The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level French 2018

Scroll to see replies

I do No et Moi and La Haine, does anyone do the same, if so what are you expecting to come up??
hey! i also did paper 1 today and i found the translation hard! How did u get on with the listenning and reading?
and how much do your think would we need to get an A*?
Reply 23
I can only remember 3 questions on the occupation and the resistance: the letters of denunciation (listening), the Vichy regime (reading) and the translation. Am really hoping I haven't accidentally missed something out!!!
Reply 24
And I wonder whether the translation on Wednesday will be the rise of the extreme right, since it didn't come up today.
Listening and reading was OK but damnnnnn that translation really had my head spinning:albertein:
Seeing as it was the first sitting of the new spec and the paper was quite hard i'm really hoping for low grade boundaries + let's hope the next paper isn't too bad!
Does anybody remember what they wrote for the translation loool?!
Original post by picojo
And I wonder whether the translation on Wednesday will be the rise of the extreme right, since it didn't come up today.

Nah, Don't you think it'd be a completley different theme? Je pense que quelque chose sur l'education will come up.
Reply 28
Original post by majorkawaiialert
Nah, Don't you think it'd be a completley different theme? Je pense que quelque chose sur l'education will come up.

Well we did have the education reforms today. Nothing on the Front National though.
Original post by picojo
Well we did have the education reforms today. Nothing on the Front National though.

Very true, better off just knowing everything since we are the first cohort sitting this exam. Good luck!
Reply 30
Original post by majorkawaiialert
Very true, better off just knowing everything since we are the first cohort sitting this exam. Good luck!

You too!
what sort of essay questions do you think will come up? like will they be broad like themes and characters or more specific about certain events in the books/films?
According to my teacher, when she went on the edexcel training course they said the questions are gunna be more specific than last year but you get a choice of two so maybe one will be less specific
Original post by tillybennett99
According to my teacher, when she went on the edexcel training course they said the questions are gunna be more specific than last year but you get a choice of two so maybe one will be less specific

okay thank you thats good to know :smile: does anyone know how to generally structure an essay in terms of how many quotes/ paragraphs etc?
Original post by studentalien
okay thank you thats good to know :smile: does anyone know how to generally structure an essay in terms of how many quotes/ paragraphs etc?

Yep they'll definitely be more specific questions. I don't think you actually need specific quotes, as long as you have some sort of evidence which you can just explain from the book. I do an introduction, three main points (a medium sized paragraph for each point) and then a conclusion where I conclusively sum everything up and that usually gets me quite high marks. Also, try and use like two subjunctive sentences in each essay, apparently examiners looooooove them lol. But yeah if you can remember quotes like basic ones which you can use for lots of essay questions then I would say defo stick around two in, it will probably help with your argument, but as far as I am aware, it's definitely not VITAL as you can still do really well without them
Original post by sarahbenaziza
Yep they'll definitely be more specific questions. I don't think you actually need specific quotes, as long as you have some sort of evidence which you can just explain from the book. I do an introduction, three main points (a medium sized paragraph for each point) and then a conclusion where I conclusively sum everything up and that usually gets me quite high marks. Also, try and use like two subjunctive sentences in each essay, apparently examiners looooooove them lol. But yeah if you can remember quotes like basic ones which you can use for lots of essay questions then I would say defo stick around two in, it will probably help with your argument, but as far as I am aware, it's definitely not VITAL as you can still do really well without them

okay thank you soo much for this, you've been so helpful! sounds like you'll do well - good luck :smile: I'm so nervous that the questions are going to be more specific, how are you revising for them?
No worries!! haha I hope so, good luck to you too! Ummmm revising for the specific questions, I would say go over every possible theme and just generally make sure you know the book and film quite well and significant parts of them so that whatever question comes up - you'll be able to handle it. There will be two questions to pick from so I am sure there will be at least one which you will be able to answer confidently. Good luck again!! :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by teiganjones4
Im studying un sac de billes too! I feel like they’re gonna give us such bad questions though and I’m worried that no matter how much I revise it I still don’t know the whole story :frown:(((

Ive seen the AS questions for this year and they were more focused on themes such as la perte d'enfance and les dangers dont Jo et Maurice ont vu. I think the A level questions will be entered around the important scenes or characters in the book such as L'hotel Excelsior and Marseille/Mancelier ou Francoise?????
Original post by ARISE1
Ive seen the AS questions for this year and they were more focused on themes such as la perte d'enfance and les dangers dont Jo et Maurice ont vu. I think the A level questions will be entered around the important scenes or characters in the book such as L'hotel Excelsior and Marseille/Mancelier ou Francoise?????

That wouldn’t be too bad actually?? I’ve done essays on the manceliers before. I hate character based ones though, I always feel like there’s not as much to say? Thanks :smile:
Yo I'm doing this exam tommorow what would you say about manceliers or marseille or moison nouvelle???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending