The Student Room Group

How are A Levels graded?

I'm a little confused about the whole AS and A2 thing.

Is it: You learn stuff in your AS year and take the AS exam. Then you learn different stuff in your A2 year and take your A2 exam. No AS stuff is in A2 and vise versa.

Or: You learn stuff in your AS year and take the AS exam. Then you learn more stuff in your A2 year, and your A2 exam has stuff from both your AS and A2 year.

Hoping it's the first one but that seems too good to be true. :tongue:
Reply 1
It's the second one, though a lot of schools are no longer doing AS exams so you're more likely to do mocks in year 12 and then just sit the A2 exams in year 13.
Reply 2
Original post by T.J.A
It's the second one, though a lot of schools are no longer doing AS exams so you're more likely to do mocks in year 12 and then just sit the A2 exams in year 13.

Oh, so the AS exams are pointless but AS knowledge/topics etc are important. Thanks
Second one. If you do the official AS exams, you'll get a certificate of your qualification. If you're just doing mocks, there will be no official recognition of your AS efforts.
Reply 4
for my school and alot of my friends if you don't get a D or above you get kicked out and cannot continue to A2( second year). Also A2 is different content to 1st year.

Quick Reply

Latest