Turn on thread page Beta

GCSEs getting closer! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vaanish)
    Its the end of my easter holidays now... Ive organised all my stuff, i haven't done one minuite of revision though. I will start probably next weekend.

But its okay though, i have already done my french and german last year so ive got 2 less subjects than i would have done
    *jealous*
    Mind, I did Music last year which is a weight off my shoulders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solihp)

We're doing the German depth study, which is a drag. We did Stalinist Russia for our coursework.
    We're doing German Depth Study and did Russia for coursework too, but I actually like studying Germany. I think it's really interesting, but admittedly there is a lot of material to cover.

I <3 History, but I'm dreading the source-based paper. I find it much harder than Paper 1 and the time constraints are also really difficult for me- 1 hour 30 mins isn't enough time for me to answer 6 essay questions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil_miss_rapunzel)
    We're doing German Depth Study and did Russia for coursework too, but I actually like studying Germany. I think it's really interesting, but admittedly there is a lot of material to cover.

I <3 History, but I'm dreading the source-based paper. I find it much harder than Paper 1 and the time constraints are also really difficult for me- 1 hour 30 mins isn't enough time for me to answer 6 essay questions!
    Aye, Germany is interesting, but seems to include much more material than all the other optional depth studies. At least for paper 2, there isn't that much information to learn. Just look over some past papers and mark schemes if you can find them to get the technique. That's probably what I should be doing at some point!

ReputationRep:
    Is your textbook this one, it's very good. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revision-OCR.../dp/0719577403

Erm, the coursework was out of 75. I got 75

We're doing the German depth study, which is a drag. We did Stalinist Russia for our coursework.
    No I got this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modern-World...7431776&sr=1-3 . Is the one you linked to more like a text book or revision guide? And do you find it covers this.

Incidentially the one school gave us is this http://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Modern-...7431842&sr=1-4 , it is by the same author as the one you have but I think this is the text book version, not sure

Anyway for one we were never taught about the treaties like Sevres or Trianon that came up in the textbook, not sure if they're necessary to know or it's just extra detail (like a lot in this textbook). I'm really confused as to what to learn as I thought my notes from school were pretty good, but this paricular textbook I have has got SO MUCH extra stuff in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KnightRider)
    No I got this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modern-World...7431776&sr=1-3 . Is the one you linked to more like a text book or revision guide? And do you find it covers this.

Incidentially the one school gave us is this http://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Modern-...7431842&sr=1-4 , it is by the same author as the one you have but I think this is the text book version, not sure

Anyway for one we were never taught about the treaties like Sevres or Trianon that came up in the textbook, not sure if they're necessary to know or it's just extra detail (like a lot in this textbook). I'm really confused as to what to learn as I thought my notes from school were pretty good, but this paricular textbook I have has got SO MUCH extra stuff in!
    Yep, mine is purely a revision guide. I would say you do need to know the other treaties, yeah. I was horrified to find a whole chapter in the spec today that we've never been taught :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Yep, mine is purely a revision guide. I would say you do need to know the other treaties, yeah. I was horrified to find a whole chapter in the spec today that we've never been taught :eek:
    So would you say it covers everything you need to know? I have the CGP revision guide and it is useless..

ReputationRep:
    It covers everything, following the specification down to a tee. I would definitely recommend getting it if you have a chance (my history teacher - with a double first in history from cambridge - often consults it during lessons!).

ReputationRep:
    It covers everything, following the specification down to a tee. I would definitely recommend getting it if you have a chance (my history teacher - with a double first in history from cambridge - often consults it during lessons!).
    Will order it tomorrow.. Don't understand why they do a revision book and fuller text book by the same people if the revision one covers it all..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KnightRider)
    Will order it tomorrow.. Don't understand why they do a revision book and fuller text book by the same people if the revision one covers it all..
    So they can sell twice as many :p:
    No, seriously, it's much more 'revision orientated'. It has mnemonics to help you remember stuff, a section on 'how to revise', 'revision exercises' and worked examples at the end of each chapter. It only gives you the information you need, so you don't waste your time revising unecessary detail. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    So they can sell twice as many :p:
    No, seriously, it's much more 'revision orientated'. It has mnemonics to help you remember stuff, a section on 'how to revise', 'revision exercises' and worked examples at the end of each chapter. It only gives you the information you need, so you don't waste your time revising unecessary detail. Good luck!
    Great, just what i need.. wasted a lot of money on books I don't need recently!

How do you revise for History then? Make notes on everything? That's what I was doing today, but I think it's the only subject I'll actually make notes on apart from Latin, Sciences as hard as I do find them, I think my notes are useless as I just end up going back to revise from the revision guide, which is what I'll probably end up doing in history too lol (if I was to find a revision guide that actually covered it all!).

ReputationRep:
    ah I miss History so much now (even though I use to hate it the most).
    I am so going to download the History Specification after my gCSEs to see what kind of history to check out.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I pretty much write notes. History is a LOT though, I warn you. History and Latin are definitely my hardest GCSEs with the most work.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I pretty much write notes. History is a LOT though, I warn you. History and Latin are definitely my hardest GCSEs with the most work.
    Yeah, how much you done for Latin then? I've only really learned the Paper 1 vocabulary up to now, and even that there are probably about 10-15 words I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    The treaties of Sevres and others can be on the exam but according to my History teacher they have never ever come up, but they have to teach it just to be on the safe side. And I normally swear by CGP, but I must admit that they are pretty rubbish for humanities, particularly History IMO.

ReputationRep:
    For latin, I've learned paper 1 vocab, learnt my prose stuff. I've done about one fifth of virgil, and I'm yet to start Roman Life topics. I'm don't really need to do any revision for language, but Virgil is epic (geddit?)

ReputationRep:
    For latin, I've learned paper 1 vocab, learnt my prose stuff. I've done about one fifth of virgil, and I'm yet to start Roman Life topics. I'm don't really need to do any revision for language, but Virgil is epic (geddit?)
    Your ahead on your revison, that's great. I plan on getting most the Latin and History done before school starts, and also Maths. That would mean covering 8 of my 22 exams! Sciences alone I have 8 exams, but for the previous ones I took it was all night before revision, and I admit that let me down in that I'm now retaking as I wan't happy with the As I got, but still I'm not going to spend a lot of time this time, just going to go through it fair early on making sure I understand everything, then leave the rest last-minute.

It is English I'm really worried about. In essays at school, I tend to get all As and A*s but that is because I'm allowed to use my notes, and also I tend to write a lot more than I would be able to in the exam, and spend maybe 2 hours on an essay that in the exam I'll only have 45 minutes.. I don't understand how to make it all concise and still get a good grade

Also French, I don't think I'll bother revising for, don't know where to start! I'm jst "okay" at it, I got a B overall in my mock without revision, but I must admit what I wrote was pretty poor.. just not sure how I would revise for the exam, there is so much!

ReputationRep:
    Don't be worried about english. I had the same worries as you, but don't forget that they don't expect you to make very many points in 45 minutes. Go for quality (proper planning) rather than quantity.

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to pop in and wish everyone good luck. Just put the work in then you won't have any regrets.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Thank you Echolife, that's sweet of you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piece_by_piece)
    Thank you Echolife, that's sweet of you
    Ditto.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.