The Student Room Group

Education saved my life.

Hi,

This is a very... serious post. I'm just warning you that there are a lot of things that I'm going to say which might be sensitive to a few people. If so, please just click off this post. You've been warned. :smile:

So... how do I start this?

When I was younger, I did not have a good childhood. Me, my mother and my sisters were abused by my father. He was an alcoholic and he pretty much hit all of us and verbally abused all of us. We were very low income so my mum couldn't move and it would've been very difficult. My dad made me believe I was very worthless (although my mum did all she could to stop the abuse, she did try, very hard). I didn't really have any friends whatsoever, and I was bullied for essentially being very alone and quiet. I didn't like talking to anyone and I felt really **** honestly.

I eventually got very angry, VERY angry. I kept thinking I was worthless. But then, secondary school started. I had an idea. Education could save my life from abuse. I could do so well in my exams and then move out and actually be stable in my life, and prove my father wrong that I'm not worthless. I was bullied a lot from Y7-Y10. I didn't have many friends, but I did have a few friends. These friends are still in contact with me and they have been true friends since the beginning. They got me through everything, I trusted them. I started to gain confidence, and I started to get less angry. I got involved more, and I made new friends. I felt... happy. Until, I got bullied even more and there was a rumour about me and I lost a few friends but most stuck with me and got me through it.

GCSE's was an escape from abuse. I honestly wanted to do well so I could get a job. GCSE's was much more than just getting a good set of grades, I could actually.... prove everyone wrong that I can do it. That, I am not worthless. I did. I got 11 A* and I was happy.

I was bullied a lot in college and lost a lot of friends due to cancer. I'm getting some of my AS results soon and these results matter so much to me because I can progress and move to Y2. I want to actually leave everyone behind and start afresh in college, and actually be independent. I got a small job this year to help out my mother and myself (my sisters are older than me so they're at uni at this point). This is why I'm really scared for my results.

Education saved my life. It gave me another chance at life. It made me prove that I'm not worthless. It made me progress. I proved my father wrong.

(... and yes TSR has also been a massive help :smile: )

If you're going through abuse, or if you're being bullied, please tell someone you trust.

Has education saved your life?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Quizlet
Hi,

This is a very... serious post. I'm just warning you that there are a lot of things that I'm going to say which might be sensitive to a few people. If so, please just click off this post. You've been warned. :smile:

When I was younger, I did not have a good childhood. Me, my mother and my sisters were abused by my father. He was an alcoholic and he pretty much hit all of us and verbally abused all of us. We were very low income so my mum couldn't move and it would've been very difficult. My dad made me believe I was very worthless (although my mum did all she could to stop the abuse, she did try, very hard). I didn't really have any friends whatsoever, and I was bullied for essentially being very alone and quiet. I didn't like talking to anyone and I felt really **** honestly.

I eventually got very angry, VERY angry. I kept thinking I was worthless. But then, secondary school started. I had an idea. Education could save my life from abuse. I could do so well in my exams and then move out and actually be stable in my life, and prove my father wrong that I'm not worthless. I was bullied a lot from Y7-Y10. I didn't have many friends, but I did have a few friends. These friends are still in contact with me and they have been true friends since the beginning. They got me through everything, I trusted them. I started to gain confidence, and I started to get less angry. I got involved more, and I made new friends. I felt... happy. Until, I got bullied even more and there was a rumour about me and I lost a few friends but most stuck with me and got me through it.

GCSE's was an escape from abuse. I honestly wanted to do well so I could get a job. GCSE's was much more than just getting a good set of grades, I could actually.... prove everyone wrong that I can do it. That, I am not worthless. I did. I got 11 A* and I was happy.

I was bullied a lot in college and lost a lot of friends due to cancer. I'm getting some of my AS results soon and these results matter so much to me because I can progress and move to Y2. I want to actually leave everyone behind and start afresh in college, and actually be independent. I got a small job this year to help out my mother and myself (my sisters are older than me so they're at uni at this point). This is why I'm really scared for my results.

