Turn on thread page Beta

What influenced your music taste? watch

ReputationRep:
    Movies influence me
    Specially cult films

ReputationRep:
    My Dad has quite diverse taste in music, i grew up listening to LZ, Rancid, Sabbath, Minor Threat, Hendrix, Springsteen, The Clash, Squeeze. I think he bought me up quite well as i'm rather openminded with music, but i favour progressive experimental

ReputationRep:
    I grew up with 90s pop - the first album (on tape!) that I ever bought was B*witched's first album. I guess I got into all this, firstly because I was a 7 year old girl and this was very much little girls' pop music! I guess there was influence from kids' TV such as Live & Kicking who always had bands on, SMTV, CDK etc. But even then I was quite selective. I loved dancing and so my favourites were B*witched, cos I loved the little Irish jigs, and Steps cos they had fully choreographed dance moves. The only stuff that my dad and I agreed on in those days were the Corrs (see the Irish trend...) - but now we agree about almost everything.

I remember moving on from the cheesy pop when I was in year 7 at secondary school and a boy in the year above me who lived down the road lent me some of his CDs to get me into 'proper music' - they were Coldplay - AROBTTH, RHCP - By the way and Feeder - Comfort in Sound. These are still 3 of my favourite albums to this day. I remember listening to them and not thinking much on the first listen, but the more I listened, the more I really started to like them.

My best friend lent me Muse - Origin of Symmetry and Absolution in about year 8/9. Again, I hated it on first listen, until I got to Butterflies and Hurricanes, which has this beautiful piano interlude. I loved that track and slowly started to appreciate the full album. To this day Muse are probably my favourite band. I went to see the Manics on my 15th birthday, because I'd heard a bit from my dad and the gig was actually on my bday. I loved the whole experience and haven't stopped going to gigs regularly ever since!

My boyfriend played with a folk band and was a fantastic violinist. He was very up to date with the folk/indie/acoustic scene. He lent me a lot of classic rock music, as well as more recent folk rock, which I really did get into. I also joined the school folk band which several of my friends played in. I absolutely love Irish music in particular now and I think thats partly down to those little b*witched jigs, and watching Riverdance over and over again when I was little!

I think having a classical music grounding in clarinet, piano and recorder from a young age helped me to appreciate technically complex music. My tastes are pretty diverse now but I always tend to pick out stuff which is less formulaic and more innovative, individual and musically well written - and often rooted in folk. Sigur Ros, The Decemberists, Seth Lakeman, Arcade Fire, Fields, Muse, RHCP, Get Cape Wear Cape Fly, Snow Patrol, Editors, Doves, British Sea Power, Gogol Bordello, Bloc Party, Guillemots, Feeder, Broken Social Scene, The Verve, Manics, Pink Floyd, Led Zep. I'm not so keen on some of the recent stuff like the Hoosiers, The Fray, The Feeling, Hard-Fi, or any of those bands where all the songs sound the same. Not a great fan of singer-songwriters in general either, for the same reason.

ReputationRep:
    my sister got me onto the manics.
    my brothers onto 80's rock
    my mother onto musicals.
    and its all been down hill from there

ReputationRep:
    My iTunes library represents the British working class man. From the 60s-Modern day, Music is a very cultural thing for me, and something which we should respect. As gay as that may sound...

ReputationRep:
    my brother and father

ReputationRep:
    I blame my parents. A lot of the music I listen to is stuff they played when I was little.

Other than that I just have good taste in stuff

ReputationRep:
    Mum/Dad/Brother.

My mums into The blues and Soul and well just about everything, so so am I with three exceptions Country and Western, Dance/trance/triphop/chav and Jungle, which isn't my bag.

ReputationRep:
    I got really into stuff like Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and Inspiral Carpets and Charlatans when I was about 10. I also like the Clash back then. I like Oasis but was a bit late getting into them. I was into British stuff mainly. Later I got into Springsteen, Lou Reed and some American stuff etc. I never liked The Smiths until I bought their best of whilst at uni and then they grew on me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarCAZm)
    my sister got me onto the manics.
    my brothers onto 80's rock
    my mother onto musicals.
    and its all been down hill from there
    Likewise.. and I think they're still probably my favourite band - if we're talking mainly about the first three albums, that is.

I'm 22, so a little bit younger than the OP, but my siblings are 28, 35 and 39 respectively and my parents are in their mid-50s - so they mostly grew up in different eras.

I have my parents to thank for a load of 60s/70s stuff from typical mod stuff (Beatles in particular) to motown. My brother was responsible for the metal and punk influences; my eldest sister provided the 70s-80s glam rock and new wave stuff; and my other sister was responsible for the early-90s stuff (most notably the Manics - but everything from grunge to indie and Britpop, really).

