Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yg110uk)
    Hey guys, I found out if you listen to quite sad/gloomy songs, it helps you to concentrate. I justed finished listening to moonlight sonata mv.1 and I feel like revising!

And thanks guys for the help and comments.
    I think it's my schools' policy but I've sent an email asking them if one can ask for re-marks/re-takes and etc even if the school's policy doesn't allow him/her to, the email I got was "ask your school about it" - not so helpful eh? >__>
    Nevertheless, I have been begging my science teachers to let me re-sit all the way back from March but all they said was that they can't, unless I am two grades below my actual expectations (so B), urrggh, my school is annoying and I need the A*s in them the most!
    But I guess I should regard it as a challenge to see if I am really capable of it, if I am really a solid A* student.
    It's up to you if you want to retake! If the school won't let you take it externally!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KnightRider)
    It's up to you if you want to retake! If the school won't let you take it externally!
    Nope, my school won't let anyone re-take unless they did badly. U__U
    Hmm, *looks at list of persuasive techniques* I might try bribery next time..XD
    I just need to achieve middle-ish A*s (95%) to get my A*s overall so I guess I have a few % spare, a chance is a chance afterall right?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, my school won't let anyone re-take unless they did badly. U__U
    Hmm, *looks at list of persuasive techniques* I might try bribery next time..XD
    I just need to achieve middle-ish A*s (95%) to get my A*s overall so I guess I have a few % spare, a chance is a chance afterall right?
    Yeah definitely, in Biology if I do really well in unit 3 I can get an A* but not taking any risks so retaking unit 2 (got 88 in that and 94 in unit 1). And for Chemistry and Physics I'm taking all three modules in each, I haven't got anything less than an A in each but I'm desperate for those A*s like you!

ReputationRep:
    Although I talk myself often out of believing this - unless you really take your chances (as in don't revise or don't revise properly at all), anything is possible Have faith in yourself, get lots of sleep (which is I think why I'm freaking out - sleep deprivation) and most importantly, when you sit in your exam chair, tell yourself you can do it. And past papers are the key. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkee)
    Although I talk myself often out of believing this - unless you really take your chances (as in don't revise or don't revise properly at all), anything is possible Have faith in yourself, get lots of sleep (which is I think why I'm freaking out - sleep deprivation) and most importantly, when you sit in your exam chair, tell yourself you can do it. And past papers are the key. Good luck!
    Thanks I just want someone to reassure me that I can still do really well if I had done pretty much no revision and just over a month to go.. I'm not sure where to start and how to get organised.. Like people say to do more than one subject a day, but I literally spent the whole day doing history notes, and I didn't even finish the one topic I wanted to, and I've been going at it for 6 hours - but that's with the computer beside me so I kind of write a line and come onto the computer - I can't help it!

ReputationRep:
    I've been making notes ALL DAY without breaks and running myself into a right state in the process...but like with your method, in a few days I find as long as you keep it in your mind the fog lifts and things come into place a little better in your head. They fade, but with a bit more work, they're stuck. The idea is if you do something 21 times it should stick in your head...Basically, what I'm getting at is I'm in the same boat as you but I have slightly longer and my organisation is out. It's never too late to make a difference, and there's so many things you can do to help.

ReputationRep:
    The other day I had about 4 hours sleep. The following day I done a maths test and done terrible, could barely get the most basic questions. Today I had a quality 9 hour sleep, looked at the test again and it was incredibly easy.

Sleep matters a lot. Before each GCSE I'm going to hit the sack at 6PM.

ReputationRep:
    I'll mean to get lots of sleep before an exam but I'll probably end up staying awake until 3am doing cram revision...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for sharing the advice everyone!
    And yeah, definitely, sleep is extremely important, make it your first priority, I remember I revised like mad for my geography mock exam in yr 10 and got something like 78%, and then this year, I had a good quality sleep before the mock in january(even without any revision) and I got 90%. But I've forgottena ll the stuff so I must re-learn them again.XD

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I just want someone to reassure me that I can still do really well if I had done pretty much no revision and just over a month to go.. I'm not sure where to start and how to get organised.. Like people say to do more than one subject a day, but I literally spent the whole day doing history notes, and I didn't even finish the one topic I wanted to, and I've been going at it for 6 hours - but that's with the computer beside me so I kind of write a line and come onto the computer - I can't help it!
    Do your revision in a different room, trust me, you won't regret it!

