Turn on thread page Beta

rumours about me and another guy - please help watch

Announcements

(please keep anon as people I know use this site)

Basically, since December there have been rumours about me and one of my male friends, that I am cheating on my boyfriend of a year with this male friend.

My boyfriend and I had a fight a few days ago about this, and my boyfriend was very near to breaking up with me over it. He didn't, but he did ask me to be totally honest and warn me that it was the last straw - if anything like that happened again, he'd break up with me.

Now I've just been told that my male friend's ex girlfriend has been telling people she walked in on me and him kissing. This NEVER happened - all the rumours have been totally untrue but this is ridiculous. I don't know what to do! Should I warn my boyfriend about this rumour, or wait in case he never hears it? I don't want him to get hurt, I'm so scared he might break up with me, I don't want him to be hurt any more.

Please reply.

ReputationRep:
    Ouch. That's a nasty situation to be in. I was in a similar one a year or so ago, only the rumours were about my boyfriend cheating on me - and the whole school pretty much believed them. From my point of view, when it was happening to me, I was really hurt that he didn't tell me about these rumours and for a while, it made me think that he'd done what the rumours were saying he'd done. I felt that if he hadn't done anything, he would have come to me and explained what was happening.

From what you posted, it sounds like your boyfriend was pretty hurt by the rumours before. I think, if I were in your position, I'd tell him pretty quickly about what's going around. Explain who has started the rumours. Your male friend's ex seems to have a bit of a vendetta against one of you, and hopefully your boyfriend can understand this.

I really feel for you. In a your-word-against-hers situation, it's not going to be fun. All in all, I guess I think you need to tell him, but tell him gently and make it obvious you don't have the faintest idea why that girl is spreading rumours.

The difficult thing is, I'm not sure she started the rumour. I think someone started a rumour about her starting a rumour!? That's harder to explain. I'm just so worried.

ReputationRep:
    Tell him what you've heard and assure him it's defenitely not true. If he's a good boyfriend he'll listen to you and trust you. Show him your sincere and sensitive about it and that you would never cheat on him.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2008
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.