The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well it kinda sucks for all the people who bought new diesel cars a few years ago after the government said it was the thing to do.

Phase diesels out by all means, but not without a scrappage scheme
Reply 2

But how much of that "Total Pollution" stat is due to diesel emissions? :beard:

Phase them out by all means. Ban outright? No.
How much of that is diesels though?

What will we do with all the diesel vehicles? Scrap them? That can't be good for the environment at all.
What about HGVs which are almost exclusively powered by diesel? Without HGVs, the country grinds to a halt. Stores wont be stocked, and those online orders wont get to you. Delivery costs will soar.

If we want to do something about air quality, how about we start with the real problems? You know... Like Asia, or how about the Shipping industry... Your average Joe driving a diesel isn't going to do nearly as much harm as big industry, or just the shipping industry alone.
Reply 4
Original post by TheMcSame
or how about the Shipping industry... Your average Joe driving a diesel isn't going to do nearly as much harm as big industry, or just the shipping industry alone.

Hybrid container vessels with solar panels, batteries and electric motors...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
electric motors...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

nowadays EM do not run on diesel iirc. I mean some do but majority of them are AC arent they?
Reply 6
What about the new system Bosch have come up with?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/103331/new-bosch-tech-drastically-cuts-diesel-nox-emissions

I love my diesel - you ain't taking it away from me.
Reply 7
Original post by Me2You877
nowadays EM do not run on diesel iirc. I mean some do but majority of them are AC arent they?

What's AC got to do with diesel? You can get a DC/AC converter, if that's needed.
Diesels should be improved instead of completely phased out.

I don't have a car, but I know I'd go for a diesel instead of a petrol - better fuel economy, more torque from lower RPMs, etc.
What's AC got to do with diesel? You can get a DC/AC converter, if that's needed.

its the running power of the EM. not directly correlated to diesel itself but its the motor system.
Reply 10
its the running power of the EM. not directly correlated to diesel itself but its the motor system.

Still don't follow you, sorry...

I haven't done any calcs but I imagine some kind of bank of EMs powered by a battery system which is topped up by solar (eg arrays on top of the containers on the vessel) and diesel (when needed).
Original post by IWMTom
What about the new system Bosch have come up with?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/103331/new-bosch-tech-drastically-cuts-diesel-nox-emissions

in 2020 when this new invention comes into practice is the diesel price set to increase as a result compared to petrol? currently down here diesel is 3p cheaper than petrol. I am vouching for the pricing of diesel to elevate as a result when the era is dawned upon us.
Reply 12
That would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. The diesel engine is one of the most useful, durable and versatile engines ever invented, if well maintained, they will outlive a petrol engine by decades and they can also run on almost any oil. It would make more sense to try and develop cleaner burning fuels and better means of reducing or capturing the particulate matter they produce, before outright banning them.
Reply 13
in 2020 when this new invention comes into practice is the diesel price set to increase as a result compared to petrol? currently down here diesel is 3p cheaper than petrol. I am vouching for the pricing of diesel to elevate as a result when the era is dawned upon us.

Can I come live there? It's 3p dearer here!
Still don't follow you, sorry...

I haven't done any calcs but I imagine some kind of bank of EMs powered by a battery system which is topped up by solar (eg arrays on top of the containers on the vessel) and diesel (when needed).

oh right makes sense. a bit like the EV fueling system mechanism then?
Reply 15
oh right makes sense. a bit like the EV fueling system mechanism then?

Yes, hence why I said hybrid :smile:
Phase it out over a number of years.
Yes, hence why I said hybrid :smile:

first thing first buses needs to be transformed into running petrol. that is another issue within itself. I know there are a couple of buses scattered around that are hybrid but there a many currently which uses diesel l to obviously save costs as it is 'deemed cheaper'
Reply 18
first thing first buses needs to be transformed into running petrol. that is another issue within itself. I know there are a couple of buses scattered around that are hybrid but there a many currently which uses diesel l to obviously save costs as it is 'deemed cheaper'

That solves the problem how exactly? Petrol still kills the planet.
"Total pollutions" isn't just diesel you know :rolleyes:

what u chatting now?

Original post by IWMTom

You drive a Fiat 500 Pop 1.2 petrol, stfu.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending