Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tallon)
    Sorry i'm new; what is OP?

I understand what you're saying though. You either study hard and people think you're a geek, or you don't and you get bad grades. I know which one i'd prefere to be though.
    Hi. OP means original poster, the person who started the thread.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    erm, are A levels in economics and accounting that respectible to uni and jobs like that? I heard somewhere that people find physics a better A level to have on their CV. What about ICT too?
    Economics is respectable while Accounting is not really.
    ICT is definitely not. Even Computing isn't really that liked (as I found out).

ReputationRep:
    i know exactly how you feel. and to make things worse im also going to a conference at cabrdige uni for 4 days on monday and this forums has elightened me to that they nearly all have millions of a*s at gcse.... whereas i... have none

ReputationRep:
    If you put enough work in you could get all A*s.

GCSEs are all about the amount of work you put in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Creative)
    TSR = outliers in a normal distribution curve... hang on now, does that exist.. xD
    Oh you have just reminded me of the S2 past papers that I need to start

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubix)
    If you put enough work in you could get all A*s.

GCSEs are all about the amount of work you put in.

Not entirely. I know people who worked really hard for their GCSEs, and still didn't get all A*s (or even all As). It's a combination of hard work, intelligence, and being good at sitting in a silent room writing an essay as fast as you can / answering inane science questions.

ReputationRep:
    lol...count yourself lucky, have you seen my GCSE grades. not one A* and i'm thrilled. except for the U in physics which doesn't bother me too much. besides, do you actually believe half of these people - they are blatently lying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mel16)
    Not entirely. I know people who worked really hard for their GCSEs, and still didn't get all A*s (or even all As). It's a combination of hard work, intelligence, and being good at sitting in a silent room writing an essay as fast as you can / answering inane science questions.
    I'm going to have to disagree.

If you're not naturally talented, then you have to put more work in, practice more papers, do tuition etc etc. But it is still possible to get the A*s. Not all A*s but very respectable grades nontheless. Im talking 6, 7 or even 8 A*s.

Trust me it is possible. If you keep on saying it isn't then it wont do anything for you.

ReputationRep:
    OP your predicted grades are good!! I went to a pretty dire school about 30% A* - C grades at GCSE... Lessons were pretty rubbish and I just learnt on my own out of books most of the time tbh and I ended up with 4A*s, 5As and 2Bs, I'd never even expected any A*s because no one ever really got them at my school... And they made both my friends and their parents swear in shock lol...

I'm sure you could even surpass your predicted grades if you work hard for the next couple of months.

Regardless of what anyone says imho you should believe in yourself and if you want something go for it. If you work hard you can achieve anything and do anything. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Don't really know what else to say to you. Don't let anyone or anything put you off. TSR's a great resource as well. I know it made a difference to me in my GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubix)
    I'm going to have to disagree.

If you're not naturally talented, then you have to put more work in, practice more papers, do tuition etc etc. But it is still possible to get the A*s. Not all A*s but very respectable grades nontheless. Im talking 6, 7 or even 8 A*s.

Trust me it is possible. If you keep on saying it isn't then it wont do anything for you.
    I'm going to have to disagree too. I worked my ass off for Maths GCSE and no matter how many times and how simply it was explained I just didn't understand, therefore I got a C. There's no way I could have got an A (and probably still couldn't now, at 24, having completed a degree). Of course you're entitled to your opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninaabbey)
    lol...count yourself lucky, have you seen my GCSE grades. not one A* and i'm thrilled. except for the U in physics which doesn't bother me too much. besides, do you actually believe half of these people - they are blatently lying.

i ddent get one wither... it shocks me how people can say how easy it is to just aparently work hard and youll get an a*. in year nine my school tried to send me to the national academy for the gifted and talented youth ova a summer... being me i turned them down. i went from aparently the "top 10% in the uk" to not one a*. and i was exstatic. its now as easy as everyone says, now i wud drift through gcse's and get a*s but thats only because iv seen whats harder at the time its the hardest thing ever. i got u's in physics for everyone of my mocks ... and came out with a c somehow after falling asleep in the exam... i predict the teacher must have re done my coursework

