Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can't stand the people that imply that I have some sort of obligation to vote. "Do you ever go to student nights? Have you ever been a minority? Have you ever breathed oxygen? We own all of that. If you don't vote, don't moan." No; if I see a policy that's based on something other than mindless, cynical opportunism, I'll give it a chance. If I don't vote, it's their fault, not mine, and I reserve the right to call them all "****s" at every possible turn.

(Although - I did actually vote, last time. Against every Labour Club hack, who stand as a slate and control everything, everyone to the right of them having decamped to the Oxford Union several decades back.)

Next year, I seriously reckon I might run for President. It'll be on a platform of "fairness". Oh, and "tolerance"...

ReputationRep:
    im indifferent towards the whole thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toddlers crossword)
    sounds like a plan. I saw one candidate coming round our cafe bar talking at people who were trying to quietly enjoy a lunchtime pint or sandwich....what a ****
    in stead of being able to vote for people, you should just be able to vote against the one who annoys you most. im sure more people would bother voting then (big brother style 'vote for who you want ''evicted'' via text' might be quite fun)
    The look on her face was just PRICELESS. It just goes to show how ineffectual they are; if they can't stand up to even the tiniest amount of question they're likely to fall at the first hurdle. It's ridiculous, just like the Crufts, with people. RON all the way, just so I can see them all run about like headless chickens again!

Raz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toddlers crossword)
    I didnt even get offered lollipops
    I had a bag of gelatin filled 'treats' thrust into my face, they were most insistant despite my yelps of 'I...can't...eat...those'. A lot of the 'campaigners' on my campus are offering chocolate fingers, I suspect there's an offer on them somewhere. That, or they're on the wrong side of their best before date.:eek:

Raz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpideyMonkey)
    they all have the same policies - no BNP on campus (as if there were there in the first place),
    What sort of leftie dictatorial Trot uni do you go to?

I doubt any unis have actual BNP groups, but I thought all that anti-BNP stuff was just NUS being a bunch of ********s. I've certainly never heard anything about the BNP at any of the unis I've been to.

ReputationRep:
    We weren't really hassled by ours. Had a few invitations to facebook groups promoting the candidates, and lots of flyers. But no-one actually came up to me and badgered me..

I did actually vote.

ReputationRep:
    How are these funded?

I went to the post-offer open day at Exeter and they wouldn't stop pushing stuff in my face even though I don't go there yet.

Seems like they spent a load of money making banners etc.. waste of money, they should just have formal debates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eDDeboo)
    they should just have formal debates.
    Do they not? I thought every SU election would have Hustings..

It annoys me how things are so opaque in university and student government. I consider myself reasonably bright, yet I have as yet still not managed to discern what the difference is between the Students' Union, the Students' Association, the Students' Representative Council, the various committees relating to students on the University Court and Senatus, etc. It's all very bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Do they not? I thought every SU election would have Hustings..

It annoys me how things are so opaque in university and student government. I consider myself reasonably bright, yet I have as yet still not managed to discern what the difference is between the Students' Union, the Students' Association, the Students' Representative Council, the various committees relating to students on the University Court and Senatus, etc. It's all very bizarre.
    That does sound confusing. Durham just has an SU, and each college has its own JCR/SRC. There is a DUS (Durham Union Society - what a bloody stupid name), but that's just a poncy debating society.

ReputationRep:
    Haha yes, our union elections were a few weeks ago.
    I got goodness knows how many flyers and stickers and things.
    I mean good on them for getting involved, but it was rather annoying haha.

ReputationRep:
    I remember the elections taking place in Commonwalth Hall when I was at Goldsmiths University and there was one candidate who had a stupid flyer listing her personal achievements. One of my room mates said he'd vote for her just for her achievements but she stated **** all on what she could do for the Hall itself. I don't give two ***** what your CV is, what can you do for me? Don't think I voted because I was leaving regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jose)
    York's just elected 'Mad Cap'n Tom Scott' as SU President. Looks like a pirate, talks like a pirate, key policies include cutlasses for all and pointing a cannon at the Vice Chancellors office.
    I think there was a record turnout.
    More people voted in York's recent elections than in any other University election ever, anywhere in the country.

The important thing is that Tom is more than just a pirate suit though - he's actually an intelligent and pragmatic guy.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. He seemed to recognise the reality of it more than anyone else - it doesn't really matter much, hardly anything will change, the Vice Chancellor holds the purse strings, the big promises are not implementable so just try to do the small stuff well.

Plus, i hope it pissed off all the CV brigade.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    We've had problems with ours, there have been "discrepencies".

Bleh.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    We've had problems with ours, there have been "discrepencies".

Bleh.
    :rofl: There were last year as well

Did you vote?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by <CJ>)
    :rofl: There were last year as well

Did you vote?
    Nope. I kind of lost track of dates. And the insane amount of flyers for the Vice Presidents was annoying me.

I got like three for each candidate for VP Communications, VP AA, and all sorts.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Same, after being bombarded last year I thought better of it. I don't know the people well enough and I reckon i'd only vote if one of the people I knew...

ReputationRep:
    There are occasionally candidates who actually give half a toss about the issues. But the vast majority are complete tools.

On guy at the last election promised to "cut the cost of snakebite" at the union, his posters included the average loud-mouth sweaty tanned rah I tend to avoid like the plague. What a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Do they not? I thought every SU election would have Hustings...
    Ours had hustings, even broadcast on the student radio.
    There are occasionally candidates who actually give half a toss about the issues. But the vast majority are complete tools.

On guy at the last election promised to "cut the cost of snakebite" at the union, his posters included the average loud-mouth sweaty tanned rah I tend to avoid like the plague. What a joke.
    All ours actually gave a damn, and some didn't write good manifestos. But a couple were really good, that's why I voted for them! And the chap who was up for President (and has now won) actually said "As someone who has experiences of the Students’ Union management at first hand, I can state that anyone claiming to be able to cut drinks prices is lying."

ReputationRep:
    Why's that? Presumably it's not that difficult, with control over the Union, to cut the drinks prices?

At least it's a real policy, unlike 'openness', 'transparency' and '******* off the NUS'. I tend to believe a year in a minor student government position tends to turn people into useless, ambition-free hacks.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.