Heathrow T5 Watch

Student2806
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
So I guess if you've been watching the news today, you'll have seen the inside of Terminal 5 at Heathrow.

Is it just me, or is everyone really overreacting to this? They're calling it some sort of architectural masterpiece. It just looks like a big box with a curved roof to me.

There's nothing unique about it to me - it just looks like another gigantic airport terminal.

I'm also interested in knowing why it cost £4.3 billion.

Madrid Barajas has a £700,000,000 terminal (opened in 2006), which can handle more passengers than T5.
So why did ours cost over 6 times more?

Beijing has a new terminal opening this month which can handle TWICE as many passengers as T5, and yet it's costing £1.8 billion.
dh00001
Report 10 years ago
i like the design its nice.
i think the satellite terminal building adjacent is included in the costing.
i imagine t5 has conciderable more retail space than those others. i think its got around 18 square km.
plus the project required modifications to rail and road.
then there was the storm water tunnel.
they had to divert two rivers.
then here was all the legal costings
veggie4life
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was one of the testers who went to the airport as a fake passenger to test the running. I have to admit the building is VERY impressive - the best terminal i've been in and the automated transport system to the TWO satelittes are awesome. I love it - could persuade me to fly BA
moodring01
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm going there in three weeks. Can't wait to try it all out. How very sad of me. Going to Paris, whoop.
This Is Not A Username
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Madrid Barajas has a £700,000,000 terminal (opened in 2006), which can handle more passengers than T5.
So why did ours cost over 6 times more?
I think we all know the answer to that, it's the same reason that Wembley was late and over budget and that London 2012 will be late and over budget.
Student2806
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by This Is Not A Username)
I think we all know the answer to that, it's the same reason that Wembley was late and over budget and that London 2012 will be late and over budget.
It does raise an interesting question as to why every big thing built in this country comes in grossly over-budget. Actually, no, T5 didn't come in overbudget, but from what I've seen, it doesn't warrant £4.3 billion.
This Is Not A Username
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The trouble with this intersting question is that I don't have an interesting answer, it's just gross mismanagment by companies who know the governement will bail them out if they get into problems.

Like Northen Rock.
Tianbao
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i think the Beijing T3 it's better, not saying this because i'm Chinese, it just the tureth....
veggie4life
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by This Is Not A Username)
because ours is prettier and posher :p:
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
we probably have higher labour costs and stuff

not 'everything' comes in late and overbudget - just a couple of big tiems that were hard to manage in the first place.

in T5 I'll be interesting in 2 things

how it handles cars approachign it and parking there.

how easy it is to know wtf you are going when you are in htere.
veggie4life
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Clubber Lang)
we probably have higher labour costs and stuff

not 'everything' comes in late and overbudget - just a couple of big tiems that were hard to manage in the first place.

in T5 I'll be interesting in 2 things

how it handles cars approachign it and parking there.

how easy it is to know wtf you are going when you are in htere.
pretty good on the signage front HUGE signs all over the place for once lol
ninja-lewis
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I believe the high cost was partly due to the clean up work required on the site. It used to be sewage works IIRC.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1629)
78.92%
Leave (435)
21.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed