creac080200
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Any predictions for questions this year????
Parker Tracy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by creac080200)
Any predictions for questions this year????

I can predict that if you know the text well, have learned your stuff, and have practised writing exam questions under exam conditions, that you will do very well.
louisaah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
do you know if we have to learn the actual ao5 quotes or just briefly what the critic argues?
Jaspar
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by louisaah)
do you know if we have to learn the actual ao5 quotes or just briefly what the critic argues?
The way I've always done it is to name one critic and quote what they say almost exactly (e.g Leavis says "Othello is too stupid to be regarded as a tragic hero" ). after that, then just drop the name and allude to what they say, or loosely state a quote without giving a name (instead just saying "One critic says that..."
birthdefect
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
oh god oh god oh god I’m so screwed for othello lol. Got streetcar in the bag though, hopefully I’ll do ok enough
CarefreeDreams
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How did you guys find Othello?

I picked the theme of identity one- I was able to link a lot of critics to it as well, which I was scared I wouldn't be able to do. Wrote about 6 pages and my line of argument was based on the fact that society makes it hard for people to fit in therefore characters adopt and reconstruct new identity to fit in, but it doesn't always work leading to their downfall. My overarching point was that Shakespeare was being very critical of the society at the time, being too focused on appearances.
Jaspar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CarefreeDreams)
How did you guys find Othello?

I picked the theme of identity one- I was able to link a lot of critics to it as well, which I was scared I wouldn't be able to do. Wrote about 6 pages and my line of argument was based on the fact that society makes it hard for people to fit in therefore characters adopt and reconstruct new identity to fit in, but it doesn't always work leading to their downfall. My overarching point was that Shakespeare was being very critical of the society at the time, being too focused on appearances.
Yeah, I think emphasising the idea of the racial and patriarchal features of contemporary Elizabethan society was the right way to go. Couldn't remember any critical material on Cassio so didn't do that question.

Had Streetcar as my other text, and those questions were horrific as well. Gonna have to pray for good poems and prose questions.
CarefreeDreams
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jaspar)
Yeah, I think emphasising the idea of the racial and patriarchal features of contemporary Elizabethan society was the right way to go. Couldn't remember any critical material on Cassio so didn't do that question.

Had Streetcar as my other text, and those questions were horrific as well. Gonna have to pray for good poems and prose questions.
Yeah I wouldn’t have chosen Cassio either.

At first I didn’t like the streetcar questions but I went with confrontation and it was actually not a bad question. Just worded a bit weirdly.

Which did you do for streetcar and what did you say?
Jaspar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CarefreeDreams)
Yeah I wouldn’t have chosen Cassio either.

At first I didn’t like the streetcar questions but I went with confrontation and it was actually not a bad question. Just worded a bit weirdly.

Which did you do for streetcar and what did you say?
Inner Lives-ideas about how Blanche's inner life is desire for secrecy and acceptance, Stanley's is to reaffirm his patriarchal status as "King", and Stella is conflicted as a woman and wife at the time.

Long answer short, a load of rubbish.
HarveySpecter15
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
What specification was this? A or B?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (96)
61.94%
No (59)
38.06%

Watched Threads