Cancerous Lump? Watch

ljcoolio
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
For the past few months I've had an uncomfortable pain in my breast. I've had a feel of both to compare and it feels a little lumpy but more a swollen kind of lumpy, like it could be swollen muscle or something. I'm only 18 and haven't a clue if it's possible that you can get breast cancer at this age or what a cancerous lump even feels like.Could anyone give me any advice as i don't want to feel like I'm overreacting and end up going to the doctors for no reason as flashing your boobs to your doctor isnt the nicest of situations!
Thanks
LJ
MSB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You'd not look at all daft going to the Doctors.
meema
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
go to the doctors. its worth getting it checked out just in case!!
Arielle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's better to be safe than sorry!
Get it checked out
The_Goose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Cancerous lums aren't usually painful but i would get it checked out
m90
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes it's possible to get breast cancer at 18, but more uncommon. It may be just a hormonal thing, or an after effect from being ill with a cold etc (that sometimes causes lumps). However, I really think you should go to a doctor and they can advise what to do, if they're concerned about it, they'll give you a blood test etc, but it will probably turn out to be fine. You can ask especially for a female doctor as well. I hope everything works out fine
Cooro
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My sister had a similar experience, she went to the docs and had it biopsied. Turns out it was nothing, but it's always, always better to know!
xJessx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Your boobs swell sometimes when you're on your period so maybe that's it? It's most likely something hormonal but get it checked out anyway. X
Double Agent
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Its too important an issue to not go due to embarracement. Go and get checked out.
The_Goose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by xJessx)
Your boobs swell sometimes when you're on your period so maybe that's it? It's most likely something hormonal but get it checked out anyway. X

sure;y nt for the last few months
xJessx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The_Goose)
sure;y nt for the last few months
It might have been fluctuating over the last few months - if so, then it could be period related or hormonal. If it's constant then maybe not but I don't know, I'm not a nurse!
The_Goose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ah rite I just thought why would it be the last few months if it's to do with her period??
lazza
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i found a lump a few years ago and had a core biopsy. you get seen quite quickly
had it removed last year
another one's appeared
some of us are just prone to them. tissue can build up and you don't notice it till it's a noticable size. or it could easily just be a cyst!
cancer at our age is RARE but still possible so it's best to get it checked out to KEEP YOUR MIND AT REST more than anything
ask to see a female doctor, they might send you to the breast clinic where a consultant will check it and use an ultrasound to see what it is (we're too young for mammograms, they're not effective at our age). then they may or may not do a biopsy depending on the type of lump. i was offered a fine needle and a core biopsy and went for the core because it's more reliable. WEAR A COMFY BRA AND AVOID SPEED BUMPS AND BUSES!!!! hehe, the most uncomfortable journey home!!

have you told your mum? it's one of those mother daughter bonding things, and she will have gone through the worry at some point too probably!!
davidjones90
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Go to your GP, it's your right to request a female GP and generally they are very good at dealing with this.
EarthWormJim
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wouldn't worry about it, it's highly likely to be a cyst or simply a benign growth. However you still need to go to your GP as these often need removing. Unfortunately some women are very prone to them so need to be extra careful. That doesn't mean that any lump you find in the future should be treated lightly. My ex's mother was prone to cysts and when she turned 50 went for a routine mammogram and was diagnosed with breast cancer.

This doesn't mean you will or that people who are prone to cysts/benign lumps are any more likely to develop cancer later in life, they aren't. Just be equally cautious each time.
ciara
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Incredibly unlikely to be cancerous. A bit of lumpiness is normal, your boobs/boob could well be still growing which might cause it to be a bit sensitive and swollen. I'd still get it checked out though. You're going to be having smear tests soon, showing a doctor a boob is really not that bad! Best to get used to exposing yourself to doctors so that you don't get the fear and put off getting something checked out when you're older that's actually serious.
Laura25
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As embarrassing as it might be you really need to go to your GP. Ask for a female doctor if you'd be more comfortable. It most likely will be innocent but it's better to be safe than sorry. Cancer at 18 is not impossible, I had it at 16 and really, if it is anything bad you want it to get sorted out straight away. However, as most people have said it's most likely to be a cyst but may need removing. Good luck!
xJessx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi OP did you see the doctor?
Emmaleuk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was wondering that also
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (54)
28.88%
No - I got the required grades (110)
58.82%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise