The Student Room Group

Work experience related to History or Politics

The only sorts of things I can think of is working somewhere like a museum, or doing some work for an MP (I sort of half know-ish one which may help)

Any ideas much appreciated.
I went to shadow my local MP at Westminister for my work experience and it was the best week of my life, so I recommend that :smile:
Reply 2
blondevalkyrie
I went to shadow my local MP at Westminister for my work experience and it was the best week of my life, so I recommend that :smile:

I've been considering it but know little about it - I mean, for one, what exactly would I be doing? I don't want to be standing around like a spare part for a week :p:

When did you do it?

What about accomodation, etc?

:smile:
Reply 3
blondevalkyrie

Ahh amazing. How did you arrange that?
I worked with a local historian for a week, who was writing a book on the history of a local Franciscan Monastery. I also helped at Chetham's Library, with the archives and primary sources.

Both were very interesting.

=D
OnlyMe!
I've been considering it but know little about it - I mean, for one, what exactly would I be doing? I don't want to be standing around like a spare part for a week :p:

When did you do it?

What about accomodation, etc?

:smile:

I did it for a week in the summer, when we had a designated week off college for work experience. It really depends on the MP and Political Assistant, but because I said I wanted to be a Political Assistant I learnt and carried out the job description. But I also shadowed my MP to the House of Commons as he'd been summoned there. I couldn't get a pass to PMQ's which was unfortunate, but I did get to go and see the Days Orders (i think its called) in the House of Lords and attend a Committee Meeting and on the last day I got a tour. I was very lucky. And thankfully accomodation wasnt an issue as I stayed with my relatives who lived near London and put me up for the week.
history work exp: go ask to work in different musuems like a art and a natrualhistory on, primary and secondary education, and if you can get a place like affinaty89 's

for politics: shadow the loal mp, and the person who you know
Reply 7
blondevalkyrie
I did it for a week in the summer, when we had a designated week off college for work experience. It really depends on the MP and Political Assistant, but because I said I wanted to be a Political Assistant I learnt and carried out the job description. But I also shadowed my MP to the House of Commons as he'd been summoned there. I couldn't get a pass to PMQ's which was unfortunate, but I did get to go and see the Days Orders (i think its called) in the House of Lords and attend a Committee Meeting and on the last day I got a tour. I was very lucky. And thankfully accomodation wasnt an issue as I stayed with my relatives who lived near London and put me up for the week.

Ah I have no such contact in London meaning it'll be pretty pricey.

I guess I could ask if there's any constituency work going?
I'm sure they have a local surgery, open certain days a week for your local MP so you could write and ask which ones, and if you could join them.
Reply 9
How'd did you organise this? And sort it out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending