Need advice on a 1st Car Watch

IAmYourdog
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hey :3

So I'm in the market for a 1st car, I've been looking at a few cars around gumtree but a lot seem to be high mileage and everyone around me are saying they are on their last legs lol.

I'm 100% set on an automatic (so please no comments about this) , I'll be doing on average 300 miles a week (motorway miles). My budget is about 2500 (I've been looking at some at almost 3k and my family suggest that I should be able to get that price down).

I won't be going with an engine larger than 1.9 as insurance gets much more expensive and since It's my 1st car a small one is best.

I've been looking at golfs in the W. Yorkshire area and a lot of them are more than 100k miles and someone who knows more about cars than I do says that I shouldn't go for a golf unless it's less than 80k miles.
I've seen a 2008 golf with 155k miles but has only just been serviced with a new timing belt and water pump. So supposedly it won't need any major work but my main worry is the dsg gearbox going which will cost a bomb to replace.

Been looking at other cars too but really not sure what to go with, I'm drawn to the golf because of cruise control.
ml55
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
you should get one that works, i find that usually helps
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
IAmYourdog
Rep:
?
(Original post by ml55)
you should get one that works, i find that usually helps
Thanks, now I know not to buy a car with no engine.
graceeeee5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi,

Are you 100% set on a golf? I have a polo and find its a really good size: not too small but not huge for a first car either. Citroen DS3 are pretty decent in automatic too.
graceeeee5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Also will it be diesel or petrol? If petrol i wouldn't go more than 50k miles
ml55
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by IAmYourdog)
Thanks, now I know not to buy a car with no engine.
no problem
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
IAmYourdog
Rep:
?
(Original post by graceeeee5)
Hi,

Are you 100% set on a golf? I have a polo and find its a really good size: not too small but not huge for a first car either. Citroen DS3 are pretty decent in automatic too.

I'm not set on a golf.

I could really go with any make but cruise control which is common in golf's is a nice feature!

As for DS3 I am pretty limited by my budget for these as the only ones that show up within 50 miles of me are outside my budget.

As fio
IAmYourdog
Rep:
?
(Original post by graceeeee5)
Also will it be diesel or petrol? If petrol i wouldn't go more than 50k miles
Ahhh 1st time i've heard this advice, how come?

Before hearing this I wasn't really choosey as most of the petrol I saw were generally more cheaper than the diesel.

But if I were to keep the car for a few years then I'm more inclined with diesel as I'll be doing a lot of motorway driving.
IAmYourdog
Rep:
?
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
Is there a reason why you're going for an automatic?
Yes, did my test in manual and even after practising for so many hours in the car I still stalled a few times in my test. My dream car is one that drives it self :3.
RoyalSheepy
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Yes, did my test in manual and even after practising for so many hours in the car I still stalled a few times in my test. My dream car is one that drives it self :3.
Apologies, I deleted my post when I read your post again. You mentioned not to mention it :laugh:

Get yourself a Tesla then!!

Spoiler:
Show

In all seriousness, how old are you for starters and how long have you had your licence for?

Were you driving a manual petrol when you were stalling a lot? Maybe a manual diesel would be something to consider?
IAmYourdog
Rep:
?
Apologies, I deleted my post when I read your post again. You mentioned not to mention it :laugh:

Get yourself a Tesla then!!

Spoiler:
Show

In all seriousness, how old are you for starters and how long have you had your licence for?

Were you driving a manual petrol when you were stalling a lot? Maybe a manual diesel would be something to consider?
No worries.

Hate tesla their range is too small. I'm waiting for fuel cells to make their way to UK haha

As for what I was driving I can't remember. I'm 21 got my license at 18. I hate driving never got behind a wheel since my test. Automatic the way to go.
Jedders
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Consider cars like the Honda Civic, Kia Cee'd, Mazda 3...reliable automatic transmission and you won't have any electrical issues such as the windows and central locking(very common issue on Volkswagens) Ford Focus is decent as well.

Honestly if you aren't planning on keeping the car for that long, I'd get a 2005 Honda Civic for under 2k or a 2005 Toyota Corolla, as long as it was serviced well enough you don't need to worry too much about having one with a high mileage. Very reliable cars that go for a long time. You'll probably scratch up your first car so I wouldn't spend too much personally....then later on you can get a car that you really like for more money and less mileage.
IAmYourdog
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jedders)
Consider cars like the Honda Civic, Kia Cee'd, Mazda 3...reliable automatic transmission and you won't have any electrical issues such as the windows and central locking(very common issue on Volkswagens) Ford Focus is decent as well.

Honestly if you aren't planning on keeping the car for that long, I'd get a 2005 Honda Civic for under 2k or a 2005 Toyota Corolla, as long as it was serviced well enough you don't need to worry too much about having one with a high mileage. Very reliable cars that go for a long time. You'll probably scratch up your first car so I wouldn't spend too much personally....then later on you can get a car that you really like for more money and less mileage.
Your right with the scratches but the golfs near me aren't perfect bodywork. As for the cars you suggested the only automatic that is common near me is the Ford focus.

Golfs are quite common automatics near me and they're just generally on every road where I live which is why I asked about them in my OP.

The cars I'm looking to buy are 1.5~2k with full history but again they're all really high mileage. One I saw is an 08 diesel model and had just had pump and belt replaced but at 150k miles. So my worry is me getting hit with a faulty gearbox after 7 months which would cost more than I paid for the car to replace probably.

And if it's a car I enjoy driving like a golf with cruise control I wouldn't get rid of it for at least 3 years

I should also note that I don't really have weeks to wait for a specific car to show for sale hence why I'm not 100% set on a golf and would go with any other reliable automatic for a reasonable price.
Johnpolo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I would suggest to not buy Golf with DSG transmission because there are various incidents where DSG failed and they didnt cover it.
IAmYourdog
Rep:
?
(Original post by Johnpolo)
I would suggest to not buy Golf with DSG transmission because there are various incidents where DSG failed and they didnt cover it.
How is this relevant to a used car where its out of warranty anyways?

Edit: not to challenge your advice but actually just curious about your reasoning as i dont know anything about cars.
RoyalSheepy
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
No worries.

Hate tesla their range is too small. I'm waiting for fuel cells to make their way to UK haha

As for what I was driving I can't remember. I'm 21 got my license at 18. I hate driving never got behind a wheel since my test. Automatic the way to go.
Ah, so insurance won't be that bad tbf.

Diesels are very hard to stall, which is why you should maybe consider a manual diesel. I'm just not fond of older automatic cars for some reason, which is why I'd personally avoid them. Entirely up to you though.
IAmYourdog
Rep:
?
Diesels are very hard to stall
Knowing me, I'd find a way lol.

Also, it's not just about stalling it's also to do with less to think about with switching gears.
hteqw
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If the car has MOT due very soon, there might be a reason for the sale........

Also who are u buying it from? Ideally buy low mileage car from an older person or family with recently deceased older relative..... Sounds horrible but these r the best deals.

Ask yourself, does the person seem trustworthy????

It is a myth that you cant get your money back from private sale if the car breaks down straight away etc.

make sure you save copy of advert, all text/email messages which state that the car is in 'excellent working condition' stuff like that. So you can sue/get money back if it blows up!

Check online for reliablity of the model etc. from reviews.

Check its legit and not stolen :
https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

check the mot history so not a repair job car :
https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
RoyalSheepy
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by hteqw)
Check its legit and not stolen :
https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

check the mot history so not a repair job car :
https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
That's not the website to check the vehicle's background... A HPI check is required. That link provided only shows the Tax and MOT status.
hteqw
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
That's not the website to check the vehicle's background... A HPI check is required. That link provided only shows the Tax and MOT status.
Yes, Sheepy is correct.

It also show MOT history, which may flag up cause for alarm (but dont be too worried, check the details first, as most olders cars have failed MOT at some point, could be the smallest reason like blown light etc).

Also, u can check mileage adds up and is consistent.

Check the V5 registration document before you buy ( so it matches car details), and look for any obvious repair damage etc...

Ideally OP, u want to bring someone who knows a bit about motors with you.

Don't forget the basics:
if it sounds too good to be true....................
if the seller is pressuring you in any way, rushing you to buy etc......
Dont even think about buying without seeing the car and documents in person.

Dont be afraid to haggle. A nice thick wad of cash can easily sway someone to knock off some of the asking price.

Dont be afraid to walk away if something feels off, there is no shortage of cars on the market.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (35)
14.06%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.43%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (51)
20.48%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (37)
14.86%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (31)
12.45%
How can I be the best version of myself? (74)
29.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed