Edexcel English Language Paper tomorrow, which one is it and what to remember?

Watch
username3880774
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
As the title states.

I do not know which one the tomorrow one is. What should I remember before going in? Like PEED, PECS etc.?
b_xv12
Badges: 6
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
19th century extract with 4 qu's:
1. Identify a word/phrase
2. Give 2 ways the writer...
3. How does the writer use language and structure to... (make sure you talk about both language AND structure)
4. Evaluation qu (how successfully the writer does something; leave enough time to talk about the whole text chronologically)
+
Creative Writing
username3880774
Rep:
(Original post by b_xv12)
19th century extract with 4 qu's:
1. Identify a word/phrase
2. Give 2 ways the writer...
3. How does the writer use language and structure to... (make sure you talk about both language AND structure)
4. Evaluation qu (how successfully the writer does something; leave enough time to talk about the whole text chronologically)
+
Creative Writing
1. Just quote
2. PEED?
3. PEED with 2 language paragraphs and 2 structure paragraphs
4. PEED + PECS?

Could you explain what we got to do in each one please? Anything I need to remember like verbs, nouns etc.?
ohdearstudying
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Not sure about the structure of Edexcel, as I do AQA.

But if there's any creative writing, don't go over the top with vocabulary. Think of key phrases that you can use, one of mine is "Sun-dappled shade" that I like to use. Also some words you would like to incorporate, so last year I did "tremulous".

Don't be a try-hard, make it unique and most importantly succinct and not drag on.
b_xv12
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hypofato)
1. Just quote
2. PEED?
3. PEED with 2 language paragraphs and 2 structure paragraphs
4. PEED + PECS?

Could you explain what we got to do in each one please? Anything I need to remember like verbs, nouns etc.?
qu 2: just pick out two example of what the qu asks you to find, no need for PEED
qu 3: can use PEED if you want, focus on 2 techniques for structure e.g. repetition and 2 examples for language (zoom in on key words), link your points on l&s together
qu 4: don't use PEE paragraphs because you'll just fall into the trap of analysing the text when you need to evaluate it like the qu says, refer to the writer's techniques + explain how each of your points you make does what the qu asks whether it does

hope that helps and it's not too confusing
username3880774
Rep:
(Original post by b_xv12)
qu 2: just pick out two example of what the qu asks you to find, no need for PEED
qu 3: can use PEED if you want, focus on 2 techniques for structure e.g. repetition and 2 examples for language (zoom in on key words), link your points on l&s together
qu 4: don't use PEE paragraphs because you'll just fall into the trap of analysing the text when you need to evaluate it like the qu says, refer to the writer's techniques + explain how each of your points you make does what the qu asks whether it does

hope that helps and it's not too confusing
Could you give me an example of what not to do and what to do for Question 4? I don't understand this part.
b_xv12
Report 3 years ago
So what you don't want to do is just state the obvious (analysis) e.g. 'The first sentence builds the suspense.' because it doesn't really evaluate the text rather what you want to do is explain how the writer builds this suspense e.g. 'In this extract, there is an attempt to build suspense which is created by the narrator hiding a secret.' Then you would explain what the how successfully the writer does so and maybe explain the effect on the reader e.g. is the reader supposed to feel worried, scared? etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (28)
9.62%
Okay (86)
29.55%
A bit lacking (105)
36.08%
Not good at all (72)
24.74%

Watched Threads