Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How many people apply to do medicine at Oxford, and how many places are there?

Just to get a rough idea.

Cheersss

ReputationRep:
    They take 150 applicants. Over the past 3 years the average amount of successful applicants is 14.3%

ReputationRep:
    I think the real question, for you, is how many get in that haven't the initiative to type 'oxford admissions statistics' into google.

ReputationRep:
    There were 1085 applications and only 149 acceptances as taken from www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/adstats.pdf for the year 2007. But, medicine is competitive everywhere...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Solitary Reaper)
    I think the real question, for you, is how many get in that haven't the initiative to type 'oxford admissions statistics' into google.
    Wow that really is the most witty comment I've ever heard.

ReputationRep:
    May be easier for cambridge, more like 20%....

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elogawjus)
    ...likewise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elogawjus)
    haha i thought you were being serious...
    sarcasm doesnt come across well over the internet...

ReputationRep:
    What you also have to remember is that whilst the statistics for applicants/place are pretty low at ox/cam (I think they are the lowest in the country at cam) the general calibre of applicant is far higher (without getting snobby - its just a fact). So your statistics of 1:8/1:9 ratios mean basically 7 or 8 of them are going to get AAA or better so you have to show you are just that bit more special.

ReputationRep:
    Um, to whoever gave me that bad rep thing, I'm sorry you don't rate my 'odds of getting in' because of my 'lack of initiative', but I couldn't find the statistics and I'm only in year 11, so I wouldn't know a lot on how to find things out about universities.
    Bit rude, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Hey elogawjus, I 'm also in year 11 and thinking about studying medicine at Oxford if I get good enough GCSE results this summer!
    If you are seriously considering doing medicine (regardless of uni) you should really start looking to do some voluntary work with health groups (old people's homes...etc) because that will really bolster your ucas application form.

Good luck!

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.