Applying to Midwifery 2019! Watch

SophieHounsell
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Who's applying to midwifery when UCAS opens for 2019/20 cycle?

I am applying to
*Plymouth
*Bournemouth
*UWE Bristol

I am 21 and I have my GCSE English Language exam on the 5th and 8th of June soooo nervous....

So far my work experiences includes
~1 week in maternity
~1 week in clinical
~Volunteering in a charity shop
* and also applied to be a hospital volunteer

and I am planning to start access to midwifery soon with DLC (distance learning centre)

loved to hear from other aspiring midwives on this journey :bubbles::suith::suith:
SmilingWombat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Good luck! I'm not applying for midwifery but will be for child nursing.
Terri1990
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Best of luck!!

I’m applying to midwifery for 2019 intake but I live in Scotland so will be applying to Scottish unis hoping it’ll be 3rd time lucky for me!! X
Leanne2230
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi I’ve recently started my access to Nursing/midwifery via distance learning with the learning curve group.
Hoping to apply for Nursing starting 2019.
I will be 29 in August.

I’m hoping for university of Wolverhampton
LouiseEve123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi i will be applying to UWE, bournemouth and oxford brookes! I start my access in september and re taking my science GCSE. I currently have HCA experience and maternity volunteer experience so hoping it works in my favour! Check that the distance learning course you are taking is acepted by all the uni's as i had a friend who did one and i think it was plymouth that didnt accept distance learning for childrens nursing although this was a few years ago! Did you attend the recent open day?
Leanne2230
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Yes i went on Saturday was so good, i did email them before starting my course but went and checked with admissions on Saturday too and they definitely do.I currently work for a group of busy medical practices alongside nurses and doctors etc but going to look into some volunteer work too.When are you looking at stating uni?
Terri1990
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Sounds like you guys have lots of relevant experience!! Wishing you the best of luck I get butterflies in my tummy when I think about applying this year. I really feel like this could be my year. I’ve never felt so ready for it x
LouiseEve123
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Oh that great news they accept it! I will aplly this oct for midwifery starting sept 2019, you? Do you have a science or biology GCSE? i was going to retake but when i asked the uni if i needed it they said they would acept me without it so now i might save myself the £450!!!
LouiseEve123
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Terri1990)
Sounds like you guys have lots of relevant experience!! Wishing you the best of luck I get butterflies in my tummy when I think about applying this year. I really feel like this could be my year. I’ve never felt so ready for it x
Have they given reason why you were not acdepted last time? do you have any exerpience\? although when i went to uwe open day they said they acdept students with life expereince and mature students who are dedicated so i wouldnt worry if you dont have any xx
Terri1990
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by LouiseEve123)
Have they given reason why you were not acdepted last time? do you have any exerpience\? although when i went to uwe open day they said they acdept students with life expereince and mature students who are dedicated so i wouldnt worry if you dont have any xx
Yes I’ve actually applied twice before lol. First fine they said I fell just short and then they contacted me a week before the course started and offered me a place but by that point I had booked my wedding for the following year so couldn’t afford to give up my job I was so upset! Then last year they said I didn’t have enough relevant experience. I have been trying to get experience any way I can but it’s been really hard finding something! I’ve now managed to get onto a breastfeeding peer support training course which gives me a proper qualification and at the end of it I can volunteer on maternity wards helping new mums establish feeding before they leave hospital. I really hope it will help me! Plus I’m loving the course and can’t wait to get volunteering so it’s a win win only problem is I work full time and I have a 3 year old and 8 month old baby so fitting it in will be hard but if I set my mind to it I’m sure I can make it work x
Leanne2230
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi yes I’m applying Oct to start sept 2019 too.I also have 2 children aged 10 and 4, think fitting everything round the children is my main worry but I have a supportive family and want to do it so much that I will make it work. That breastfeeding course sounds fab and definitely excellent experience for you!So exciting for us x
Terri1990
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Leanne2230)
Hi yes I’m applying Oct to start sept 2019 too.I also have 2 children aged 10 and 4, think fitting everything round the children is my main worry but I have a supportive family and want to do it so much that I will make it work. That breastfeeding course sounds fab and definitely excellent experience for you!So exciting for us x
Yeh I’m worried about doing it around the kids too but like you, my family are so supportive and know how much it means to me. I just need to work everything out financially etc to make sure it doesn’t affect my family in a bad way because I can’t make them all suffer just for me lol. But you are right, if we set our minds to it we will get there because it is what we were meant to do where are you applying to? I can only apply to university if west of Scotland due to where I live do I’m pinning all my hopes on one uni! X
Leanne2230
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Terri1990)
Yeh I’m worried about doing it around the kids too but like you, my family are so supportive and know how much it means to me. I just need to work everything out financially etc to make sure it doesn’t affect my family in a bad way because I can’t make them all suffer just for me lol. But you are right, if we set our minds to it we will get there because it is what we were meant to do where are you applying to? I can only apply to university if west of Scotland due to where I live do I’m pinning all my hopes on one uni! X
University of Wolverhampton is where i really need to go, there are other universities in the area but wolverhampton has a campus that i can do the full 3 years at that uses a local nhs trust so im pinning my hopes on one really too. have you done or doing an access course? x
Terri1990
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Leanne2230)
University of Wolverhampton is where i really need to go, there are other universities in the area but wolverhampton has a campus that i can do the full 3 years at that uses a local nhs trust so im pinning my hopes on one really too. have you done or doing an access course? x
Well best of luck to you! That’s good you have other options though. In Scotland there are only like 3 unis that offer the course and only 1 is less than an hour away from me so that’s my only option. No I already have a degree and I have the grades I need from my highest top so no need for me to do an access. Are you doing one? X
LouiseEve123
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
i am doing a access and retaking my GCSE biology as i only got a D last time xx
Terri1990
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
i am doing a access and retaking my GCSE biology as i only got a D last time xx
Good luck with that ! Do u start ur access in September? X
LouiseEve123
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Yes cant wait xx
Terri1990
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Yes cant wait xx
I’m sure it will be fab, enjoy! What access is it? X
LorRos3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'm 1/4 of my way through an access to HE course in midwifery about to start attending open days within the next couple of weeks. Finding it really hard to get experience in relevent areas. Any advice? Thanks
Jackson7
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Good luck, I’m applying for 2019 as well. I’m currently studying a levels but I’m not convinced I’ll manage to secure a place next year due to lack of healthcare experience
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.58%
No (220)
94.42%

Watched Threads