The Student Room Group

No facilitating subjects at a level?

Hi! Im currently in Year 10, and will have to choose my a levels fairly soon (beginning of year 11ish). Currently, I want to do a joint honours in Sociology and Politics at a Russell group uni (currently thinking York), and then go into politics. I want to do Government and Politics, Economics, and Classical Civilisations at A Level, but obviously this contains no facilitating subjects. It’s not that I’m not academically able to do facilitating subjects (predicted 7s,8s, and 9s at gcse) but these are just the ones I’m passionate about. Also, I definitely do not want to do four a levels. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Original post by rebekahrosa
Hi! Im currently in Year 10, and will have to choose my a levels fairly soon (beginning of year 11ish). Currently, I want to do a joint honours in Sociology and Politics at a Russell group uni (currently thinking York), and then go into politics. I want to do Government and Politics, Economics, and Classical Civilisations at A Level, but obviously this contains no facilitating subjects. It’s not that I’m not academically able to do facilitating subjects (predicted 7s,8s, and 9s at gcse) but these are just the ones I’m passionate about. Also, I definitely do not want to do four a levels. Any advice would be much appreciated!

For some reason "facilitating subjects" have been misinterpreted by young students. Facilitating subjects are merely recommended to keep your options open, they do not make it more or less likely that you will be accepted into a Russell Group university.

For both Sociology and Politics there are no specific required subject requirements. (see slide 26 and 27: https://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media/5272/informedchoices-print.pdf). However, there are some "useful" subjects that the universities list which include Politics and Economics.

Your A level choices fit perfectly for a joint honours degree in Sociology and Politics, nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply

Latest