Looking at these forums depresses me lol! Watch

alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by made_of_fail)
What surprises me a little bit about TSR is the number of people who brag about how they did naff all revision. Although it shouldn't really, because I'm well aware that arrogance is just as prevalent on the internet as elsewhere. Not that I'm personally resentful; I'm lazy and I still have pretty decent grades.

Although I must admit that some of the UMS grades on here make me feel a little insecure. I got 90%+ in A2 Maths (didn't over-exert myself too ), but it seems inadequate in comparison.
Your post seems slightly hypocritical, no?

And I did a lot of revision for my exams; I even made a website with my revision notes for other people at school to use during GCSEs. It has 500 pages worth of material.
made_of_fail
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
that's commendable.

i just wanted to forestall any responses along the lines of 'you're just resentful because you're not as effortlessly brilliant as me'.

i do have my flaws though. a B in AS History. oh the shame.
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you go to www.gradeinfo.co.uk and type in your predicted grades, then you will get an idea of how well you are doing. I put you in as getting 9 Bs and 2 As (the lowest grades you were predicted on each subject, plus Bs for the ones you don't know about yet, and your percentile is 91.92% - pretty good.

The government is trying to have all schools getting 30% of students with 5 A*-C grades - and there are schools with only 2% reaching that level. In fact, only 1 in 3 students get at least 5 Cs, according to gradeinfo.

I know what you mean about overly clever people here - I might get one or two A*s if I'm lucky, the rest As and Bs, and TSR can make you feel inadequate quite easily. (IQs of 164!!?!?! Mine is 120-something!)
Frannnnn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it's okay, TSR is full of nerds and liars.
fisherman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rubix)
If you're not naturally talented, then you have to put more work in, practice more papers, do tuition etc etc. But it is still possible to get the A*s.

I believe that is true to an extent. Just look at private schools. They achieve huge amounts of A's, just because of better teaching.
DeadSniffles
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by fisherman)
I believe that is true to an extent. Just look at private schools. They achieve huge amounts of A's, just because of better teaching.
hmm not necessarily just better teaching
Also down to many other factors like social background and tutors (as many do)
DeadSniffles
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by alex_hk90)
Your post seems slightly hypocritical, no?

And I did a lot of revision for my exams; I even made a website with my revision notes for other people at school to use during GCSEs. It has 500 pages worth of material.
What website is this . If you don't mind sharing the name as it could help me with my GCSEs
fisherman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by :D QPRlover :D)
hmm not necessarily just better teaching
Also down to many other factors like social background and tutors (as many do)
What do tutors do? Teach.
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What website is this . If you don't mind sharing the name as it could help me with my GCSEs
Hmm, it's a private website that I didn't put on any search engine.
I'm not sure how helpful it will be for you as it was a while ago and the specifications may have changed.
Also, I use OpenOffice.org so you'll need to download that to open the files.
Furthermore, much of the notes are simply my notes from class typed up.
But I suppose someone might find it useful:
I Wanna Be Adored
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
GSCEs don't necessarily represent how good you will do at A Level. A level requires more work and as people will have undoubtedly told you- If you don't love the subjects, it's rare that you will put the work in and even rarer that you will get good grades.

I got 7A and 3B at GSCE, which is good but not really in-line with the fact that I should get AAB/ABB at A level. Don't be put off by people with 10 A*, it doesn't really matter, THAT MUCH. (I'm not taking away your achievements either, so don't go throwing a paddy... GEEKS )
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by I Wanna Be Adored)
A level requires more work and as people will have undoubtedly told you- If you don't love the subjects, it's rare that you will put the work in and even rarer that you will get good grades.
I guess it depends on the person but I've found that overall A-levels has actually been less work then GCSEs, due to the sheer number of subjects at GCSE. Also, I know many people (myself included) who are doing subjects that they, shall we say, "less than love" (Physics and Computing ) and are on course for As.
I Wanna Be Adored
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought there was less work (then I got my results...) but I think if you aren't naturally gifted at doing exams- There is a lot of work to do there, and you have to ensure that you can actually make the examiner tick the said boxes. I do think only have a certain number of subjects is clearly a good thing and does make studying easier (especially if you do a group of subject- I do History and Politics- Both require similiar skills, I suppose it is the same for sciences...). I know people don't have to enjoy the subjects, but if you do really love them, it makes life so much better.
Glutamic Acid
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
I've found AS Levels to be sooooo much easier than GCSEs. I seem to spend most of my time asleep.
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by fisherman)
And also because they don't let the thick ones in, kick the crap ones out (inc. mid-way through their GCSEs - I've seen it happen) and the parents do actually care about their kids education and therefore support them through it unlike some other parents.
DeadSniffles
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by alex_hk90)
Hmm, it's a private website that I didn't put on any search engine.
I'm not sure how helpful it will be for you as it was a while ago and the specifications may have changed.
Also, I use OpenOffice.org so you'll need to download that to open the files.
Furthermore, much of the notes are simply my notes from class typed up.
But I suppose someone might find it useful: http://www.wiggins.uk.net/revision/
thanks + rep
did you type them up as you went along?
or a few weeks before exams?
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
thanks + rep
did you type them up as you went along?
or a few weeks before exams?
You're welcome.
And it was a mixture; some were typed up as I went along while others were literally done on the night before the exam.
SouthernFreerider
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tallon)
Looking around here, everybody seems to be boasting about their many As and A*s. I read that some people wanted to reake their unit 2 GCSE science because they got 2 As and they wanted 2 A*S. Seriously that does depress me.

Honestly, I'm in the top sets at my school. My GCSEs are predicted as follows:

Maths: A/A*
Additional maths: no idea, we don't even revise it yet i'm entered for it.
Statistics: no idea???
Physics: B
Chemistry: B
Billogy: B
Englsih Lit: B
English lang: B
History: A/B
RME: A/A*
I.C.T A/B

I mean Jesus Christ I thought those grades were good? Yet there's always someone a lot smarter. Even the two smartest people in my school look average or bad compared to some people on these forums.

It's annoying me because my brother got mostly Cs average and he's off now in a univerity course getting some decent degree in I.CT. My dad also works in I.CT and is very good at it. I think I want to do maths and physics at A level. I'm not sure about ICT really. I;m sure not about A levels either and I could do with some advice from you guys if you don't mind. I was thinknig of getting a job as an actuary. Anyone know anything about it?

My brother's girflfriend got lots of great GCSEs for marshland high school - the shcool I go to now. Basically, she is the best ever for that school probabley. Yet, even she couldn't get into cambridge uni and she's at norwich uni now. I have no idea what she's studying though LOL.

Because my brother only got okay gcse my family seems to think i'm clever. Yet, when I look here everybody seems to outclass me. I'm wondering if people can give me advice as to what courses to do in the future and what i'm capable of. what universities could I even get into to?
thats life mate.

some are better, some are worse.

I mean, for me, if I got 5 low As in my jan modules I just did I would say I did bad. some of my friends were getting 4 Ds and stuff. Tis just the way it rolls.

I know a guy who got 4 lots of 100UMS in his jan modules, but because he got a low A in one of his modules he was kinda bummed about it.
SouthernFreerider
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by elogawjus)
And then I see people on TSR say that their 'furiously disappointed' with like 5A*s and 6As. Whats wrong with these people!?
Nothing, I'm guessing they were disappointed because they underperformed.

To give an analogy, try telling a math genius that a silver in the math challenge is good because it is better than most...
SouthernFreerider
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I Am God
Aesop
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Most people are lying.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (76)
29.69%
No - I got the required grades (147)
57.42%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (33)
12.89%

Watched Threads