Nagging doubts about 6th form

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have been having these doubts now and they have been crippling. I want to go to 6th form at my current school and to do so you need 5 grade 5's. In a humble way and not boastful I am pretty sure I can smash this and get 7's 6's.

BUT everything is good apart from my English I would be lucky to get a 3 I am dreadful at it.

Will I be able to get into 6th form without doing that well in English but well in everything else? it has been worrying me now for ages.
Pearlfection1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You will probably have to resit English. Passing English is vital for getting into university.
Mckailer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It really depends on what subjects you want to study, as for some subjects, like arts you are allowed to retake your English if you fail, but for subjects such as science, you'll need at least a 4 or probably higher to do it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Mckailer)
It really depends on what subjects you want to study, as for some subjects, like arts you are allowed to retake your English if you fail, but for subjects such as science, you'll need at least a 4 or probably higher to do it.
I want to do biology science and Theology

For history it says a grade 6 in history or english but I know that I will probably get a 7 or 8 in history just not English
Biology doesn't require it
And Theology you need a 6 in RE or english and I know I can get a 7 in RE just not english
Mckailer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I want to do biology science and Theology

For history it says a grade 6 in history or english but I know that I will probably get a 7 or 8 in history just not English
Biology doesn't require it
And Theology you need a 6 in RE or english and I know I can get a 7 in RE just not english
Well, I'm pretty certain that you won't be able to take Biology or Theology without AT LEAST a 4 in English, as it is a major skill for both topics above (E.g. writing essays and answering long questions).

I think the best thing for you to do is concentrate solely on English, as you seem to have decent predicted grades for your other subjects.

Just out of curiosity when are your English exams?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mckailer)
well, i'm pretty certain that you won't be able to take biology or theology without at least a 4 in english, as it is a major skill for both topics above (e.g. Writing essays and answering long questions).

I think the best thing for you to do is concentrate solely on english, as you seem to have decent predicted grades for your other subjects.

Just out of curiosity when are your english exams?
f*cking tomorrow
Anonymous #1
Well, I'm pretty certain that you won't be able to take Biology or Theology without AT LEAST a 4 in English, as it is a major skill for both topics above (E.g. writing essays and answering long questions).

I think the best thing for you to do is concentrate solely on English, as you seem to have decent predicted grades for your other subjects.

Just out of curiosity when are your English exams?
The annoying thing is though my essay writing skills are actually good. For my coursework, it was an essay and I was the only person to get 40/40 in my year group. And in history, my teacher gives us practice essays to do and I normally get around 19/20. It's just with English I fail to understand the importance of writing methods and why they are relevant and also fail at being able to analyse texts.

s
Mckailer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
f*cking tomorrow
Wow, that's unfortunate.

If its component 1. I would suggest you spend a few hours coming up with a Great story at a grade 7 or 6 and memorise it off by heart and when you get into the room, the first thing you should do is do the creative writing section.

If it is component 2. I would watch this guys channel, literally what got me through the exam.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEp...Dzg8jSe12tGnCg
And watch his video on reports, newspaper articles, reviews...

I really do hope it goes well for you. Goodluck
Mckailer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The annoying thing is though my essay writing skills are actually good. For my coursework, it was an essay and I was the only person to get 40/40 in my year group. And in history, my teacher gives us practice essays to do and I normally get around 19/20. It's just with English I fail to understand the importance of writing methods and why they are relevant and also fail at being able to analyse texts.

s
If your good on essays then you should do well in creative writing. Just aim to do great in those sections and you can bomb the PEE questions and get a 4 or 5.
I got a 7 in English for coming up with an A* story and being able to write a decent letter, but I was absolutely dreadful on the analysing questions.
Anonymous #1
Wow, that's unfortunate.

If its component 1. I would suggest you spend a few hours coming up with a Great story at a grade 7 or 6 and memorise it off by heart and when you get into the room, the first thing you should do is do the creative writing section.

If it is component 2. I would watch this guys channel, literally what got me through the exam.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEp...Dzg8jSe12tGnCg
And watch his video on reports, newspaper articles, reviews...

I really do hope it goes well for you. Goodluck

Thanks, in the matter of a few minutes you have actually supported me more than my English teacher has all year today she asked how I am feeling about the exam and I went worried like everyone else because we wasted a year doing nothing and her response was just "oh ok at least I won't you again"
Mckailer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks, in the matter of a few minutes you have actually supported me more than my English teacher has all year today she asked how I am feeling about the exam and I went worried like everyone else because we wasted a year doing nothing and her response was just "oh ok at least I won't you again"

Your more than welcome, since this is my second time doing GCSE's I'm trying to shed as much insight as I can, just remember to breathe when you get into that exam hall, and look at the questions like your writing an essay, write down your opinions and observations and explain them. But most important don't use cliches in stories or write a boring article try and write something the examiner will actually enjoy and be interested in. And most important never let your teachers get you down because you can always improve.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed