The Student Room Group

Confused.... thinking of changing course now

Hi,

So I’ve just been in this dilemma recently where I’ve just finished studying first year of computer science at university. During the first year I’ve found it boring and some what difficult. I managed to scrape by in some modules with 40/50 % and still having to redo one module in july. For a quite a while I’ve been thinking that I’ll change university’s and course to something related to Accounting/business which I am interested in. But I’ve been in a dilemma because If i do change courses I would’ve waisted one year and one year of student finance as well (9,250). Also in the computing field there seems to be more job prospects and greater salary than in the accounting and business field.
I know it may seem stupid but I thought I’d get some of your inputs regarding this situation.
Thank you
Although it will give you more debt, you can still get funding for a further 3 years. Realistically, you'll probably never pay everything back either way, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

There are plenty of job prospects in either field, and you don't want to spend the rest of your life doing something you find boring!

However, if you're looking to start again from first year, obviously now's not the best time to be applying. You could look for something in clearing, but that might not be exactly what you want.

Why not take a year out (with a deferral on your current course if possible) and try to get some work experience in both fields. If you can see what you are aiming for, then this will probably help you decide. If you take a year out, you can also fully research alternative courses and find the right one for you. There are still non-degree routes into accounting so you could research these too.

Quick Reply

Latest