The Student Room Group

University or Army officer?

Hi, i'm deciding whether I want to do one or the other. My aspirations for the future is to start my own company. However, I believe I need to develop myself in the meantime.

To do this I face a dilemma, should I join as an officer and develop myself personally with disiplin as well as teamwork and gain experience to become a leader? Or should I study business finance and management at university

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by johnwilliam1
Hi, i'm deciding whether I want to do one or the other. My aspirations for the future is to start my own company. However, I believe I need to develop myself in the meantime.

To do this I face a dilemma, should I join as an officer and develop myself personally with disiplin as well as teamwork and gain experience to become a leader? Or should I study business finance and management at university

The average age at entry at Sandhurst is 25. The demands placed on Army officers are such that you generally require decent personal discipline and leadership before joining.

Obviously, they teach and train you further, and your entry is based on potential, but when you're joining as an 18 year old, how much evidence have you actually got to show your potential?

Go to university, join the UOTC, then see what happens.
Original post by Drewski
The average age at entry at Sandhurst is 25. The demands placed on Army officers are such that you generally require decent personal discipline and leadership before joining.

Obviously, they teach and train you further, and your entry is based on potential, but when you're joining as an 18 year old, how much evidence have you actually got to show your potential?

Go to university, join the UOTC, then see what happens.

I have a friend who is in the same position as me, and he has got accepted. Personally, I am head boy of my school. Do you not think I would be accepted?
Reply 3
Nope. Go to the army for a year or so, then you can do what ever else you want.
Reply 4
I have a friend who is in the same position as me, and he has got accepted. Personally, I am head boy of my school. Do you not think I would be accepted?

I don't know you from Adam, so haven't got a clue.
Being head boy isn't nothing, but it's not much.

Attempting to go to Sandhurst at 18 isn't impossible, but it is unlikely.

Going to university first will make you a better candidate, it'll make you more well-rounded, and it'll give you a better plan b.
Reply 5
Original post by sayan98

Basic officer training takes nearly a year. That's not an option.
Original post by Drewski
I don't know you from Adam, so haven't got a clue.
Being head boy isn't nothing, but it's not much.

Attempting to go to Sandhurst at 18 isn't impossible, but it is unlikely.

Going to university first will make you a better candidate, it'll make you more well-rounded, and it'll give you a better plan b.

I do agree with you, to an extent, I'm 19 now and by the time I join, after exams i'll be 20. (retake)

My entire family has traditionally joined the army, but there is a problem, apparently you have to wait a year to join, do you know anything about this?
Original post by sayan98

You have to stay for minimum 3 years prepably 5, which I don't mind
Original post by Drewski
Basic officer training takes nearly a year. That's not an option.

I'd say go to university, gain lots of experiences with the UOTC (or UAS - personal preference) - it will make your army career easier and you might regret not going to university.

But it is down to you!
Original post by Lucashamps369
I'd say go to university, gain lots of experiences with the UOTC (or UAS - personal preference) - it will make your army career easier and you might regret not going to university.

But it is down to you!

How do you think it would make my career easier?
I do agree with you, to an extent, I'm 19 now and by the time I join, after exams i'll be 20. (retake)

My entire family has traditionally joined the army, but there is a problem, apparently you have to wait a year to join, do you know anything about this?

Nope. Try asking on arrse
Original post by Drewski
I don't know you from Adam

Off topic but what does that saying mean? Have seen it around before :redface:
How do you think it would make my career easier?

Because you will have more of a life experience behind you, and will be more mature and it will make Sandhurst an easier ride (being away etc). After x amount of years in the army you can probably go straight into investment banking.
Original post by CoolCavy

He doesn't know me
You have to stay for minimum 3 years prepably 5, which I don't mind

What a waste of ****ing time. Go on and be a normal soldier then. I'm not sure why you would wanna even be a an officer.
He doesn't know me

i gathered, but why is it always 'adam' :beard:
Original post by Lucashamps369
Because you will have more of a life experience behind you, and will be more mature and it will make Sandhurst an easier ride (being away etc). After x amount of years in the army you can probably go straight into investment banking.

Yes that is right, personally I don't live with my parents so going away shouldn't be that much of a problem, although, with grade inflation nowadays I feel a degree will become a requirement in most jobs in the future which is something that is telling me to go to university
Original post by sayan98
What a waste of ****ing time. Go on and be a normal soldier then. I'm not sure why you would wanna even be a an officer.

Why is it a waste of time?
Original post by CoolCavy

Adam was the first man. I don't him (Adam), Judy like I don't know OP.

Original post by sayan98

You know that different people like different things, right? Some people need to join as leaders or nothing would get done. If OP wants to be an officer, then they want to be an officer. Don't confuse the thread with irrelevancies.
Yes that is right, personally I don't live with my parents so going away shouldn't be that much of a problem, although, with grade inflation nowadays I feel a degree will become a requirement in most jobs in the future which is something that is telling me to go to university

I agree but again, it is your decision, I can't see any risks with going to university, but after Sandhurst you might regret it - I know its f**king impossible in life to predict where you want to be/do and trust me, I hate making bad decisions and I have made far too many, so I always take a conservative stance.

Quick Reply

Latest