Austin Clyde
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello everyone,
So I just did my A-levels (physics and maths only). Since i need 3 of them and i also plan on doing a gap year i wanna study a -level chemistry. Do you guys think i have any chance of studying a-level chemistry from absolute 0 (not even igcse level) in 3 months? I wanna take the exams in the winter session. Thanks !
Xjabnrlv_saadx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Absolutely no chance in 3 months. Honestly, I do a level chem and got 4 A*s in the modules in GCSE, came out with an A* overall which was my best science. I know take bio and psych and I’m miles ahead in both compared to chem. According to AQA (excuse me if I’m wrong) but chemistry is the hardest a level that you can do, harder than maths and physics (I think these were the next 2). Everyone I know who does maths and physics agrees that chem is impossible compared. You’ll maybe manage it in a year but there is a hella lot of content. Aim for summer exams otherwise you’ll just be wasting your money and putting a huge amount of stress on your shoulders. It’s not worth it.
Xjabnrlv_saadx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Also, having the GCSE is not necessary, I haven’t personally seen a lot of important crossovers. Maths and physics will definitely be of more use.
username3295148
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A level chemistry is a two year course which includes all of this:
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resource...05-SP-2015.PDF
That's quite a lot to learn so I believe that it cannot be done in just 1 year
username2975726
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
3 months for the whole thing is probably not possible, but AS is not that bad and I guess if you did about 8 hours a day....but still 3 months is a stretch to be honest
BTAnonymous
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Xjabnrlv_saadx)
Absolutely no chance in 3 months. Honestly, I do a level chem and got 4 A*s in the modules in GCSE, came out with an A* overall which was my best science. I know take bio and psych and I’m miles ahead in both compared to chem. According to AQA (excuse me if I’m wrong) but chemistry is the hardest a level that you can do, harder than maths and physics (I think these were the next 2). Everyone I know who does maths and physics agrees that chem is impossible compared. You’ll maybe manage it in a year but there is a hella lot of content. Aim for summer exams otherwise you’ll just be wasting your money and putting a huge amount of stress on your shoulders. It’s not worth it.
I'd put physics as harder than chemistry. History is even harder apparently.

But no. you cannot study alevel chemistry in 3 months with no teacher. No chance. It takes time for the concepts to sink in for most people and even the most intelligent people would struggle probably.
Obnxs
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey, I was just wondering where you’re able to study A level Chemistry in the winter? Do you have any links for information as I’ve never heard of this before and was wondering if it’d be possible for me to sit this winter (in 3 months like you say). As I am retaking a level chemistry but won’t be ready for a summer.

Thanks and in regards to your situation, I would first break it down into organic and inorganic chemistry. I would recommend looking at organic chemistry first as it contains a lot of memorisation and reaction mechanisms, once you really learn and understand the core concepts then Inorganic (physical) chemistry should be relatively “easy” since it contains a lot of maths so If that’s your strongpoint then you’re good.
Kyrils
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
is it possible if I have a teacher ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.69%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.59%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.9%
I need help with my personal statement (58)
40.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.17%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.1%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.99%

Watched Threads