Different market structures and their efficiencies- Economics Edexcel

Watch
mathsnerd49
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I know that for good comparisons for market structures you should use their different efficiencies but I don't really understand how you apply them to each market type- how do you know if a monopoly produces at a productively efficient point versus an allocatively efficient point etc?
BOBMABENA
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The allocatively efficient point is where AR=MC, so to judge if a Firm has achieved allocative efficiency you must see if it produces at this point. The Productively efficient point is where MC=AC. A profit maximising monopoly is neither of these, however monopolies have a lot of abnormal profit which they may use for research and development, making them more dynamically efficient. The only market structure that is both allocatively and productively efficient is perfect competition in the long run.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (586)
34.21%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (706)
41.21%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (343)
20.02%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (78)
4.55%

Watched Threads