What should I know before taking A Level Biology?

Watch
Peter_Pan_14
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I’ve been thinking about taking A Level Biology for one of my A Levels. I’ve looked through peoples experiences with the subject so I know that it involves a lot of content. I was just wondering if there was anything else that I should know about the subject as Im worried that I may not be able to understand some parts of the course due to me sitting combined science at GCSE. Is there anything I should know before I start the subject? Any help would be appreciated.

randomsheep11
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Hi I'm doing EDEXCEL and am in Year 12. Firstky, most exam boards do a Biochemistry topic early on so if you aren't that good at Chemistry, don't be discouraged as the whole course isn't like that. Secondly, try to get Snap Revise as (well for my eam board) there's not too many resources that are massivey helpful. Finally, binge watch all the videos from the channel "The Amoeba Sisters" over the summer holidays, they make lots of very cute and interesting biology videos which are mainly close to the same level of detail as A Level Biology (but it's less in depth).
username3671370
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
The only thing u need to know is that you're about to make a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG mistake
Samosa and Vada
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Before starting A-Level Biology it would be a good idea to:

Familiarise yourself with the basic structure of a cell - animal, plant and perhaps bacteria.
Lock and key theory for enzyme is a key idea at AS. You need to APPLY on some very awkward question that you may not think requires this knowledge initallly.
Basic knowledge about the heart structure and circulatory system.
Diffusion and Osmosis are key ideas, especially at AS. Definition is KEY and the ability to APPLY.
Familiarising yourself with the respiratory system perhaps to a very basic level such as naming larynx, bronchus, bronchioles, lungs and alveoli.
Structure of DNA
Mitosis and Meiosis.
ChemChad
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by guava juice)
the only thing u need to know is that you're about to make a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig mistake
reaallll sh*t
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (28)
9.62%
Okay (86)
29.55%
A bit lacking (105)
36.08%
Not good at all (72)
24.74%

Watched Threads