Zoe Lea
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I want to write my epq on the possible mitigation and management strategies of a volcano that is predicted to erupt in the near future. However, I don't know which volcano to write about, there are so many! I want to focus my title on one that has shown some signs of activity and that has a nearby population.
Any ideas or advice on what volcano I should write about??
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zoe Lea)
I want to write my epq on the possible mitigation and management strategies of a volcano that is predicted to erupt in the near future. However, I don't know which volcano to write about, there are so many! I want to focus my title on one that has shown some signs of activity and that has a nearby population.
Any ideas or advice on what volcano I should write about??
Before I did my EPQ, one of the ideas I had was to compare two volcanic eruptions of similar explosivity (e.g. Eyjafjallajokull in 2010 and Mount St Helens in 1980), in terms of their geographical setting, monitoring & prediction and effects of the eruption. Alternatively you could give it a more geographical focus by comparing an eruption in an LEDC against an MEDC, or a geological one by comparing the prediction and effects of volcanoes with different eruptive styles. I'm not sure if writing about just one volcano would give you enough scope for a 4000-5000 word essay, but I'd imagine more well-known volcanoes are likely to have the most information
Zoe Lea
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
Before I did my EPQ, one of the ideas I had was to compare two volcanic eruptions of similar explosivity (e.g. Eyjafjallajokull in 2010 and Mount St Helens in 1980), in terms of their geographical setting, monitoring & prediction and effects of the eruption. Alternatively you could give it a more geographical focus by comparing an eruption in an LEDC against an MEDC, or a geological one by comparing the prediction and effects of volcanoes with different eruptive styles. I'm not sure if writing about just one volcano would give you enough scope for a 4000-5000 word essay, but I'd imagine more well-known volcanoes are likely to have the most information
In order to give me more to write about, I was planning to structure it by taking a possible management/mitigation strategy e.g planning evacuation zones, then using case studies of previous volcanic eruptions to justify why we should use the strat/if we shouldn't use it, how well it worked before ect.

Even after that, do you think I have enough to write about?

I wanted to write about a future volcanic eruption, not a past one, because then I can say that my essay may be useful later on, I don't want to describe something thats already happened.
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zoe Lea)
In order to give me more to write about, I was planning to structure it by taking a possible management/mitigation strategy e.g planning evacuation zones, then using case studies of previous volcanic eruptions to justify why we should use the strat/if we shouldn't use it, how well it worked before ect.

Even after that, do you think I have enough to write about?

I wanted to write about a future volcanic eruption, not a past one, because then I can say that my essay may be useful later on, I don't want to describe something thats already happened.
Yeah I can see why you'd rather write about a future eruption, and expanding on strategies with case studies is a good idea. To generate more detailed discussion you could maybe compare specific aspects of the previous eruptions (e.g. volcano type, principal hazards, local population size etc) to those of a currently dormant volcano (your title volcano) and talk about how those differences would influence the suitability of each strategy for that volcano? I'm not sure if that's what you're going for, but it's an idea
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (93)
5%
Uncertainty around my education (281)
15.1%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (198)
10.64%
Lack of purpose or motivation (262)
14.08%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (82)
4.41%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (107)
5.75%
Loneliness (162)
8.7%
Financial worries (66)
3.55%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (81)
4.35%
Exposure to negative news/social media (88)
4.73%
Lack of real life entertainment (102)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (164)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (175)
9.4%

Watched Threads