The Student Room Group

ExtraCurricular Activities - help??

Hi,
I am planning to apply for MMath this year, for 2009 entry, but I don't really have any extracurricular activities, I do debating and am part of the social committee. I also like to take part in the maths challenges and I took a FSMQ in yr 11 (although I did really badly). I was just wondering what other other activities that are somewhat related to maths I should take part in, and whether I need loads or just a few. Everyone seems to be putting a lot of emphasis on this, as well as extra reading, at college, so I'm really unsure. Please help, as I would love to get into a good university.
Thanx in advance.:confused:
Reply 1
Sport? Music? Drama? They seem to be the usual ones.
yeh everyone says that you need lots of extra curricular activities but i certainly didn't and got all my offers. anyway, you do debating and whatever else, sounds like enough to me!
Reply 3
top universities dont really mind what extracurricular stuff you have but what youve got (eg debating and maths challenge) is good. they want the bulk of your PS to be about your love of the subject. I think oxbridge say 80% about subject + work experience + further reading and 20% extracurricular
Reply 4
Thanks a lot.
Do you know what sort of extra reading I could do for maths?
Reply 5
Erm im not sure because i read a biology magazines. maybe have a look in you're library? i dont think further reading is as important with something like maths but it does give you stuff to write about on your PS
I honestly don't think it'll matter much for maths. I have absolutely no extra-curriculars.
im doing a maths buddy - where i help 2 year 7 pupils who are struggling in maths for an hour a week.
Plus me and a friend run a maths club for year 7/8/9 during a thursday lunchtime
Reply 8
i do loads of extra curricular but i didnt start doing them for my PS - i do them because i like doing stuff other than lessons at school. I do:
- APPAUSE (teaching year 9s sex ed)
- Community leadership (help out in ICT lessons)
- Environment Group (a bit like a gardening club)
- SCI (do science research skills on a thursday afternoon)
- Debating Society every monday lunchtime
- Help out with the school's science activities (because its a science college)
And all that on top of 5 subjects, and i have a social life as well. Ouch what was I thinking??
Reply 9
I don't want to do them just for my PS. I have always wanted to get involved more, but I'm incredibly shy and I have been living with a disorder since year 8 that makes my shyness even worse. Only recently, since changing schools (going to a sixth form college) have I come out of my shell, but I still struggle.
Thanks for your "support" bumblebee_em, I was just asking for advice, there was no need to brag about your own 'wonderful' life.
bumblebee_em
top universities dont really mind what extracurricular stuff you have but what youve got (eg debating and maths challenge) is good. they want the bulk of your PS to be about your love of the subject. I think oxbridge say 80% about subject + work experience + further reading and 20% extracurricular

i went to an oxbridge conference last week and they said they really don't care about extra curriculars! they really focus on grades and teacher references - they pay loads of attention to this, because they need students who will respond well to their teaching - and then a little bit on the personal statement (but they said to write the PS for other unis, not them!). interestingly, the guys said that in most cases the interviews just confirm their decision - in 60%+ of cases, they know whether or not they're going to make an offer before the interview begins!

obviously though, Extra curriculars won't hurt especially for slightly vocational courses, as unis really want students who'll take part in their activities.
Reply 11
TheGazeboGirl
I don't want to do them just for my PS. I have always wanted to get involved more, but I'm incredibly shy and I have been living with a disorder since year 8 that makes my shyness even worse. Only recently, since changing schools (going to a sixth form college) have I come out of my shell, but I still struggle.
Thanks for your "support" bumblebee_em, I was just asking for advice, there was no need to brag about your own 'wonderful' life.

i wasnt bragging and i have a far from wonderful life so dont make asumptions about something you know nothing about. I was just highlighting that I have gotten involved in far too many ECs and it affects my schoolwork. I meant to say that if you take on too much and your grades go down then the uni you want to go to might not let you in. just think before taking on lots of ECs... I wish i had...
Reply 12
The thing I seemed to pick up on was that, when unis look for extra-curriculars, they are not looking for something related to the subject, more something that makes you a better rounded person. Someone who is more likely to take part in uni life, whatever part that might be.

For my part, I wanted to study engineering, and had on my PS:
Amateur dramatics (can't recommend it highly enough, loads of fun)
a vould of jobs (lifeguarding adn waiting, nothing to do with engineering).

Also, anything that involves you doing some sort of public speaking-type of thing always looks good (you tend to need to to a fair few presentations and the like).

As to advice on what you can do, I can't really recommend anything specifically for you, as everyone is different, but something like getting a job shows that you can manage both paid work, and education simultaneously. Something like drama shows public-speaking confidence. Taking part in a society/club shows working with others (managing same shows leadership). The list goes on. Just find something that you like doing, and run with it.
Reply 13
Sorry Bumblebee_em for jumping down your throat, I guess I miss understood your post. Thanks for the advice.
Between now and when you apply, you still have a good 6+ months left of doing such extra cirricular activites which will help your application. So don't worrry! You've got plenty of time left! :p:

At the end of Year 11, I realised I didn't actually do anything. I vowed to try and have a more active contribution within my school and community and I've lived up to it. I am a very lazy person but it's amazing how setting objectives (or a checklist) can get you motivated to become more active. I think that's what you should do first. Think of many activites / events you can start doing and try your chances with them.

I'm hoping to do medicine and I started by applying to many charity shops within my local town centre. (Even though you want to do Maths, give it a go!) I was lucky enough to get a volunteer position at Oxfam which I've remained committed to for the past seven months - simply devoting four hours of my life every Saturday morning. It's something as small and simple as that which can stengthen your application because I've done a lot since I started and I'm very passionate about what I do for Oxfam and I've got a lot to say about it when it comes to writing my PS and talking about it at interviews.

You say you debate at school and you've done UKMT challenges...etc, that really is a fantastic start! Does your school run homework clubs in the library, mentoring workshop programs for those in Year 7 - 9 struggling with Maths, English, or Science? If they do, speak to those in charge and get started right away. I haven't been as committed to homework club since it's on in my frees last thing on Tuesdays which is a pain but since the start of school in September, I've done about 10 weeks which isn't bad. Mentoring is great - well, it depends on your buddy, but it makes you feel good if you can help someone's confidence in a subject they're weak at. You could apply for senior prefect or get involved with NAGTY if you're already not so.

Now, sport / music, well, I've no talent or special areas in regards to these two and it's a bit late to start with music in my opinion. I'm not the sporty type either but you can find a sport you're interested in and stick with it for a while. It helps since some unis might ask how you might contribute to their university in particular and you can just say that you would try out for 'X'.

Hope this has helped. :smile:
Reply 15
TheGazeboGirl
Sorry Bumblebee_em for jumping down your throat, I guess I miss understood your post. Thanks for the advice.
dont worry about it :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending