Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    One of my exams was 4 essays in 1 hour 15mins, AQA I think. So yeah I needed my good ol' GCSE English skills again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oceanaga)
    One of my exams was 4 essays in 1 hour 15mins, AQA I think. So yeah I needed my good ol' GCSE English skills again
    I do AQA too.

I've done 4 modules so far and 3/4 were essay based, so I definately agree.

Mod 1 - 4 essays out of 6 possible questions.
    Mod 2 - An essay on some source or other and then a creative writing task.
    Mod 3 (the exception) - short / mid length answers to science based questions, graphs and mathematical equations.
    Mod 4 - An essay, broken into three sections, looking at the issues mentioned in a source text.

So yep, essay skills are a must. As I mentioned, looking at a few (and practicing some) past papers would be a really good way to revise. It only takes a few hours - you might as well.

ReputationRep:
    Do it! I had no lessons, did absolutally no revision (there's really no point, as you don't know what is going to be on the papers), and managed to get an A in the January exam session, which my insurance uni accept! So much pressure lifted, from what i thought would be a waste of time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shuky)
    oh. but how comes b'ham do not accept it
    they must just like to be different. I mean some uni's still don't take it but it's taken ALOT more places than GS. Warwick take it, and for me, thats a good sign!

ReputationRep:
    It's always worth trying your best in the General Studies exams, but I don't think revising makes any difference whatsoever. Looking at a few past papers may help, so then you're not completely taken by surprise, but other than that... it's quite an inconsistent subject and it's hard to determine how well you're going to do/how well you've done in each module. :p:
    I know of some people who got As in Maths/Science in their January modular results, but got Ds in the Maths, Science and Technology paper for General Studies... a bit bizarre!

ReputationRep:
    I got an E in AS General Studies. Lmao.

I was quite worried as I haven't taken it to A2. I was concerned as I though at an AS at grade E would look a bit worrying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clefeen206)
    I got an E in AS General Studies. Lmao.

I was quite worried as I haven't taken it to A2. I was concerned as I though at an AS at grade E would look a bit worrying.
    i got an E in one of the units and two C's in the others, mainly because i had no clue what the paper would be like, i retook the E in Jan and got an A with a B overall now. I am probably gonna take it on to A2, cause now i know to make sure to look at the style of the paper its a little easier lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    I do AQA too.

I've done 4 modules so far and 3/4 were essay based, so I definately agree.

Mod 1 - 4 essays out of 6 possible questions.
    Mod 2 - An essay on some source or other and then a creative writing task.
    Mod 3 (the exception) - short / mid length answers to science based questions, graphs and mathematical equations.
    Mod 4 - An essay, broken into three sections, looking at the issues mentioned in a source text.

So yep, essay skills are a must. As I mentioned, looking at a few (and practicing some) past papers would be a really good way to revise. It only takes a few hours - you might as well.

Sounds a bit like mine - are you on specificaton B as well?

Unit1 (conflict): the 4 out of 6 essay questions in an hour
    Unit2 (power): Essay on a source then a creative writing task
    unit3 (space): science-based questions with pie charts, graphs etc

then

unit4: (conflict - resolution) longer question broken into 3 parts, evaluative
    unit5: (power - regulation) 4 essays, all compulsory
    unit6: (space - time) synoptic unit with 1 compulsory essay then choice of 2

are you A2 now? was your unit 2 paper like a sort of schizophrenic one where you had to script an argument with yourself, pretending to be one of 2 people (one of whom was the daughter of a man who had written a book on healthy lifestyles)?

Was your unit 4 paper on a bunch of eco-warriors in a demonstration against Bellway homes' plans to build on an old site?

I fear that ninaabbey has been lied to :p: No questions on how many keys on a keyboard!

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh well. Suppose I shouldn't be too bothered about only having it at AS.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think it's pretty pointless... everyone at my school is entered for it at AS-Level, yet we have no actual lessons for it, and no decent universities accept it as a subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greatleysteg)
    Sounds a bit like mine - are you on specificaton B as well?

Unit1 (conflict): the 4 out of 6 essay questions in an hour
    Unit2 (power): Essay on a source then a creative writing task
    unit3 (space): science-based questions with pie charts, graphs etc

then

unit4: (conflict - resolution) longer question broken into 3 parts, evaluative
    unit5: (power - regulation) 4 essays, all compulsory
    unit6: (space - time) synoptic unit with 1 compulsory essay then choice of 2

are you A2 now? was your unit 2 paper like a sort of schizophrenic one where you had to script an argument with yourself, pretending to be one of 2 people (one of whom was the daughter of a man who had written a book on healthy lifestyles)?

Was your unit 4 paper on a bunch of eco-warriors in a demonstration against Bellway homes' plans to build on an old site?

I fear that ninaabbey has been lied to :p: No questions on how many keys on a keyboard!
    Yep, that's my course lol. I've only looked at one Unit 5 paper so far, and haven't looked at Unit 6 yet.

A ton of people got in trouble at my college in January when a teacher overheard people talking about the little 'games' they played on the paper. Lol. For example, they got as many band names as possible into their answers lol. Needless to say, there was quite a few Us!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    I think it's pretty pointless... everyone at my school is entered for it at AS-Level, yet we have no actual lessons for it, and no decent universities accept it as a subject.
    controversial

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion. General Studies is the biggest waste of time and teaching. I think this for several reasons:
    1. The exam is like a english exam with a bit of your own opinion on life chucked in. I mean in my jan08 exam I got asked what I thought a "christmas experience" was.. Who the hell cares???
    2. Anyone can pass it, so its not worth stressing over revising. My friend for a question "explain what you think browsing means" drew a stick person holding a shopping bag and saying "I like shopping" and she got an A... Seriously.
    3. Universities disregard it, or at least mine does
    4. They say its all about your opinion, but whenever I gave an opinion everybody in the class would yell at me. I didn't like it.

And thats also why I dropped the sodding class! lol
    So in answer to your question.
    No, theres no point revising.
    And the only way you could get a U is if your honest to god write nothing on that exam paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emikoo)
    In my opinion. General Studies is the biggest waste of time and teaching. I think this for several reasons:
    1. The exam is like a english exam with a bit of your own opinion on life chucked in. I mean in my jan08 exam I got asked what I thought a "christmas experience" was.. Who the hell cares???
    2. Anyone can pass it, so its not worth stressing over revising. My friend for a question "explain what you think browsing means" drew a stick person holding a shopping bag and saying "I like shopping" and she got an A... Seriously.
    3. Universities disregard it, or at least mine does
    4. They say its all about your opinion, but whenever I gave an opinion everybody in the class would yell at me. I didn't like it.

And thats also why I dropped the sodding class! lol
    So in answer to your question.
    No, theres no point revising.
    And the only way you could get a U is if your honest to god write nothing on that exam paper.
    Which exam board were you with? That sounds a lot less involved than AQA.

And, I disagree with the whole 'U' comment as I know quite a few people who managed to get U/E grades and attempted to answer the question. And, before you say they must be stupid, they're not. For example, one has been accepted by Cambridge this year (a year early as he is only 16 - 17 this year). He got AAAAU - and he made the effort. Just shows that a couple of hours (literally) for each exam to get used to the style of question and answer required is definately useful... There is no point taking it when you can't be bothered to do the basics.

Of course, that's just my opinion from the experiences of myself and my friends, so take it or leave it. =D

ReputationRep:
    you lot had lessons in it? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SouthernFreerider)
    you lot had lessons in it? lol
    Personally, we didn't for AS. We were given a booklet containing past papers, mark schemes and model answers about a month before each exam. At A2, we have one lesson per week. What we actually do depends on the teacher. With mine, we mostly watch documentaries on current affairs and have discussions. In other groups though they do lots of time exam practice and the like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    Personally, we didn't for AS. We were given a booklet containing past papers, mark schemes and model answers about a month before each exam. At A2, we have one lesson per week. What we actually do depends on the teacher. With mine, we mostly watch documentaries on current affairs and have discussions. In other groups though they do lots of time exam practice and the like.
    didnt realise people actually prepared for general studies lol.

ReputationRep:
    Certainly don't bother revising
    I just turned up for the exams and got 300/300 in AS General Studies. im not even joking.
    It was on neighbours and luckily enough I watch that every day

ReputationRep:
    I had to do it for AS and it is a joke of a subject. I got an 280/300 on it simply because Im interested in current issues and my AS's were very balanced (history, maths, chem, german) so there wasnt one question i had a problem answering.

ReputationRep:
    I did it, went to no lessons and did no revision, pretty much half arsed the exams and got a C overall with A's in two of the modules. I didn't see the point in it but I just took it as a bit of a back up I guess because a couple of the uni's I applied to accepted it

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.