The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I feel its my duty to defend Emmanuel College since no one else is doing it.
Emma is THE nicest college in cambridge and oxford combined, i mean we have ducks.
We also have the highest marks.
So lets all stop argueing and just agree with me
Original post by &#20026
I feel its my duty to defend Emmanuel College since no one else is doing it.
Emma is THE nicest college in cambridge and oxford combined, i mean we have ducks.
We also have the highest marks.
So lets all stop argueing and just agree with me

I agree :biggrin:
is any one here going to do medicine (hopefully in Emma)?
and is anyone else deferred
Reply 123
I'd say it's Kings, although I'm going to Christ's.
this is the first time i ve seen someone compliment other people's collges
Original post by &#20026
this is the first time i ve seen someone compliment other people's collges

Try reading the thread from the first page.
Original post by &#20026
is any one here going to do medicine (hopefully in Emma)?
and is anyone else deferred

Me! *puts hand up in a school-type fashion before realising you can't actually see me* :redface: I haven't got a deferred offer though...

I think Clare is really pretty, but I don't agree that King's is...I found it too imposing to be pretty. Personal opinion though!
I thought St Johns was really ugly. Clare was nice I spose but it was too small and there wasnt enough little nooks around. Pembroke was beautiful though, and yeah Emma was pretty nice too.
greenerwhiterblacker
I thought St Johns was really ugly. Clare was nice I spose but it was too small and there wasnt enough little nooks around. Pembroke was beautiful though, and yeah Emma was pretty nice too.

You're applying to Caius, so obviously you like stone rather than the red brick of Johns :P I do think that buildings made of stone are gorgeous, but then if you just wanted yellow stone, you could just go to Oxford. Yellow stone does have a certain uplifting quality about it, but the brick buildings of Cambridge have had much more impact on university buildings around the world.

I think Johns is gorgeous, not necessarily because of the quality of the individual buildings but because of 'the whole picture'. It has brick buildings, it has stone buildings, it has gorgeous gardens like Clare, its situated in The Backs, it's got the Bridge of Sighs and its just got so many little nooks and surprising twists and turns. Trinity's huge, but is a lot more ordered. Personally, I don't find this as exciting as Johns.
Reply 129
It's also populated by several hundred *****, which is a bit of a downside.
Jesus gets a commendation from me, after visiting it this afternoon in the snow :biggrin:

RougeRepublic
You're applying to Caius, so obviously you like stone rather than the red brick of Johns :P I do think that buildings made of stone are gorgeous, but then if you just wanted yellow stone, you could just go to Oxford. Yellow stone does have a certain uplifting quality about it, but the brick buildings of Cambridge have had much more impact on university buildings around the world.

I think Johns is gorgeous, not necessarily because of the quality of the individual buildings but because of 'the whole picture'. It has brick buildings, it has stone buildings, it has gorgeous gardens like Clare, its situated in The Backs, it's got the Bridge of Sighs and its just got so many little nooks and surprising twists and turns. Trinity's huge, but is a lot more ordered. Personally, I don't find this as exciting as Johns.

Well maybe, I agree that New Court is really attractive, but I think its more that the courts at the front of St Johns are just so empty, no trees or foliage etc. The Bridge of Sighs is really nice I agree, but its still not enough - and it doesnt have a pretty library :frown: Exciting, interesting perhaps but not pretty in any traditional sense
Reply 132
I, typically, thought Kings and Clare were mesmerising and I also had a thing for Downing - its neoclassical grounds gave it a nice ethereal feel to it. I didn't really choose Caius for its looks lol - but it is the greatest nonetheless :smile:
Reply 133
Also, erndog is that you mate!?
greenerwhiterblacker
Well maybe, I agree that New Court is really attractive, but I think its more that the courts at the front of St Johns are just so empty, no trees or foliage etc. The Bridge of Sighs is really nice I agree, but its still not enough - and it doesnt have a pretty library :frown: Exciting, interesting perhaps but not pretty in any traditional sense

I agree with you about the foliage, it really makes a difference as we can see by the number of people that voted for Clare :rolleyes: The back has a lot of greenery though, especially being a central college. If only they left some trees closer to the front. :mad:
RougeRepublic
I agree with you about the foliage, it really makes a difference as we can see by the number of people that voted for Clare :rolleyes:

You can't see anything by the number of people that voted for anything, as its already been pointed out ^o) The numbers indicate a mix of how many TSRers there are at various colleges, and the first impressions of those who've been to Open Days or Interviews.
Craghyrax
You can't see anything by the number of people that voted for anything, as its already been pointed out ^o) The numbers indicate a mix of how many TSRers there are at various colleges, and the first impressions of those who've been to Open Days or Interviews.

Clare's only a medium-sized college. There would have to be a disproportionately high number of Clare students on TSR. Maybe, just maybe, people who don't go to Clare may have voted for it, thereby bringing the number of votes so high. What's wrong with the first impressions of people who've been to Open Days or interviews anyway? And I'm sure there are many people on TSR who applied to different colleges but didn't get in (probably higher than the number that did get in), which may sway them away from voting for the college they applied for.

Clare has one of the highest applicants-to-acceptances ratios. It's a very popular college. Why? I'm sure there are a lot of reasons but it's 'prettiness' and picturesque image is undoubtedly one of them. So either way, even if you can't tell from that poll, a lot of people like foliage.
Sure, then argue that its nice and pretty based on the empirical evidence we can all see (your last post will do). Just don't use the poll. It doesn't count.

how the hell did you find out, is it that obvious, and i have no idea who you are.
which college has the most private grounds?
i know it has nothing to do with niceness but just wondering

you are nd1008

Latest

Trending

Trending