After the mid-90s I started finding stuff for myself, and not long after that, I met my current boyfriend who has since introduced me to quite a few genres I wasn't too familiar with - mainly jazz, but also hardcore metal and drum&bass.

So, in short, the whole of my immediate family and my other half (who is pretty much immediate family now) have been the starting point for my discovering most of the music I have ever listened to.

ReputationRep:
    My mother got me into David Bowie and The Velvet Underground.
    My father got me into Roxy Music
    And I discovered all the "embarrassing" 80s bands that I'm not supposed to like (the Associates, ABC, OMD, Bronski Beat, Soft Cell etc) by myself. I'm not entirely sure how.

Oh, and I became a Muse fan when I about twelve years old after seeing them on TOTP...

ReputationRep:
    My brothers grew up listening to Oasis, Stone Roses, Pulp etc so that's the type of music I heard when I was younger so I suppose that's my influence

i used to always like what my dad liked, old classic rock. then i moved on to copy my older sisters tastes and then some how got into dance and trance
    i still like the others but i have no idea how i got into what i like now. i guess i heard one track somewhere and then went digging

ReputationRep:
    Initially influenced by parents and one of my grandparents with classic rock (Status Quo and Meat Loaf) and other artists (Madness). Then I fell to the dark side of thrash and NWOBHM.

ReputationRep:
    My brothers, a free CD in Q and my indie friend.

ReputationRep:
    The internet

After getting bored of what was on the radio and the bland indie-rock i was listening to at 14, i started really using the internet to find bands such as Tool, Earthtone9, SikTh, Mahumodo, Pitchshifter..

At around the same time i started to go to a local pub that had bands playing in the back room. I was there seeing bands at least once a week, ive seen most of the 'cool' bands there years ago.. Foals, Youthmovies, BMTH, Get cape wear cape fly.. I also used the internet again to reach genres such as doom metal, post-rock and screamo. It came to the point where no decent band could go through the UK underground without me knowing of them.

Now i spend most of my time listening to the bands on my label/potential bands for my label and working closely with them and other small record labels.. it becomes a small world where everyone is interested in what youre doing while you keep an eye on them, and a UK band cant sign to a lgood abel/play with a good band without escaping our notice.

ReputationRep:
    My music taste is so varied, I can't pinpoint any influences.

I used to listen to S Club 7, Spice Girls, etc... purely because I was like every other 9-year-old girl.

Then I moved on to nu-metal rubbish like Linkin Park and Lostprophets, probably due to my tweenage disaffection. This kind of introduced me to more 'rock/indie' music.

And it kind of went from there. But now, I listen to huge variety of stuff, like Royksopp, Foals, Aqualung, the Blood Brothers, NERD, The Wombats, Sufjan Stevens, Gallows, The Blow, The Faint, Bright Eyes, Lupe Fiasco, Simian Mobile Disco, Hot Chip, Camera Obscura, Tom Vek, Bearsuit, Kubichek, We Are Scientists, Every Time I Die...

I stumble across a lot of bands by just browsing the internet.

ReputationRep:
    the first album i bought was bone-thugs in harmony but i quickly went in the nu-metal direction in year 8-9 korn, linkin park, limp biscuit, nirvana, stained, lost prophets all that jazz.

rap and hip hop was the sound track to my mid teens though.

the two major factors in my taste has to be my depression at the time and equally my dad. my dad was into the punk scene, post punk, blues, rock, 80's, 90's indie and really knew his stuff. i still swap music with him now.

i've recently started to enjoy king crimson and cinematic orchestra amongst other things but joy division and the cure have two be my favourites.

modern music does'nt d much for me , well mostly. i like the strokes, white stripes, muse, protokoll, interpol, kasabian.

ReputationRep:
    Well i fell in love with The Libertines at about 14/15, got steadily further into indie as i got older. Then the kooks came out and i realised what a joke the whole genre had become. Abandoned ship at about 17, started listening more to my sisters cd's. Funeral for a Friend, My Chemical Romance, early Underoath became some of my favourites. Then i gradually got out of the emo phase (although i do still love those bands) and went for music on the punkier side. Now i love Refused, Rise Against, Gallows, The Gaslight Anthem, The Ghost of a Thousand, Alexisonfire etc. Also dip into metal now and again, As I Lay Dying, recent Underoath, Dillinger Escape Plan, SOAD, etc. Oh yeah and i still like a bit of emo, Madina Lake and Fallout Boy being particular guilty pleasures.

So its been a gradual evolution, caused by changing tastes and dislike for certain elements of current music

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.