Turn on thread page Beta

taking a gap year ruin my chances? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Will taking a gap year ruin my chances? I might be reapply for a better chance at university, however I have heard that taking a gap year when applying to top universities will riun your chances of getting into that university. If it helps I am applying for Maths and Economics

ReputationRep:
    Not unless you use the gap year productively, most universities are ok with gap years, and are sometimes encouraged, it promotes you as a mature, confident individual..

ReputationRep:
    what sort of things should I be doing in my gap year?

ReputationRep:
    im on a gap year next year as i didnt apply this time round. I will be applying for Economics and Maths hopefully if i get the grades.

Ive basically organised my gap year now. Im going to be going to zante with the lads in the summer after exams, then in September to march i will be working at deloitte. Then from March to May i will be going to China and the far east to do some volunteering, teaching and maybe some work experience. Then June to August hopefully Camp America and then Uni in September. All this with self teaching myself A2 Further Maths throughout the year.

Unis want to see that you use this year wisely and that it benefits you. They dont like people who will be lazing around. Voulnteer work and work experience are very good things to do. Taking up further maths shows that im keeping in touch with maths which universities fear will be lost during a year out.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing a gap year. I went through a scheme related to the engineering devolopment trust calle A Year In Industry. I've worked since september as a Manufacturing Enginneer at Caterpillar, we make diggers and stuff, it's been great fun.
    With regards to grades and stuff liek that i used the chance to up my grade as i was close to the next grade up ina couple of modules, and a years worth of work experience in your desired fiel of study looks great on you Personal Statement or CV, I aimed above my grase boundries and still got offers.
    If you don't waist your year out it will definately eb a positive not a negative.

ReputationRep:
    Some universities prefer you to not take a gap year if you are doing a maths-based subject because you get out of the habit of doing the work and forget things. Saying that, if you doing waste your year out by doing nothing productive then it might not be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Something which is generally well regarded is paid employment; volunteering for a long period (say 6 months +) is also good.

ReputationRep:
    Totally won't. I got ABB in my A Levels and took a gap year and was accepted into AAB courses at places like Bristol.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.