I think I have a mole that is growing hairs, do I need to see a doctor? Watch

Mysterygirl96
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have a black spot on my chin which looks like it might be mole but I'm not 100% sure, I don't know how it got there, I just noticed it one day. It's not a big spot/mole, it kind of looks like a beauty spot, which is what I thought it was at first until little hairs started growing out of it which I've been trimming. I've had this for a few years and it hasn't bothered me and I thought nothing of it until recently when I noticed that the hairs were growing quicker than they usually do after trimming them. I've googled stuff and have read a previous discussion about others who have/had a mole with growing hairs and many suggestions have been to pluck the hairs or shave them but I'm worried that if I do, I might make it worse and as I'm not sure what the spot is, I don't want to aggravate it , also I've read that if you shave or pluck them it may cause cancer. Should I see a doctor about this? Do I need to be concerned about this?
HClarkson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If it begins to itch or bleed, go see a doctor. If it grows, has a really weird shape or undefined edges go see a doctor. If you’re really worried go see a doctor. Your gp will be very experienced in looking at things like this as it is a common worry. Hope this helps. Please make sure to let us know what you decide to do.
Jono*
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mysterygirl96)
I have a black spot on my chin which looks like it might be mole but I'm not 100% sure, I don't know how it got there, I just noticed it one day. It's not a big spot/mole, it kind of looks like a beauty spot, which is what I thought it was at first until little hairs started growing out of it which I've been trimming. I've had this for a few years and it hasn't bothered me and I thought nothing of it until recently when I noticed that the hairs were growing quicker than they usually do after trimming them. I've googled stuff and have read a previous discussion about others who have/had a mole with growing hairs and many suggestions have been to pluck the hairs or shave them but I'm worried that if I do, I might make it worse and as I'm not sure what the spot is, I don't want to aggravate it , also I've read that if you shave or pluck them it may cause cancer. Should I see a doctor about this? Do I need to be concerned about this?
I used to have a small mole on the side of my face that also grew hairs, They got cut everytime I shaved and I've never heard of it causing cancer (mind you I never bothered to research it as I thought nothing of it) It's completely gone now, had it mabye 4 years, so they usually go away eventually. But if you're worried it's always better to just go to a gp
Mysterygirl96
Rep:
?
(Original post by HClarkson)
If it begins to itch or bleed, go see a doctor. If it grows, has a really weird shape or undefined edges go see a doctor. If you’re really worried go see a doctor. Your gp will be very experienced in looking at things like this as it is a common worry. Hope this helps. Please make sure to let us know what you decide to do.
It doesn't hurt or anything, it just looks like a normal beauty spot with some hairs growing out of it, so I'm not worried about it yet, I just wondered if I should be worried. I'll keep an eye on it and see doctor if anything changes. Thanks for your help
Mysterygirl96
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jono*)
I used to have a small mole on the side of my face that also grew hairs, They got cut everytime I shaved and I've never heard of it causing cancer (mind you I never bothered to research it as I thought nothing of it) It's completely gone now, had it mabye 4 years, so they usually go away eventually. But if you're worried it's always better to just go to a gp
Really? So yours went away by shaving it off?
Jono*
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
no I mean the hairs that grew out of it got shaved when I shaved my face lol. I wouldn't recommend trying to hack off a mole with a blade
Mysterygirl96
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jono*)
no I mean the hairs that grew out of it got shaved when I shaved my face lol. I wouldn't recommend trying to hack off a mole with a blade
Oh haha! That makes sense
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (35)
25.18%
No (104)
74.82%

Watched Threads