Turn on thread page Beta

my mum really hates me! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi

so today, my mum asked me to do something depsite me doing college work. when i complained about having to do it, tbh honest she could have done it herself. she has a massive go and goes "your sister would be able to do it without a problem"

my sister is 4 yrs younger than me and has always been my mums favourite! to my mum my sister cant do anything wrong. i also really needed some money like not even that much to pay for a few retakes and she goes no, yet tonight she has just brought my sister a £30 cheerleading banner!

also i was just singing a song and she goes "will you just shut up, your annoying me!" while my sister was doing walkovers in the lounge in front of her. its really annoying as she just seems to have a go at me for no real reason and her and my brother pick on me all the time. shell also moan if i ever want to do stuff with the family and goes "oh just get a life rather than tagging along" its really annoying as shes really pushing me away and im growing to despise her!! i dont get why she treats me differently grr!!

sorry just having a little rant really

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried talking to her about how you feel? Parents don't always realise that their kids think they're playing favourites.

ReputationRep:
    my advice, sit her down and talk to her when nobody's else is around. Let her know how you feel.

ReputationRep:
    i have told her loads of times. she just says to shut up and stop overreacting and when im acheiving something then she will be 'nice' which is a bit harsh imo!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear that op *hug* it does sound like she favours your sister more but I'm sure she doesn't hate you- your her daughter. Why not try having it out with her and see if you can resolve why shes like that with you, go out just the 2 of you on your own together to try and build a closer relationship

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiejr15)
    i have told her loads of times. she just says to shut up and stop overreacting and when im acheiving something then she will be 'nice' which is a bit harsh imo!

does your dad still live with you?
    you could always talk to him about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiejr15)
    When you say you've told her, do you mean you've told her off after she did something to piss you off, or do you mean you've sat down and discussed it with her? In my experience, the former approach tends to cause a hostile response like the one you've described.

ReputationRep:
    no, i have said it to her properly, but she just says im being stupid. my parents are divorced, but i see my dad all the time. however he wouldnt really care, we dont have the best relationship ever and he wouldnt do anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    my mum is exactly like this. just ignore her and don't speak to her and then she'll feel bad. that's what i do and my mum feels guilty. although this doesn't last for long as she's a complete cow

ReputationRep:
    ive tried it and my mum doesnt feel guilty, i think it just builds up her hate in me more until she goes "if your not in a position to be polite to me, you can leave and find somewhere else to live"

and i dont want to live with my dad so i have to crack and talk again

ReputationRep:
    Even if you've approached her calmly, I can't help feeling that she's taken it as an accusation. You've said she's doing something wrong/is bad at something, so she's responded in kind (talking about your lack of acheivements).

It sounds like she has self-esteem issues. I've known parents who prefer to spend time with the younger kids, since they're more dependent, don't talk back, etc. The younger ones tend to be less judgemental, seeing her a wonderful Mum, while the older ones can pick faults.

ReputationRep:
    your mum sounds horrible! have you ever done anything really bad to upset her?
    has your mum ever hit you?
    my mum smacked me around the face yesterday because i told her she knew f... all.
    got a nice bruise coming up! it's not abuse though, she doesn't do it that often. i've just gradually accepted that she's a mentall unstable psycho.

ReputationRep:
    agreed, the silent treatment might get the message across

ReputationRep:
    well my sister is 13, so she answers back and stuff. in fact my sister is allowed to get away with murder by my mum! so i dont think its cos she doesnt pick faults, cos she is always horrible to my mum! shes never abused me or hit me or anything.

it happened literally 1 second ago, i was on my laptop doing some work then she goes will you go upstairs and bull back my little brothers covers so she can put him in. so i just finished my sentence and she goes "oh for ****s sake your such a lazy fat cow, your sister would do that at the drop of a hat" i was like "grrrrrr" and then when i went to do it, my brother woke up as she tried to carry him up and she goes "look, thanks to your laziness hes awake now" and i was like "huh" he woke up cos you moved him!!!!

omg shes driving me mad!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ignore her. It worked a treat with my mother. Three days did the trick.

ReputationRep:
    when my parents offended me greatly I went out round mates, to the city, anywhere all day during the holidays. I left in the very early morning and got back late [if at all]. I didn't eat at home, or attend any meals, I just locked myself in as soon as i got home. I didn't speak to them at all - completely silent. I ignored all their phone calls, and went somewhere different pretty much everyday so I was untrackable.

It worked. After a week of it, Mum caught me sneaking out at 6am and apologised, we had a chat - resolved everyhting and got back to normal.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, but she just says "if your not going to be civil, you can get out of this house" and i really dont want to live with my dad!!

ReputationRep:
    I have had the same problem with my dad in the past, its better now but we dont communicate now, not to a massive extent!

dont see him enough to build up a relationship again!

my way of telling my parents they were bein complete asses rele wasnt the best way i went for maximum hurt and pain on there part, which i feel bad for now!

it worked thou now, home life is fine now for me!

ReputationRep:
    Every person has a breaking point/weakspot, you just have to do smething that will make her realise.

if living with your dad for a week is a viable option then I'd consider it - he is your dad after all how bad can it actually be. and its only a week, or maybe two, to make her think about what she's been saying.

ReputationRep:
    no, id rather stick it here tbh, my dad and i dont have the best relationship to put it nicely. mainly because about yr ago, i called police over him, not him doing anything to me, but for certain reasons. he wasnt arrested or nothing though! and since then he has a new girlfriend who wont even say hello to me or my older brother and we have said this to my dad, but he says shes shy, which is crap imo, because she speaks fine to my dad and other people. so i wouldnt want to live with them!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2008
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.