ReputationRep:
    This might sound weird but I found it really helps (at least for me) if I first make myself sad by listening to sad music and when I see my revision stuff, I literally goes straight into revision and remembers pretty much most of the things I revised in their first 20 mins (and then I go into the "cant-be-bothered" mode...). And repeat the whole torture after a short break.
    Oh damn, I forgot to do art again.. *rushes off to do art project*

ReputationRep:
    This might sound weird but I found it really helps (at least for me) if I first make myself sad by listening to sad music and when I see my revision stuff, I literally goes straight into revision and remembers pretty much most of the things I revised in their first 20 mins (and then I go into the "cant-be-bothered" mode...). And repeat the whole torture after a short break.
    Oh damn, I forgot to do art again.. *rushes off to do art project*
    Doesn't that just make you associate revision with sadness :rolleyes:

Well that definitely wouldn't work for me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil_miss_rapunzel)
    I'll mean to get lots of sleep before an exam but I'll probably end up staying awake until 3am doing cram revision...
    Hmm.. even in the poor situation I'm in with the little revision I've done I wouldn't see the need in staying up so late till 3AM let alone 11PM! Surely if you work hard in the day that is more than enough - 3/4 hours?

Well I've made the decision from tomorrow it is proper revision, I'll probably make myself targets each day.. For tomorrow I want to finish everything about Great Depression, Manchurian + Abyssinian Crisis and failure of LoN etc.. As well as that I need to learn the Paper 3 second of Latin vocab, if I get that done I'm happy.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.. even in the poor situation I'm in with the little revision I've done I wouldn't see the need in staying up so late till 3AM let alone 11PM! Surely if you work hard in the day that is more than enough - 3/4 hours?

Well I've made the decision from tomorrow it is proper revision, I'll probably make myself targets each day.. For tomorrow I want to finish everything about Great Depression, Manchurian + Abyssinian Crisis and failure of LoN etc.. As well as that I need to learn the Paper 3 second of Latin vocab, if I get that done I'm happy.
    Haha I love history. Do you do OCR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solihp)
    Doesn't that just make you associate revision with sadness :rolleyes:

Well that definitely wouldn't work for me...
    Yeah some people have aberrant techniques. Personally, I just get pen and paper, and a book, read material and answer questions on aforementioned material. Every person unto themselves though

ReputationRep:
    Argh that OCR History is really hard!!! Interesting but hard! Still can't do the sources especially on paper 2! What topics are you doing? I am doing Germany and Crime and Punishment

ReputationRep:
    I know, but no matter how much revision I do I always feel as though there's something I don't know and I get all panicky coming up to an exam, so I sometimes spend the early hours going over things just to reassure myself. I know I shouldn't do it and I'd be better off getting more sleep...

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is OCR.. I've downloaded the specification and going through it, making notes on each topic, I also bought this text book meant for the specification and there are so many things in there that we've never talked about in class, I'm hoping it's just extra detail, but really worrys me! So far I've only got through Treaty of Versailles and the Aims of the Big Three, did most of the LoN today but want to finish that part off tomorrow at the latest (should have done it today). And that will leave Russia, and the British Depth Study.

How did you all do in your coursework by the way? I can't remember my mark but it was two off full marks

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is OCR.. I've downloaded the specification and going through it, making notes on each topic, I also bought this text book meant for the specification and there are so many things in there that we've never talked about in class, I'm hoping it's just extra detail, but really worrys me! So far I've only got through Treaty of Versailles and the Aims of the Big Three, did most of the LoN today but want to finish that part off tomorrow at the latest (should have done it today). And that will leave Russia, and the British Depth Study.

How did you all do in your coursework by the way? I can't remember my mark but it was two off full marks
    Is your textbook this one, it's very good. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revision-OCR.../dp/0719577403

Erm, the coursework was out of 75. I got 75

We're doing the German depth study, which is a drag. We did Stalinist Russia for our coursework.

ReputationRep:
    Its the end of my easter holidays now... Ive organised all my stuff, i haven't done one minuite of revision though. I will start probably next weekend.

But its okay though, i have already done my french and german last year so ive got 2 less subjects than i would have done

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.