The Student Room Group

Landlord Overcharge

My landlord is charging £1,375 per calendar month, so between 3 of us, that's £458.33 (ridiculously expensive for Southampton I know).
At the start of the year he told us that he needed more time to prepare his properties so cut the fixed term to 11 months and 10 days.
For the last payment I sent £145.85 (10/31 x rent) to cover the final 10 days, however, the landlord believes we should pay the full amount.
I believe this is deeply unfair as we have to find other accommodation until July 1st (when most contracts start) and he hasn't lowered the rent from last year despite requiring more time to prepare the property for the next inhabitants.
Am I in the right or is the landlord?
If the landlord is not offering you accommodation, then he can't charge you rent. Do you have proof of this in writing? Has he given you the correct notice? I'm a bit confused about the situation, but he also can't just shorten the fixed term unilaterally after you've signed the contract.

If you have decided to move out on a particular date that is not the end of the fixed term, you should have given notice in writing a month in advance and he is correct.

Probably your best bet is to speak to shelter, or take your contract and any other communication to your university's housing department- then they can work out what has been going on.

Is your deposit registered with one of the approved schemes?
Depends what's on your contract.
If the tenancy agreement states that the tenancy period is only for 11 months and 10 days than for the last month you'd only pay rent for the 10 days not the entire month. If the tenancy agreement is for 12 months, than you pay for the 12 months, but your landlord can't force you to leave the property (exceptions aside, such as the property being declared as unfit for human habitation or going to court).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending