The Student Room Group

What person and tense do you recommend for your Creative Writing (GCSE)

I don’t know which ones I should use? Which one should I choose?
Reply 1
I would prefer present tense
I got full marks for my creative writing last year (the 9-1) and I wrote about a character fairly similar to myself, however I came up with a more interesting backstory to come up with an altered personality. I’m not sure when the exam is, but if you have time, come up with a character who you understand, e.g. if they have a fear of feeling trapped, and how you could show that in a different context, for example if that is their fear, they may not have gone to Uni, as they would feel ‘trapped’ in a single subject. I wrote in the past tense, in the third person, as it allows the adjectives you use to sound less subjective (less opinionated) and more realistic, even if you use wacky descriptions. The person reading can visualise the scene as themselves which is a little easier to understand. Hope that helps, and good luck 😄
I’d say first person and past tense if you’re worried about it. It’s hard for lots of people to be consistent in present tense because it’s so easy to switch back without realising it
These have all helped! Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest