The Student Room Group

Just finished 1st year, don't have the A levels, considering going into vet med

Hi!
So I'm in a bit of a rut at the moment with what I want to do with my life and how to move forward. I just completed the first year of a bsc psychology degree at KCL. However, I don't know how happy I am with my choice and how much I want to continue on this course. As interesting as it is, I don't know if it's for me.

Veterinary science has always drawn me. I'm considering going into it. The problem is, I'm one year into my psych degree, and I don't have the relevant A levels. I got A*A*A in psychology, R.E, and art.

Are there any access courses? Or will I have to drop out and take a year out to redo A levels and then reapply for university? The time taken to get where I want to be doesn't necessarily worry me, but I am worried about the money, especially the money wasted on my one year in London studying psych. Is there even a good chance I'd get into vet med?

Thank you!
Before you make any choices my advice would be to do some veterinary work experience asap as it really isn't for everyone. You'll need to do it anyway before you can apply but unless you definitely know that you want to drop out of your current degree whatever then I would be doing some experience in a vet practice and on a farm at the very least before you need to decide.

Original post by aleksceramics
Hi!
So I'm in a bit of a rut at the moment with what I want to do with my life and how to move forward. I just completed the first year of a bsc psychology degree at KCL. However, I don't know how happy I am with my choice and how much I want to continue on this course. As interesting as it is, I don't know if it's for me.

Veterinary science has always drawn me. I'm considering going into it. The problem is, I'm one year into my psych degree, and I don't have the relevant A levels. I got A*A*A in psychology, R.E, and art.

Are there any access courses? Or will I have to drop out and take a year out to redo A levels and then reapply for university? The time taken to get where I want to be doesn't necessarily worry me, but I am worried about the money, especially the money wasted on my one year in London studying psych. Is there even a good chance I'd get into vet med?

Thank you!
Reply 2
Nottingham's preliminary vet course may be an option for you as it is for students with high academic achievements but not in science subjects. But as the above poster has said, get some work experience and do research into the profession before dropping out of your degree.
Ditto with the work experience. Try and book it now too, as vet practices are always getting requests to take on students (from secondary schools, from secondary students themselves and even from the vet schools). Vet practice is very much different to what you may think.

Some vet schools (Notts and RVC for sure) do run preliminary/gateway years before the actual vet course, which may suit you. I'm unsure of their individual requirements for those though. I think they prefer you to finish your current course, from what I can remember? And the postgraduate route is incredibly expensive.
Hi!I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Having taken a year out, done 1 year of an Accounting degree (realised it wasn't for me), then doing a year of an Engineering degree, I am now realising that I desperately want to return to my dream of studying Veterinary Medicine. Your best bet is to speak to the Universities directly. I have been in contact to the ones I am considering applying to, and it is interesting gauging which universities seem to be more willing to help.I too do not hold a Biology or Chemistry A-Level; I am considering dropping out of the engineering degree now and starting A-Levels in September. Some universities do not have an issue with this, as they will look at A-Level grades and work experience alone. Surrey have been extremely helpful with this, and have even sent links to Open University modules I can do instead of embarking on Bio and Chem A-Levels. You would need to check the entry requirements for the particular University you want to go to; I know that RVC will not accept any online versions of Access Courses (the very ones Surrey directed me to). Nottingham on the other hand will not accept any student who has not completed the degree the embarked on (that's me out - I've already dropped out of one!). The monetary issue may be an issue. Student Finance England will only fund one degree, whether you complete it or not. Your best bet is to contact SFE and explain your situation. They are the only people who will be able to advise you on what support you may or may not get.With regards to getting in, if you really want to, and put your mind do it - you will! If you are willing to put in the work required for work experience and gaining the extra qualifications, there is no reason why you wouldn't be accepted (again, dependent on the university and it's admissions procedures).I've done a lot of research into this over the past few months, so if you have any questions please just ask! I will do my best to help :smile: I will hopefully be starting one-year intensive A-Level courses for Bio Chem in September, dependent on what the remainder of Universities respond with.Best of luck with everything! You can do this!
Reply 5
I am in literally the same situation! I have taken a gap year, had one year at uni and have realised that it isn’t my passion and I’ve wanted to study vet med for my whole life, so I’m considering retaking my Bio and Chem exams in alevels next year and applying to vet med but I’m terrified it won’t work out😭
Original post by Charm_98
I am in literally the same situation! I have taken a gap year, had one year at uni and have realised that it isn’t my passion and I’ve wanted to study vet med for my whole life, so I’m considering retaking my Bio and Chem exams in alevels next year and applying to vet med but I’m terrified it won’t work out😭

Contact the uni's now and get it in writing that they will accept you taking additional A level subjects outside of the standard 2 year period - some can be a bit funny about that
Reply 7
I’ve emailed most and Surrey is looking like my best option, I need to resit Biology and Chemistry A Levels and hopefully if I get two As, they’re fine with resits and also say I can use my B grade from two years ago for psychology 😊

Quick Reply

Latest