The Student Room Group

English Creative Writing

Can anyone tell me how to improve my creative writing? Thanks x

Write about an incident when you felt very guilty

I grasp the chubby fingers of my little sister and drag her up the forest’s hill. Trees arch over us, their leaves rendering the vibrant light to glisten between the luscious foliage. The sun’s rays reach down and envelop us, her loving arms keeping us warm.

“I’m tired,” Tiffy moans, “Stop! Stop! Stop!” I crouch down so she can jump on my back and continue to tackle the elongated path that seems to grow with the vivacious plants around it. Effervescent flowers dance in the wind, spreading their saccharine scent wafting through the sticky air.

Finally, after what feels like years, we reach the top of the hill and collapse amongst the pure, white daisies; they allow me to reminisce on faded memories from long ago. I lightly twist the stem of one between my fingertips, feeling each dainty hair brush past my skin. The clearing around us seems so secure, safe. Hidden away in this immense forest, it awaits adventure.

“Milly, Milly,” my little sister wines, far too close to my ear. “Come on! Come on! We need to make a flower circle for the fairies!” Absolute jubilance sings melodic notes through her cute, little voice.

“Come on then” I smile, the sun shining incandescently against my face. I wrap an arm of protection around her shoulder, as we hunt for flowers deemed intricate and picturesque enough for a potent fairy queen.

Violets, sapphires, vivid oranges and tranquil, pastel pinks form a flamboyant spectrum of hues that lie beautifully around our feet. “This one, this one!” My little sister erupts with joyous laughter. A cordial blue joins our treasured pile of gorgeous flowers, for a gorgeous summer’s day.

Delicately, as if an artist guides our fingers, we shape the flowers into an enthralling flower ring. Colours burst from all around; we stare at our work, captivated by the magical ambience. Small, chubby fingers slip between mine, “I hope they come,” she whispers. I can feel her faith teetering over the edge.

“Go and hide and I’ll find you then,” I moan, knowing this game will take hours. She potters off into the distance whilst I count to an obscenely high number. The second she’s out of sight I grab my supplies. Lightly, glitter sprinkles to the ground. It flutters over the fairy circle and settles peacefully. I feel the trees leering over me. Watching. Guilt sharply stabs into my heart. Obtruding thoughts render my heart to pound with trepidation. I think I hear silenced footsteps behind me whilst I’m placing too saccharine sweets in the circle. I don’t look back. Just carry on with my hurried motions, my arms spinning a web of lies. Maybe pleasant lies. However, still lies after all. Malevolent lies. Small, chubby hands tap on my shoulder and I freeze. My limbs no longer mine to control. A light in her eyes seems to dwindle. “Why, why?” Innocent tears splutter down my sister’s face, etching lines of pain into her being. “Are, are they not real then, you lied to me!” She screams and storms off into the forest. The trees envelop, cradling her until she disappears into the unknown.

All I can do is stare.

With helpless eyes I watch her leave. A coating of Guilt lies thick around my thieving fingers. In an instant I snap back, my mind reaches for the reality. Ferociously I kick away the too saccharine sweets and race off into the forest, worries snapping at my every turn. I search.

At last, my fingers slip back between her chubby, little ones. Intertwined we walk glumly back to the fairy circle to collect out belongings. I can feel the weight of her shattered imagination next to me. I have no idea how to glue so many glistening fragments back together. The sun shines far too hot for something so dismal. It mocks us.

Laughter crackles through the air. Something I thought I’d almost forgotten. Delicious sweets and intricate, little stars that twinkle lie around our fairy circle. “It worked, it worked!” My little sister giggles with jubilance, her cheeks a rosy red. My eyes catch a glimpse of an idiosyncratic light drifting between the trees. Could it really be? A faith I thought I had lost long ago is restored even in me. As if it were magic, I feel my heartbeat, just a bit stronger.
Cant mark yourpaper for you, but I do suggest you watch the Mr Salles views on technique for the creative writing section.

Look in the playlist, there are plenty of videos on planning and writing the short story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZUv4l21Rck&list=PLQovVw7yuGiKVS6XgH0au4Ss6-jEm8pD6

Quick Reply

Latest