer to (b)(iii) is not the same as (b)(i)

I dont understand this answer to this question. I talked about friction, however the answer to this question is that "they have not taken into account the kinetic energy of the 0.1kg mass"??
Graphittte
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Kinetic energy gained = GPE lost

You've worked out the kinetic energy of the glider, but the GPE of the mass is converted into kinetic energy of the mass AND glider as it falls.
The GPE lost is equal to the kinetic energy gained by the mass and glider system, so clearly from this you can see that to actually work this out, the mass would be (mass of glider + 0.1kg) hence the kinetic energy gained would be greater than the kinetic energy of the glider, which is why the reading you got was lower.

Sometimes it can be helpful to take it off the pulley. The mass of the 'stuff' that's moving is both the mass of the 0.1kg mass and the mass of the glider rather than just the glider.

Also i would have expected them to say that the pulley was frictionless but as it says that the track is frictionless, use this to draw the conclusion that friction won't be an accepted answer.
Fross877
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Graphittte)
Kinetic energy gained = GPE lost

You've worked out the kinetic energy of the glider, but the GPE of the mass is converted into kinetic energy of the mass AND glider as it falls.
The GPE lost is equal to the kinetic energy gained by the mass and glider system, so clearly from this you can see that to actually work this out, the mass would be (mass of glider + 0.1kg) hence the kinetic energy gained would be greater than the kinetic energy of the glider, which is why the reading you got was lower.

Sometimes it can be helpful to take it off the pulley. The mass of the 'stuff' that's moving is both the mass of the 0.1kg mass and the mass of the glider rather than just the glider.

Also i would have expected them to say that the pulley was frictionless but as it says that the track is frictionless, use this to draw the conclusion that friction won't be an accepted answer.
Thank you a lot mate, I understand it now!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?