eveabdel
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In the essays do people tend to write their own opinion in evaluation? Obviously i use other scholars to evaluate but we were also taught to put in "in my opinion" and "i think" and "my thesis".
Not sure if other people have been taught this too
akpo
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Using other scholars to evaluate depending on how its structured, isn't really evaluating, and appears of as listing.
For example: If saying that X argues this.... On the other hand Y counters this arguing.... That's a list because it hasn't explained whether any argument is convincing or why.

This is how i was taught to evaluate when writing essays. (Avoid using "I" and "In my opinion" in essays)
  • The point raised by X is not entirely convincing because... (or very strong)
  • One formulation of X's argument that is unclear is.... (or clear, etc..)
  • Thus suggesting...
  • However, Y took an alternative approach, arguing convincingly that...
  • Although, this response held by Y is weak because.... this means that..
bobsm
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by akpo)
Using other scholars to evaluate depending on how its structured, isn't really evaluating, and appears of as listing.
For example: If saying that X argues this.... On the other hand Y counters this arguing.... That's a list because it hasn't explained whether any argument is convincing or why.

This is how i was taught to evaluate when writing essays. (Avoid using "I" and "In my opinion" in essays)
  • The point raised by X is not entirely convincing because... (or very strong)
  • One formulation of X's argument that is unclear is.... (or clear, etc..)
  • Thus suggesting...
  • However, Y took an alternative approach, arguing convincingly that...
  • Although, this response held by Y is weak because.... this means that..
thanks
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
You are absolutely fine to give your opinion (and thus to use the first person 'I') in a philosophy paper. It is a necessary part of doing real philosophy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (8)
24.24%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (10)
30.3%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (2)
6.06%
Speaking to staff members from universities (0)
0%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (3)
9.09%
Reading articles about what steps to take (6)
18.18%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
6.06%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
6.06%

Watched Threads