Turn on thread page Beta

Who was the most significant British monarch? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    And why?

ReputationRep:
    Henry the ate. reformation big change in cultural mindset... anti european, i think the isolationism led to the empire when our country was actually the best...

ReputationRep:
    King Alfred or William I for the way they changed the country.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty rubbish topic for discussion..

Lady Jane Grey. Thirteen days make all the difference.

ReputationRep:
    Surely Queen Victoria?

ReputationRep:
    Queen Elizabeth, virgin queen, builder of the First British Empire and the one who kept the Spanish in line?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tory Dan)
    Queen Elizabeth, virgin queen, builder of the First British Empire and the one who kept the Spanish in line?
    What does the fact she remained a virgin have to do with anything?!

ReputationRep:
    Queen Victoria or Edward 1st.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say as a monarch who himself/herself had an effect, and not merely one who lived in significant times, Edward the Third, John or Henry the Third.

ReputationRep:
    Henry VIII - establishment of the church of england

ReputationRep:
    actually, William I, for invading us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tory Dan)
    'she was remarkable not for her abilities but the fact that unlike many of her sisters she was able to act on them' history boys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by random_bloke)
    actually, William I, for invading us.
    No :mad:

The Vikings were perfectly happy having invaded the country first.

ReputationRep:
    And the saxons before them, and the romans before them... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Queen Victoria, ruler of the biggest empire History has ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fjarskafinn)
    Pretty rubbish topic for discussion..
    Frankly, don't reply. You have no obligation to reply if you can't justify and debate which British monarch was the most significant. There is, actually, a wealth of ideas, themes and opinions that could be discussed here.

I care [ ] this much about your opinion on whether its a "rubbish topic". With all due respect, of course.

Given the amount of interest this thread has received, surely you can't criticise me on that criteria?

ReputationRep:
    Henry VIII. Reformation made a massive impact on the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethelred the Unready)
    Frankly, don't reply. You have no obligation to reply if you can't justify and debate which British monarch was the most significant. There is, actually, a wealth of ideas that could be discussed here.

I care [ ] this much about your opinion on whether its a "rubbish topic". With all due respect, of course.
    Not noticed that I'm the only person tackling other people's views so far?

I currently disagree with: Elizabeth I and William I, if you look closely. So you could thank me for sparking up the 'debate' element..

ReputationRep:
    Well I guess it will be a choice of Elizabeth I, Henry VIII or Victoria.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Assuming that James I (of England) was the first 'British' monarch in that he ruled England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland; I'd have to say Victoria. All the other cool monarchs were just English

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.