Education saved my life. It gave me another chance at life. It made me prove that I'm not worthless. It made me progress. I proved my father wrong.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Glad to hear you're doing well at the moment despite everything that happened.

Education has not only saved people's lives but it is the single most effective social institution at providing upward social mobility. Education brings many out of poverty and gives people opportunities that they would not have had otherwise.

Keep it up!
Reply 2
You sir are my new role model
Reply 3
Original post by 1dumbo1
You sir are my new role model

:colondollar:

Original post by Cubone-r
Thank you for sharing your experiences. Glad to hear you're doing well at the moment despite everything that happened.

Education has not only saved people's lives but it is the single most effective social institution at providing upward social mobility. Education brings many out of poverty and gives people opportunities that they would not have had otherwise.

Keep it up!

:smile: Education has saved many lives, it has saved mine.
Original post by Quizlet
Hi,

It takes a lot of courage to have achieved so much, without the support or motivation from people surrounding you. Many people in your position would have bailed out and probably looked to drugs or alcohol to solve their problems. Irrespective of your success in education, I think you would have found a way out regardless.
Reply 5
I felt very emotional reading this because I can relate so much to it. My father left my mum and sister and my mum found it difficult raising us. My sister is aapplying to do medicine now and I'm at GCSES. Your story is incredibly inspiring and yes education saved my sister and brought my mum a lot of recognition and respect in a society that has always looked down at us. Thank you for sharing your experiences- you are very brave!

Original post by Quizlet
Hi,

Sorry to hear :hugs: glad it worked out for you (can relate to a lot of it - especially the **** father part..)
And no I don't think so, whilst it can for lots of people (being a bastion of normality if home life is going arwy - has been that for me before) going to a grammar school and basing my self worth entirely on grades (even though I got good grades) initiated my mental health problems
(edited 5 years ago)
This is an incredible story, and it's amazing to see you take something such as education and truly use it to benefit you in so many ways. You're an inspiration to others who are in the same situation, whether they achieve the same means via education or something else.

Being honest, I can't completely relate to your story but I can understand the idea of education saving a life.

I have issues with my mental health, and often school's aren't the best at dealing with students with mental health problems - mine was pretty **** but working toward getting a degree (and possibly a doctorate) has kept me around, and I couldn't be more grateful.
For me education gives me a reason to get out of bed everyday, even when I can't see any point. It's just that little push to do something productive, and though I struggle to really knuckle down and revise, the fact I doing /something/ is enough for me.

The education system is very flawed, but education itself is a blessing.
Reply 8
Original post by Quizlet
Hi,

Didn't know that you've been through a lot and reading this makes me quite emotional. Keep up the courage and the strength to succeed and you will go far in life. Also, my inbox is open if you ever want to have a chat or you can pop to CA chat in the private forum. :smile:
Original post by PsychTrash
This is an incredible story, and it's amazing to see you take something such as education and truly use it to benefit you in so many ways. You're an inspiration to others who are in the same situation, whether they achieve the same means via education or something else.

Being honest, I can't completely relate to your story but I can understand the idea of education saving a life.

I have issues with my mental health, and often school's aren't the best at dealing with students with mental health problems - mine was pretty **** but working toward getting a degree (and possibly a doctorate) has kept me around, and I couldn't be more grateful.
For me education gives me a reason to get out of bed everyday, even when I can't see any point. It's just that little push to do something productive, and though I struggle to really knuckle down and revise, the fact I doing /something/ is enough for me.

The education system is very flawed, but education itself is a blessing.

That is true, universities have far better mental health provision than schools (my school tried it's best to help but they couldn't do much and at that time couldn't see a doctor) and uni is a purpose to get out of bed for as you say
Reply 10
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Didn't know that you've been through a lot and reading this makes me quite emotional. Keep up the courage and the strength to succeed and you will go far in life. Also, my inbox is open if you ever want to have a chat or you can pop to CA chat in the private forum. :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Latest