Ilikerevising
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
- Describe how the effectiveness of exchange surfaces are increased.
- Use ideas about surface area to volume ratio to describe why
multicellular organisms need exchange surfaces
- Link ideas about diffusion to explain how the adaptations of exchange
surfaces increase their effectiveness.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I see you are still awake - let me try and help you with this Q!

Watch this space - give me 10-15 min

M
macpatgh-Sheldon
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

As living things get bigger [as they have done with evolution], their bodies have many more and more cells and tissues that are far from the outside environment - in single-celled [= unicellular] organisms like bacteria or amoeba, the ratio of surface area for exchange of food and waste, oxygen, etc to volume is high. This is not so in higher organisms, so they have evolved specialized structures for exchange of materials with the outside.

Diffusion is quicker when there is a large difference in concentration of substance as diffusion is the movement of a substance from high to low concentration areas. In lungs, breathing produces a high conc-n of oxygen [in the alveoli] so this gas diffuses into the blood in the capillaries where O2 conc-n is low.

Also diffusion is quicker when the distance the substance has to travel is very small - in lungs O2 only has to cross a single layer of cells of the alveolar wall and a single layer of the capillary wall, both of which are v thin.

Large surface area helps and is very important in nature - examples:-

In intestine: villi and microvilli to absorb digested food.
In blood: millions of tiny doughnut-shaped red cells to carry O2.
In roots of flowering plants, thousands of thin long root hairs to absorb water and minerals
In plants, thousands of flat leaves to absorb sunlight and to exchange gases
In gills of fish, lamellae and gill plates to absorb O2.

etc etc

I hope this helps! Do you have an exam t-rrow? - best of luck!

M
Ilikerevising
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by macpatelgh)

As living things get bigger [as they have done with evolution], their bodies have many more and more cells and tissues that are far from the outside environment - in single-celled [= unicellular] organisms like bacteria or amoeba, the ratio of surface area for exchange of food and waste, oxygen, etc to volume is high. This is not so in higher organisms, so they have evolved specialized structures for exchange of materials with the outside.

Diffusion is quicker when there is a large difference in concentration of substance as diffusion is the movement of a substance from high to low concentration areas. In lungs, breathing produces a high conc-n of oxygen [in the alveoli] so this gas diffuses into the blood in the capillaries where O2 conc-n is low.

Also diffusion is quicker when the distance the substance has to travel is very small - in lungs O2 only has to cross a single layer of cells of the alveolar wall and a single layer of the capillary wall, both of which are v thin.

In roots of flowering plants, thousands of thin long root hairs to absorb water and minerals

etc etc

I hope this helps! Do you have an exam t-rrow? - best of luck!

M

thank you so much

but could you seperate them so i know which goes with which cos i dont know when ur paragraphs finish... ty
macpatgh-Sheldon
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

X --------------------------------------------------- O ------------------------------------------------- X

Use ideas about surface area to volume ratio to describe why

As living things get bigger [as they have done with evolution], their bodies have many more and more cells and tissues that are far from the outside environment - in single-celled [= unicellular] organisms like bacteria or amoeba, the ratio of surface area for exchange of food and waste, oxygen, etc to volume is high. This is not so in higher organisms, so they have evolved specialized structures for exchange of materials with the outside. SO DIFFUSION ALONE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH NOW [in higher organisms] AS CELLS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ORGANISM ARE TOO FAR FROM OUTSIDE.

X ---------------------------------------------------- O ---------------------------------------------------- X

Link ideas about diffusion to explain how the adaptations of exchange

( NB: there is some overlap between 1st part and 3rd part)
macpatgh-Sheldon
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ilikerevising)
thank you so much

but could you seperate them so i know which goes with which cos i dont know when ur paragraphs finish... ty
Ilikerevising

Done for you - see above!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (11)
6.63%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (12)
7.23%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (38)
22.89%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (19)
11.45%
No, nothing has changed (58)
34.94%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (28)
16.87%

Watched Threads