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by relay130591)
    i ddent get one wither... it shocks me how people can say how easy it is to just aparently work hard and youll get an a*. in year nine my school tried to send me to the national academy for the gifted and talented youth ova a summer... being me i turned them down. i went from aparently the "top 10% in the uk" to not one a*. and i was exstatic. its now as easy as everyone says, now i wud drift through gcse's and get a*s but thats only because iv seen whats harder at the time its the hardest thing ever. i got u's in physics for everyone of my mocks ... and came out with a c somehow after falling asleep in the exam... i predict the teacher must have re done my coursework
    i got a U in physics but in all fairness, they made me do it in year 9 - the same year i was predicted an E in maths. so like idiots they gave me a cruddy grade just because they wanted a few As for biology and chemesty. but an A* - i was predicted it, but never got it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    I'm going to have to disagree too. I worked my ass off for Maths GCSE and no matter how many times and how simply it was explained I just didn't understand, therefore I got a C. There's no way I could have got an A (and probably still couldn't now, at 24, having completed a degree). Of course you're entitled to your opinion.
    What if you got tuition and got someone to explain everything to you?
    would you still get a C?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubix)
    What if you got tuition and got someone to explain everything to you?
    would you still get a C?
    I had my dad to do that (he did A-level Maths so he's competent at GCSE level), but explaining doesn't mean I understand it. I bet a million people could try and explain certain things to me and it just wouldn't sink in how it works. But I don't know for sure of course.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    To be honest, we could surely find out what's more important if we knew people's IQ levels here? That way, if you're IQ is brillaint and you get okay/slightly above average GCSEs, whilst someone who claims to have worked harder, who has a lower IQ, get's better GCSEs, that'll surely prove which matters more? I do expect people here are generally very clever and motivated though, as people must have deliberately tried to find an onlnie forum dedicated to learning and grades. But ultiamtely, it's a combo of both really.

I'd be happy with my predicted grades as long as I get a shot at being an actuary. Oh and thanks for the A level tips. Unfortuently, I don't think my colluge allows me to take economics, maths and further, because the schedule is worked out differently. Shame really. I'm suprised ICT is so lowly rated though.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    To be honest, we could surely find out what's more important if we knew people's IQ levels here? That way, if you're IQ is brillaint and you get okay/slightly above average GCSEs, whilst someone who claims to have worked harder, who has a lower IQ, get's better GCSEs, that'll surely prove which matters more? I do expect people here are generally very clever and motivated though, as people must have deliberately tried to find an onlnie forum dedicated to learning and grades. But ultiamtely, it's a combo of both really.
    Hmm, I tend to get called arrogant when I tell people my IQ (and it really isn't that amazing), so I'll just say that I could get into Mensa.

I'd be happy with my predicted grades as long as I get a shot at being an actuary. Oh and thanks for the A level tips. Unfortuently, I don't think my colluge allows me to take economics, maths and further, because the schedule is worked out differently. Shame really. I'm suprised ICT is so lowly rated though.
    Maths, Further Maths and Economics are probably the 3 most important subjects to have if you want to study Economics at university (I know you don't, but it's still bad of your college not to allow students to do this combination). Having done ICT at GCSE and now Computing at A-level I am not surprised at all at its low reputation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    Hmm, I tend to get called arrogant when I tell people my IQ (and it really isn't that amazing), so I'll just say that I could get into Mensa.
    Okay, I'll do it for you, as I'm in Mensa :p: My IQ's 161 at last measure (about a year ago). You can see my grades in my sig. Don't know if they match, never thought about it before now.

Though don't get me started on the crapness of IQ as a measure of true intelligence/genius, I could go on for aeons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternity Forever)
    Oh you have just reminded me of the S2 past papers that I need to start
    I'm so sorry .
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Kathryn128)
    Okay, I'll do it for you, as I'm in Mensa :p: My IQ's 161 at last measure (about a year ago). You can see my grades in my sig. Don't know if they match, never thought about it before now.
    Since your IQ is probably higher than mine now I should be able to post without too many arrogance accusations. I've had mine measured at 164 (10 years ago) and 162 (7 years ago), and I wouldn't be surprised if the downward trend has continued since then. :p: As for grades, you can check my profile.

(Original post by Kathryn128)
    Though don't get me started on the crapness of IQ as a measure of true intelligence/genius, I could go on for aeons.
    Yes, let's not start that one, nor the one about what intelligence really is.

ReputationRep:
    What surprises me a little bit about TSR is the number of people who brag about how they did naff all revision. Although it shouldn't really, because I'm well aware that arrogance is just as prevalent on the internet as elsewhere. Not that I'm personally resentful; I'm lazy and I still have pretty decent grades.

Although I must admit that some of the UMS grades on here make me feel a little insecure. I got 90%+ in A2 Maths (didn't over-exert myself too ), but it seems inadequate in comparison.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.