The Student Room Group

PGDE - Scotland 2019 entry

Anyone else applying for PGDE this year? I’m hoping to do primary

Scroll to see replies

Yes I’m applying this year but don’t know if I will even get considered as alsodping my Higher English and maths this year so,,,??
Hi! I'm also applying for the PGDE this year, I have registered on UCAS and I'm trying to put my application together now. Which universities are you guys applying too?
Reply 3
Original post by Jules2207
Yes I’m applying this year but don’t know if I will even get considered as alsodping my Higher English and maths this year so,,,??
you can only try, good luck x
Reply 4
Original post by BeccaMary2605
Hi! I'm also applying for the PGDE this year, I have registered on UCAS and I'm trying to put my application together now. Which universities are you guys applying too?

Uws, Strathclyde and Glasgow. I’m not applying till around November/December to let myself get some experience in.
Original post by Lisa30
Uws, Strathclyde and Glasgow. I’m not applying till around November/December to let myself get some experience in.

that's cool! I'm applying to Glasgow and Strathclyde too. I was looking at UWS but I'm torn between there and Edinburgh.
Reply 6
Original post by BeccaMary2605
that's cool! I'm applying to Glasgow and Strathclyde too. I was looking at UWS but I'm torn between there and Edinburgh.

I need to stay local because of my children’s childcare.
I'm also thinking of applying this year - to teach Secondary English - I haven't got any experience yet, though, so I need to get in touch with my local secondary school as soon as term starts again and try to organise doing a day or a half day per week; then I'll apply in December. Hopefully that will be enough. I'll only be applying to Edinburgh because I live here with my two young kids.
Reply 8
Hello, I'm sort of thinking about teaching in the future so am watching this thread to pick up tips! Could a mod or someone make this a sticky thread so it's easier to find? kinda gets lost in all the threads about English pgce's. TIA :smile:

Hey. I'm applying for secondary teaching with history but when I tried to add Edinburgh as a choice on ucas it said they're closed for 2019 entry. Does anyone know why this is?
Original post by highashope
Hey. I'm applying for secondary teaching with history but when I tried to add Edinburgh as a choice on ucas it said they're closed for 2019 entry. Does anyone know why this is?

Hi! I had the same thing happen to me when I was looking at the modern language PGDE at Strathclyde for 2019 and it also said applications were closed. I emailed the uni and apparently applications for most Scottish unis for PGDEs only open at the start of September! Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Melanie2147
Hi! I had the same thing happen to me when I was looking at the modern language PGDE at Strathclyde for 2019 and it also said applications were closed. I emailed the uni and apparently applications for most Scottish unis for PGDEs only open at the start of September! Hope this helps :smile:

Oh that makes sense, thanks so much!:smile:
I'm glad I'm not the only one starting this early! I'm applying for PGDE in Chemistry.
Hey, also applying for PGDE however I'm English with no Scottish secondary experience at the moment. I've been offered some work experience at a Scottish secondary but because I'm at uni I won't be able to do it until maybe as late as Easter. I'm doing a teaching module at uni with secondary school experience included as a part of that but it doesn't start until second term! I've done tonnes of mentoring and I was a music tutor but I'm not sure if this will be enough experience? Would I just be rejected immediately or do you reckon they'd still consider? :smile: :smile:
Hi everyone, I’ve applied for PGDE for 2019 as well. Feels weird going back to the applying for uni thing again! Especially independently as well.

I’ve applied for Aberdeen secondary drama & Primary, Strathclyde Primary course & English & Education course and Edinbugh for secondary drama.

Hoping to become a drama teacher :u:
Reply 15
Hi!!
I'm also planning on applying for the PGDE programme but trying to get as much experience in as possible first. I have experience working in kids summer camps but I'm only just starting in a classroom setting. How many days experience do you reckon is the limit to which the unis would consider you? Oh and I'm applying for primary :biggrin: :biggrin:
Hello. I will be applying for a place on a PGDE primary course. My ultimate goal is to be a SEN teacher but I feel that a primary pgde is the best foundation to achieve this. I have been working as a PSA at a special needs school for a year. I still need to write my personal statement but I’m feeling nervous about not having mainstream primary experience. I wish there was a course for special education teachers.
Original post by Naomirl
Hi!!
I'm also planning on applying for the PGDE programme but trying to get as much experience in as possible first. I have experience working in kids summer camps but I'm only just starting in a classroom setting. How many days experience do you reckon is the limit to which the unis would consider you? Oh and I'm applying for primary :biggrin: :biggrin:

One day per week until the interview would be good if you can find somewhere where you can do this - remember special education needs schools and riding for the disabled etc also are useful experiences as there will be varying needs in one classroom.
Reply 18
Original post by Cluck1519
One day per week until the interview would be good if you can find somewhere where you can do this - remember special education needs schools and riding for the disabled etc also are useful experiences as there will be varying needs in one classroom.

Thanks for your response :smile: I'm actually starting one day a week next week but was worried that wouldn't be enough! Most of my experience is with special needs so it's really just the main stream classroom experience I'm worried about.
Original post by Naomirl
Thanks for your response :smile: I'm actually starting one day a week next week but was worried that wouldn't be enough! Most of my experience is with special needs so it's really just the main stream classroom experience I'm worried about.

Good luck. Hope you find some good experience local to you. After school kids clubs are also worth applying to for experience with children. Gathering several examples of where you have gained experience shows commitment to this career choice when you are asked at interview. Best wishes for the future.

Quick Reply

Latest