Comming back from smoking in Holland. Watch

Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Just an interesting thought I had, and was wondering the legality of this situation.

Suppose someone went to amsterdam and got totally stoned, then caught a flight back to the UK and was still stoned when they arrived. Would they be arrested?

*Note* I have not done, nor am going to do this, was just wondering it.
Belle-x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Probably, yes.
Slash_GNR
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I'm not entirely sure on this but I imagine there wouldn't be a lot they could do about it because as far as I am aware on the ferry back from Holland you are actually allowed to smoke cannabis until you are a certain distance from the UK port you are going to.
amy.dd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, the police are not gonna waste their time arresting stoned people.
I thought cannabis was illegal, not being caught under the influence of it (unless possibly driving a car etc).
Reue
Rep:
?
(Original post by amy.dd)
No, the police are not gonna waste their time arresting stoned people.
Im not asking about wether the police could be 'assed' to do it, im wondering if it would be illegal or not.
blujazfan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not a cop in Europe but the more accurate question is whether or not you are allowed to be stoned in the UK since the actual smoking of the cannabis occurred in Amsterdam not the UK. If it is illegal to be stoned in the UK then I suppose you could be arrested.
amy.dd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well as I mentioned, I'm pretty sure its only illegal to HAVE it on you and even then it is normally over a certain quantity to get a criminal record.
Unless you are driving, maybe.

However, Im not saying that I know for a fact etc.
BIG BAD BOB
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
Im not asking about wether the police could be 'assed' to do it, im wondering if it would be illegal or not.
Technically it is illegal to be under the influence of cannabis as it is a class C drug... Though the police do not use the same technology such as breathalysers to detect ethanol to similarly detect THC (albeit I believe there are such devices) so technically it would be impossible to prove at that moment in time.
x.Fluffy.x
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Belle-x)
Probably, yes.
Forgive my bluntness, but you're an idiot.

No you would not be arrested for coming into the country stoned.

If you were still carrying drugs, that would of course be an entirely different kettle of fish.
eDDeboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There's no law against being stoned, only possession.

You could be pilled up to your eyeballs and not be arrested.. But they have the right to search you because you may have stuff on you.
Reue
Rep:
?
(Original post by x.Fluffy.x)
No you would not be arrested for coming into the country stoned.

Once again, I am not asking about what they would or would not do.

Im asking if it is 100% legal or not. Theres alot of things illegal in this country which you would never be arrested for. Thats not what I'm asking about in this case.
rosetinted
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can only be arrested for possession of cannabis, not having smoked it. It is not illegal to be stoned, mainly because it's difficult for them to prove that you are. Driving under the influence of drugs is illegal, so you could be arrested for that.
Belle-x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by x.Fluffy.x)
Forgive my bluntness, but you're an idiot.
Oh, thank you.:rolleyes:
tom_tom_tom
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As long as u havent packed ur self full of cannabis and were planning on getting through customs like that i dont think they would care.

interestingly enough, everytime i come into bristol airport flying alone, they always ask me if i have come from amsterdam, if eveytime i have arrived there has been a amsterdam flight in at a simular time or if i just look dodgy i dunno!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
IT IS ILLEGAL TO BE IN PROCESSION OF CANABIS!

However the police will turned a blind eye for minor procession providing you don't smoke it in public.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, being stoned is not being in possession of cannabis. Thus, perfectly legal. It'd be the same if the police found you wandering around with your eyeballs like dustbin lids - not illegal.
pretz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Yes, being stoned is not being in possession of cannabis. Thus, perfectly legal. It'd be the same if the police found you wandering around with your eyeballs like dustbin lids - not illegal.
And gracias a dios for that...
_jackofdiamonds
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I hope not. That would really harsh my mellow.
Brighten
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it's illegal to be drunk on an aeroplane, but I imagine as long as you weren't acting strangely and didn't stink of the stuff nothing would happen.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You don't get done at all, we smoked everything we had left and got really baked before we got on the aeroplane both times we went to Amsterdam in the summer. Checked in and went through security and everything. Apparently you can have upto 7 grams on you when you go through the airport and all you'll get is an administrative fine, but i'm not gonna test this while the royal mail exists. O yeah, and you can't get arrested for being on drugs unless you're in a position of responsibility like driving a car, the idea is that if you're in real danger you won't avoid going to A&E.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (234)
27.34%
No (622)
72.66%

Watched Threads